• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 12/29/08

Posted by on December 29th, 2008 · Comments (26)

Feel free to use this post as a place for you to comment on anything Yankees-related (or within reach of tagging the bag of being Yankees-related on a decent slide) today. It could be a casual conversation offering, or, something you saw in the news, or something very detailed that you want to share that’s within the territory of Yankeeland.

Or, comment on something that someone else has posted here in the comments…

Have fun. Play nice. And, remember, keep it Yankees-focused.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 12/29/08

1. clintfsu813
      December 29th, 2008 | 10:08 am

Hey Steve, I saw a recent article on Bugs and Cranks about The Yankees not showing Wang any respect, and also calling him our “#3″ starter at this point. Any thoughts about Wang and his lack of respect?

December 29th, 2008 | 11:55 am

Any thoughts about Wang and his lack of respect?
      ——–
      Much ado about nothing. The Yankees’ rotation is fronted by 3 very good pitchers. Too much is made out of spots in the rotation. Carl Pavano was the opening day starter in 2007, I don’t think anyone considered him the ace of the Yankees staff.

December 29th, 2008 | 12:01 pm

Given the recent entries on the actions of Cashman, thought it would be relevant to post an entry from Paul DePodesta’s blog on process;

4. butchie22
      December 29th, 2008 | 12:12 pm

Wang doesn’t have the stuff of Burnit BUT I like him better as a pitcher and a person. To me Wang has been a very good 2c/3a type of pitcher not an ace. Wang has actually pitched big games (some performances were terrible and some were OK) unlike the new Number 2 ( Prisoner reference to anyone paying attention) who has never pitched a big game in his life. However, pretty soon people will see how Burnit has the stuff of an ace and pitches not even like a 5th starter but rather like a AAAA type of pitcher! Then Wang will be the new Number 2………

5. YankCrank
      December 29th, 2008 | 12:40 pm

I’m so damn sick of your Burnett bashing butchie. I don’t care how much you hate the guy, I don’t care how many Blue Jays games you used to watch, I don’t care if your personal feelings towards him have resulted in you labeling him “Toronto’s A-Rod,” I don’t care if you think he has never pitched a big game in his life, in all…I just don’t care. Everybody else, even the NoMass guys who hate him more than anybody on this planet, have moved on and accepted him as a member of the 09-13 Yankees.

Get over it, he’s a Yankee now. For five years he will be wearing a Yankee uniform and there’s absolutely nothing you can do about it. It’s really annoying and you sound like a 10-year-old when you keep complaining about AJ Burnett. Quit being a baby and quit showering these chat forums with your anti-Burnett bullshit.

6. Sicilian Lou
      December 29th, 2008 | 1:47 pm

Hey Steve, i was wondering if you can help me out.. I am trying to get some information regarding the amount of revenue MLB paid to the teams and what percentage of it is used for minor league development?..I been trying to call MLP commissioners office but Bud and I are not on speaking terms these days.. lol

December 29th, 2008 | 2:16 pm

———
      ooo-fah!

I’d be surprised if you could get that information. Good luck finding out.

8. Sicilian Lou
      December 29th, 2008 | 2:30 pm

Yeah… I can see your for the old school.. lol.. ooo-fah.. I heard on ESPN last week that the so called small market teams pay their instructors and scouts mega bucks!!.. My point on this is to prove that some organization pay for FA others use it to sign scouts and coaches.. Just would like to have those figures…fyi.. The best job in baseball in addition to being a FA hoping the Yankees sign you, but being a scout for the Rays.. They get paid north of a 1 million dollars..

December 29th, 2008 | 3:09 pm

——-
      I’d rather be a LOOGY. Throw maybe 10-15 pitches, then watch the rest of the game. Make big money, and pitch into your 40′s. Bounce around the league. Maybe take your game overseas.

10. MJ
      December 29th, 2008 | 3:19 pm

Carl Pavano was the opening day starter in 2007
      ———–
      I remember what a big deal everyone made about that.

I agree with you. Where you pitch in the rotation doesn’t really matter. Furthermore, with off-days, rain delays, etc. the rotation gets jumbled up a few times during the year anyway.

11. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      December 29th, 2008 | 3:20 pm

To me Wang has been a very good 2c/3a type of pitcher …

________________________

Someday Butchie you should favor us with an explanation of your pitching categories. Are there really three subcategories within each “1″ “2″ “3″ “4″ and “5″?

If “5C” exists, is he, like, worse than replacement level? Is a “5C” the guy who gets called up, blown out, and never makes another major league appearance again?

And 2C/3A – how do you tell the difference between 2C and 2B? Is 2B just a solid number 2, but 2A is the type who might be a “1″ on another team? But haven’t you also mentioned 1aaa before? How the heck do they compare to the 2s? (that is the plural of the “two” category, not another category called 2-S)

In the meantime, let me ask this question in a way that relates to the Yankees:

Does the Red Sox acquisition of Brad Penny do anything to change your opinion of their respective off-seasons? Personally I think its a good move and that Penny is a better bet to be an impact pitcher than Bartolo Colon was last season, assuming he’s healthy. I think a former Dodger “ace” moved to the A.L. and slotted as a four or five definitely makes us stronger, keeps Masterson in the pen and Buchholz and Bowden as depth rather than guys being relied on.

December 29th, 2008 | 3:26 pm

Personally I think its a good move and that Penny is a better bet to be an impact pitcher than Bartolo Colon was last season…
      ————-
      Not surprising, given that Colon was coming off several mediocre seasons with the Halos.

Given the two, I’d take Penny.

Having said that, it’s a shrewd move, as was the pickup of Colon last season. It’d be a nice move if the Sox were able to land Smoltz as well (I’m surprised more teams haven’t shown interest)

13. December 29th, 2008 | 5:34 pm

clintfsu813 – we were out today, all day – took the kids to NYC.

But, I should have something up on Wang in the next day or less, FYI.

14. December 29th, 2008 | 5:34 pm

Sicilian Lou – I’m not sure there’s a way to find out what teams do with that money.

15. Sicilian Lou
      December 29th, 2008 | 6:18 pm

Steve, I think you may be right. Can I ask you another question.. Do you know where I can get the break down of what money each team gets from the Revenue MLB laid out and who got the Luxury tax amount?.. I been fishing the net all day and Bud is tight lipped on this.. Any thoughts as to why??

16. jmeisner
      December 29th, 2008 | 6:23 pm

Hey, this is a totally random question, but who do you guys think is a bigger bust: Carl Pavano or Kei Igawa? Though Pavano was incredibly maddening, I would argue that Igawa is even worse. Between the Yankees winning bid ($26 million) and his contract (5 years, $20 million), he’s costing the Yankees more money than Pavano (though maybe not when luxury tax is considered) and he’s tying up the 40-man for a year longer.

December 29th, 2008 | 6:32 pm

who do you guys think is a bigger bust: Carl Pavano or Kei Igawa?
      —————
      Define “bust.” Pavano was a proven mediocrity that lucked into a career year, Igawa was expected to be a back end of the rotation starter that didn’t pan out.

If I had to acquire one or the other, I would go with Igawa.

December 29th, 2008 | 6:32 pm

clintfsu813 – we were out today, all day – took the kids to NYC.
      —-
      Anything interesting?

19. Sicilian Lou
      December 29th, 2008 | 6:34 pm

Hey, this is a totally random question, but who do you guys think is a bigger bust: Carl Pavano or Kei Igawa?————-

Hmmm… I wonder how Cashman might answer this question?. LOL.. Carl, well he was hurt and just stole the Yankees money.. Igawa, well, he had no business even being considered to pitch in the Majors..
      So, I guess to answer this question would be which is the biggest mistake cashman made.. Well, when they are this bad.. does first prize or second place really matter.. They are both horrible…

20. Sicilian Lou
      December 29th, 2008 | 6:39 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Yankees never sign a pitcher out of Japan ever again, considering what unmitigated disasters Irabu and Igawa have been.———————

well… Scary as it might sound to us Yankee fans.. The Tokyo Giants and Yankees have a contract to do more business in the future.. Hopefully its not pitching…

21. MJ
      December 29th, 2008 | 10:00 pm

————-
      It is, among other things, a cross-promotional arrangement.

22. jmeisner
      December 29th, 2008 | 10:25 pm

As long as it’s cross-promotional and not cross-pitching, that’s fine with me

23. KingBen
      December 29th, 2008 | 10:39 pm

Nady,Horne+ for Nelson Cruz, German Duran+

Nelson Cruz will be much cheaper and far more useful on the bench in 2009 than Nady. He plays better defense, has a cannon arm, speed to run the bases, huge power. If it turns out he’s turned a corner and keeps his OBP up, he can start in RF in 2010 and be under team control. He screams Carlos Quentin to me.

I heard Texas was interested in the Yankee Surplus, think Cashman is in on Cruz? I figure he at least peaked if the Rays were trying to get him (but chose Joyce instead) for Edwin Jackson.

24. December 29th, 2008 | 10:48 pm

Sicilian Lou – I could not find a thing on it.

25. December 29th, 2008 | 10:53 pm

Raf – nothing crazy.

We took the kids to get a nice look at Times Square. We went over to see the big tree and skating rink at RC. We also stopped by SNY for a second. After getting some lunch at Rosen’s Deli and Restaurant we went into St. Patrick’s Cathedral. Then we went over to Saks to see their window. On our way down to see Lord and Taylor’s window we stopped into the New York Public Library on 5th/42nd. (It truly is beautiful in there.) After checking out the window’s at L&T’s, we quickly stopped by Macy*s windows. Then, after 5 hours of bopping around, we came home.

December 30th, 2008 | 9:08 am

Cool, sounds like a good time. Did something similar a couple of weeks ago, just hanging out by RC, and seeing the windows @ Saks, American Girl, Macys & Lord & Taylor.

The best thing about outings like that, is that regarding the kids, feed them, bathe them, then put them to bed :)

Of course, you’re pretty tired as well :D