• Cashman Quotes From Today’s Press Conference

Posted by on December 18th, 2008 · Comments (7)

Via Ed Price -

• Cashman said he had plotted to go after Sabathia for more than a year; it’s why he passed on trading prospects for Johan Santana. Instead of spending talent and money on Santana, Cashman wanted to get Sabathia for just the cash.

• Cashman on Burnett’s injury history (10 DL trips from 2000 to 2007): “He’s a bona fide front-line starter, when he’s healthy. I know there’s risk to it at the same time, based on the past history. So we’re hopeful that luck will be on our side.”

• Cashman on Andy Pettitte: “We’d like to have Andy back, and I know he’d like to come back. That’s set up for maybe a positive end result. It doesn’t guarantee it.”

So, for the record, Cashman prefers having Hughes and Sabathia over having Santana without Hughes, Cashman hopes that he’ll get lucky and Burnett will not get hurt, and (as of now) it looks like Pettitte returning is not a lock (as some have recently suggested that it could be)…

Just making a record of all this…as it could be interesting to look back at this someday.

Comments on Cashman Quotes From Today’s Press Conference

December 18th, 2008 | 6:38 pm

———-
      Actually, it’s fun to go back sometimes and read some of the comments here and and there to see the different viewpoints or how accurate/off they are.

2. Corey
      December 18th, 2008 | 6:43 pm

ya i’ve done that before…good times

3. Corey
      December 18th, 2008 | 6:45 pm

oh and for what it’s worth, listening to Cashman on the FAN today, it sounded to me like he’s going to get a bat…He keeps sayin he’s content with CF, and we know what happened last time he did that…

4. kia
      December 18th, 2008 | 8:26 pm

Steve what did you think about Burnett’s response when the reporter pointed out to him about his trips to the DL?

5. December 18th, 2008 | 10:15 pm

I was more impressed with this from AJ:

So did Pavano offer any advice on things not to do?

“I only listen to some things Carl says,” Burnett said with a laugh. “I’ve played with Carl. I know Carl. Carl’s a beauty.”

6. butchie22
      December 18th, 2008 | 10:45 pm

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. BTW I’m not a Pavano fan either! I followed this guy in Toronto and he had some gems of stupidity he used to knock out all the time. It’s funny how Burnett waited 2 years to follow in Halladay’s footsteps, he didn’t really start paying attention to his work ethic until it was time to walk and land another big contract. Like Cash Man, anything that comes from that former Marlins/Jay player is suspect. He couldn’t handle what little heat and press attention in media lite Toronto, I can’t imagine how he’ll react when the proverbial crap hits the fan. Can anyone say Ed Whitson?

Vis-a-vis Sabathia, I agree with that ironically. In retrospect it wasn’t the greatest idea BUT the Santana trade would have required both money and talent. And the talent given up by the Yankees, would have gone up driven by the Red Sox bid. Bill Smith, the new Twins GM at the time, preferred the Red Sox offer for Santana.

Look last year was hardly a great one for Pettitte but he should come back. He is someone who can pitch effectively in New York and that is a rare commodity in baseball. Pettitte should have been brought in after the Yanks got CC and Teixeira but Cash Man went with another plan.

7. MJ
      December 19th, 2008 | 9:03 am

Cashman prefers having Hughes and Sabathia over having Santana without Hughes
      —————-
      I no longer hold Cashman in high esteem but I certainly agree with that statement. I’d rather have Sabathia/Hughes over Santana any day.