• Wild Thought: Trevor Hoffman

Posted by on December 31st, 2008 · Comments (9)

Here’s today’s wild thought from me.

Yes, he’s old. And, yes, there’s got to be concerns on his health. But, would it be crazy to offer Trevor Hoffman a $4 million contract loaded with incentives to set-up for Mo Rivera in 2009? It could buy some time for the kids like David Robertson and Mark Melancon. Then again, it could work out just as well as when the Yankees brought in Jimmy Wynn, Jose Cruz, Jesse Orosco, John Mayberry, George Scott, Rob Murphy, Buddy Groom, etc.

Comments on Wild Thought: Trevor Hoffman

1. Evan3457
      December 31st, 2008 | 5:56 pm

I don’t know where else to put this, and if you’re reading here, then you already know it, but Steve, your site has been hacked by what looks like Islamic hackers.

Why? I have no idea.

2. KingBen
      December 31st, 2008 | 6:56 pm

Because the Yankees are the evil Empire.

3. Evan3457
      December 31st, 2008 | 7:15 pm

Well, yeah, OK.

I guess.

4. Evan3457
      December 31st, 2008 | 9:53 pm

Hey! Unhacked.

Cool.

As to Trevor Hoffman, I doubt he’d do that well, but they could do worse, I suppose.

5. sanair
      December 31st, 2008 | 10:22 pm

Hoffman is no Mariano Rivera, but he does have a resume better than most other closers in baseball (history!). I’m sure he could find a closer’s position elsewhere for decent coin.

6. OldYanksFan
      December 31st, 2008 | 11:34 pm

We’re in pretty good shape. No more old guys with no future.

That was quite a hack, no?

7. Jeet
      January 1st, 2009 | 1:43 am

I was worried about the site for a while. Anyways I do not believe that Hoffman is needed for the bullpen, as it would be another Tom Gordon Situation.

8. Justin
      January 1st, 2009 | 7:04 pm

…another Tom Gordon Situation.
      ====================================
      I’m confused. Is this supposed to be a bad thing? Because I would kind of kill for another Tom Gordon Situation.

9. Justin
      January 1st, 2009 | 7:10 pm

To clarify: If we could be sure that Hoffman would pitch as well for the Yankees as Gordon did, the Yankees should sign him in a second. I don’t think Hoffman would be nearly that good, so I don’t think the Yankees should sign him. But let us not besmirch the good name of Tom Gordon. Dude was a great eighth-inning guy.

Also, the Tom Gordon Situation sounds like a John Grisham novel. Which would then be made into a bad movie starring Cuba Gooding Jr.