• TSN Todd Jones Rips Yanks & Their Fans

Posted by on December 28th, 2008 · Comments (10)

Retired Tigers closer Todd Jones weighs in on the Yankees recent moves at TSN -

Life is about to get interesting for the Yankees and their newcomers. Guys who sign big deals usually come to town feeling like they have to live up to their new pile of cash. But with so many of the highest-paid dudes on one club, A.J. can slide in almost unnoticed. Even Big Tex can hope to be shielded by Alex Rodriguez, or at least take a lesson from him about living up to the pressure of a new deal.

Now that the Yankees have spent so much and have future Hall of Famers up and down their roster, they’re supposed to win. Anything short of reaching the World Series will be a disappointment. That is no way to go through a season. Baseball turns into a job really fast when you strap such an 800-pound gorilla on your back the first day of spring training and carry it around during a six-month-long regular season (and perhaps into the postseason).

I wonder if Yankees fans ever blush. What’s so special about pulling for the bully at the end of the street who beats up on the smallest kid in town? What’s cool is when you’re rooting for a team that comes from nowhere. Most of us like the underdogs, and they still have their day in baseball, as we saw with the Rays this past season.

The Yankees should know by now that money can’t buy a championship. You know, I have a feeling this won’t turn how the Yankees are planning.

And, the countdown for Hank’s reply starts…now.

Comments on TSN Todd Jones Rips Yanks & Their Fans

1. thenewguy
      December 28th, 2008 | 7:30 pm

i hope (and assume) that you don’t take this at all seriously, Steve. This is all the same old stuff rehashed, except this time by an extremely awful closer.

————————-

I think we’ve known that since 2001, but does that mean we should stop spending money? Does NOT spending money win championships?

——————————-

If getting to the World Series counts as “having their day,” then the Yankees “had their day” twice since their last WS victory.

———————–

Hasn’t this been the case for quite some time now?

I mean, TODD JONES? Come on. The guy is a bum.

2. clintfsu813
      December 28th, 2008 | 7:46 pm

Todd Jones AKA Captain Obvious

3. deadrody
      December 28th, 2008 | 8:02 pm

WAH! My name is Todd Jones, I never won shit. But now I’m an EXPERT!!! I hate the Yankees. WAaaaahhhh…….

Get a life, Todd. Here’s a clue – Yankee fans couldn’t give a crap what you or anyone else thinks, so no, we don’t blush, and we don’t apologize for that.

4. AndrewYF
      December 28th, 2008 | 8:42 pm

Watching a bunch of superstars fall flat once every 15 years is still a hell of a lot more fun than watching a bunch of poorly put-together retread nobodies (but they aren’t paid a lot of money!!!!1one!!!) play well once every 15 years.

Yes, it’s much more fun rooting for the bully than rooting for the self-pitying nobody.

5. AndrewYF
      December 28th, 2008 | 9:15 pm

And, I know exactly why Jones is making this argument. He knows first hand what it’s like to have the pressure to win it all and fall absolutely flat on your face. The Tigers are such a complete mess right now. He’s simply jealous that the Yankees don’t actually suck for the forseeable future like his Tigers do.

6. JeremyM
      December 28th, 2008 | 11:10 pm

You know, I’ve been a Yankee fan since 1987, but I guess I’ll take his advice and just start rooting for every underdog team that comes down the pike, because that will be so much more fun.

7. Evan3457
      December 29th, 2008 | 12:28 am

That’s right, JeremyM, I’m right there with you…

I’ve been a Yankees fan for 42 years, but now that I read what Jones has to say, I understand what all these other fans are complaining about with regards to bullies, and I vow to henceforth not root for the Yanks anymore…

…just as soon as the MLBPA agrees to a salary cap…

…and all the college football fans in Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Louisiana and California stop rooting for the Longhorn, the Red Raiders, the Sooners, the Cornhuskers, the Gators, the Seminoles, the Hurricanes, the Bulldogs, the Wolverines, the Buckeyes, the Nittany Lions, the Tigers, and those oh-so-honest Trojans. (I’d mention Indianans and the Fighting Irish, but that seems to be pointless nowadays.)

…and likewise for the basketball fans of Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Indiana, Kentucky, Lousiville, Cincinnati, U Conn, Florida (again), Arizona, and any other big college basketball program that all of a sudden gets a new coach, and miraculously goes from 10 years of 9-17 to 28-5 and a trip to the Sweet 16, or even the Final Four.

It’s not fair? That’s the way it goes. Is it fair that New England went 11-5 and is out of the playoffs, while San Diego went 8-8 and is in the playoffs?

Guess what? Not everything in life that is not 100% fair should be “fixed”.

8. butchie22
      December 29th, 2008 | 12:06 pm

Look, imagine if the Mets spent like drunken sailors and the Yanks were the odd man, out? I remember when the Mets were dominant in the NYC(I grew up on Long Island) and the periods the Yankees sucked. In the 80s, when Steinbrenner made stupid signings and spent money , no one complained…why? They had no success to speak of and didn’t make the playoffs til 95 again. Now that they have had a modicum of success by their new lofty standards. I must admit that it is ridiculous that the Yankees spend so much yet other teams like the Red Sox have spent relatively much less money than the Yanks and have won 2 championships in 4 years. BTW, Jones is not the only guy who feels like this BUT all “dose” bums would be the first in line for every bit of the Yankees’ filthy lucre!

Evan when you say that you have been a Yankee fan for 42 years is that in Mad Dog years or what? I remember when Mad Dog said that he was a SF Giants fan for 50 years, when he was only 42 at the time. He actually became one at around 10 when he when to a SF Giant signing in the NYC area. Just curious…….

December 29th, 2008 | 12:26 pm

————
      No need to imagine, we lived through it; head over to your local library and see if they have a copy of Klapisch & Harper’s “The Worst Team Money Could Buy: The Collapse of the New York Mets”

10. Evan3457
      December 29th, 2008 | 7:20 pm

No, Butchie; 1967. 42 seasons.

My earliest Yankee memory is as a 7-year old watching the Yanks on WPIX-TV with my Dad, and hearing Phil Rizzuto declaim with glee about a big RBI hit for Jerry Kenney (very rare, indeed).