• What Yankees-Blogs Do You Read?

Posted by on January 2nd, 2009 · Comments (22)

I started writing this blog in April of 2005. Since that time, it seems like the Yankees-related blog scene has exploded. If you told me, today, that there were over 150 Yankees-related blogs currently publishing on a somewhat daily basis, it would not shock me. In fact, there’s so many Yankees-related blogs out there, now, it’s hard to keep up-to-date with what’s out there and who reads what. To that end, I thought it would be interesting to do a little survey to see what Yankees-related blogs YOU READ.

I’ve listed almost 90 blogs in the survey. If I’ve missed one that you think deserves some sort of mention, list it in the comments section of this entry. And, if I’ve missed YOUR BLOG in the survey, sorry – it wasn’t intentional. More so, it was probably just an administrative error. Somewhat related, if you have a Yankees-related blog and it’s listed in this survey, and you want your readers to vote for you, feel free to link back to this survey on your blog.

I’ll leave this survey running for a week or so and then will share the results.

Click here to take the survey

Update January 3rd, 9:32 AM – Bad news! There was a tech-glitch with the survey…326 votes in. Sorry about that. I’ll post a new link to a new survey later this AM.

Update January 3rd, 9:52 AM – OK. I’ve created the survey again. The link to take it is below. Again, sorry about this reboot. And, if you were one of the 326 who voted before, please vote again now. Thanks in advance!

Click here to take the survey.

Update January 3rd, 10:06 pm – The survey/poll idea has been scrapped. See my comment made at 10:05 pm today (in the comments section below) for details.

Comments on What Yankees-Blogs Do You Read?

1. January 2nd, 2009 | 3:43 pm

LOL! The 1st three people to take and complete the survey did not choose WasWatching as a blog that they read – even ‘tho they read about the survey at WasWatching.com!

2. January 2nd, 2009 | 11:27 pm

[...] Steve Lombardi over at WasWatching.com is asking his readers what Yankees blogs they read. He listed a bunch of blogs..including Zell’s Pinstripe Blog. Visit his site and take the [...]

3. January 2nd, 2009 | 11:47 pm

Hmmm…

We’ve had 261 people answer the survey so far and only 120 of them checked that they read WasWatching.com…very interesting.

4. Pat F
      January 3rd, 2009 | 12:02 am

steve – for me, there are five absolute must read yankees blogs every day, multiple times per day. in no particular order:

1. lohud
      2. riveraveblues
      3. nomaas
      4. replacementlevel
      5. waswatching

add mlbtraderumors for all baseball news, and chad jennings in the summer to supplement Mike A’s work at riverave with the minors, and you’re good to go!

5. hallofamer2000
      January 3rd, 2009 | 3:07 am

Everyday I read Pete Abraham’s, Chad Jennings’, Mike Ashmore’s, WasWatching, RiverAveBlues, and NoMaas.

6. scott311
      January 3rd, 2009 | 1:49 pm

I like River Ave. Blues, LoHud, Zell’s, Pinstripes PA, Scott Proctors Arm, RLYB and NoMaas.

WasWatching is also a favorite. Keep up the good work man!

7. January 3rd, 2009 | 5:00 pm

[...] at WasWatching.com is running a survey of Yankee blogs. In the saturated realm of Yankee blogs, he wants everyone to vote on which ones you the [...]

8. January 3rd, 2009 | 7:41 pm

Just a heads-up: I checked some the interim voting results now and it’s like the 1957 All-Star Game all over again…with the Reds taking over the NL squad due to some ballot-stuffing. So, in order to combat this childish move…I urge the rest of the you to vote for the blogs that you like…and make sure they are represented in the totals.

9. January 3rd, 2009 | 10:05 pm

Bad news. The integrity of the survey has been compromised. The service used to support the survey allows for people to vote more than once. Related, I had hoped that people would be mature enough to use the honor system and vote only once…heck, maybe twice…say, once from home and once from work…but nothing more than that.

I under-estimated the immaturity level of many who surf the ‘net with that call. Consider the poll closed. My apologies to all who had a legit interest in this…and who may have also linked to the poll on their site.

If I can find another poll host who is free, and who allows unlimited responses – but who can also limit ballot stuffing via some IP tracking or something – maybe I’ll do this again some time.

10. January 3rd, 2009 | 10:14 pm

Actually, I should not be shocked by this miscreant behavior. I see it all the time on the internet. I’ve seen people try to start trouble on discussion boards all the time…just to get their rocks off. And, I see it on blogs. Shoot, you see it sometimes with one blog starting trouble with another…

Me? I’m closer to 50 than I am to 20 – so, I don’t really enjoy these childish games. But, I guess that’s what I get for playing/blogging in a sandbox that’s full with babies acting like babies…

11. January 3rd, 2009 | 10:25 pm

Further, I’m always surprised at some joker who starts a blog, or who has a blog, where they do an entry on me…or several.

Yeah, there was one guy who seemed to start a new blog every other month and 50% of his posts were rip jobs on me, mentioning me by name, linking here, etc.

And, quite often, those same jokers would post a comment here, or try to, in order to try and get some readers for their blog.

Just today, a child tried to promote their blog in a comment that was caught here by Akismet as SPAM – good job! – and this same child started a blog one month ago where one of their first entries was an attack at me. Now, that’s a pair.

And, that joker who would keep starting blogs where almost every other entry was about me? At one time, he actually e-mailed me asking to do a joint-venture because he thought we could be like Mike and the Mad Dog or something…at the same time where he was ripping me, almost daily, at his blog.

I don’t get it. What makes anyone think it’s OK to attack me, by name, while they’re hiding behind some internet-mask of a fake name on their blog, and then come into my blog looking for me do to them a favor? Either they’re THAT stupid or they think that I am…well, I’m not. Hopefully, someday, they’ll grow up and will figure it out…again, someday.

12. January 3rd, 2009 | 10:31 pm

This “baby” stuff goes even further than some of this stuff too.

There’s another Yankees-related blog out there who routinely uses my blog as a resource – it’s easy to tell, as it often seems that they post something on a particular topic anywhere from an hour to a few hours after I post it (and bring it up) – and they never give the requisite “hat tip” link back to me. Since I’ve seen them give hat tips in the past to other blogs, I know they’re doing this with me, specifically, because they don’t want to give me (or my blog) any credit.

It’s sad. I understand that some blogs find things on other sites/blogs. I find things on sites like BaseballThinkFactory. And, I’m always happy to give the “hat tip.” I think anyone would be cool with seeing another blog use their stuff – as long as they’re willing to “hat tip/link” back to the source and give credit where credit is due.

13. January 3rd, 2009 | 10:55 pm

Last story…promise! But, this is a good one. I once caught the lead writer at another Yankees-blog posting a comment at WasWatching where he called me a bunch of names and slamming my blog, etc. However, it was under a name other than the one that he usually uses to leave comments at WasWatching. (Yes, he posts here often – still does as a matter of fact.) I was able to see it was the same person via the IP address tagged on the comment.

When I called him on that – and told him that I thought it was low for one blogger to leave a comment at another blog with the sole intent being to cause trouble – he gave a story that the comment was made from his apartment, and his PC/ISP, but, it was his roommate that made the comment and he had nothing to do with it.

Now, usually, I would give the person the benefit of the doubt. Sure, it’s possible that his story could be true. However, this same blogger had made enrties at his blog in the past where they’ve mentioned me in a less than flattering light. When I called them on this, their response was “Oh, it was meant in good fun” – but, clearly, if you saw the posts, that was not the case.

Further, at their blog, they will allow their commenters to go on (and on, sometimes) in comments (on occasion) where the chat topic is about me in a negative way. And, when this is brought to my attention by someone who read it and then e-mails me, I’ve never seen it where the authors of the blog would jump in and say something like “Let’s get this discussion back on topic and away from an attack on someone who has nothing to do with the topic.” And, I have never seen them say something like “If you want to discuss another Yankees-blogger, perhaps you should do it at his blog, and not here, where he can see it and respond if they feel that it’s warranted.”

Nope. It’s much easier to sit there, do nothing, and allow all these wanna-be tough guys pretend to be tough and attack someone who’s not aware of it (at the time).

So, when I see this type of stuff, you’ll have to excuse me if I have a hard time believing the “Yes, it was my gun, smoking, in my hand, when it happened – but it wasn’t me who pulled the trigger!” excuse.

Like I said, I don’t have time to play games with people who are young enough to be my children and who are looking to just cause trouble and/or waste my time. It’s much easier to ignore them and hope that they will, in time, grow up.

14. ESB
      January 4th, 2009 | 1:02 am

So because you’re old, you think you are in a position of more authority? That’s a laughable joke.

I take it by your anonymously veiled references that you’re talking about some beef you’ve had with the writers of RAB, but, Steve, as a long-time reader of both sites, let me tell you that you should take a good, long look in the mirror if you’re telling other people to grow up. You should be embarrassed by the way you’ve handled yourself and by the accusations you’ve thrown around here whether they’re true or not.

If you don’t like what the RAB commenters say about you, grow a thicker skin. You write on the Internet; people are going to criticize you. That’s life.

You’re calling people “child[ren]” and “wanna-be tough guys” as though you’re taking the higher road when you are most definitely not. Numerous other Yankee blogs linked here to help you out. If you can’t deal with that and have some deep-rooted issues, you should try to contact those involved and act more mature. This display makes me want to unsubscribe from what is generally a top-notch sports blog.

15. January 4th, 2009 | 5:28 am

Hey Steve.

I’ll veer away from negativity for a moment to say that I enjoy reading your work here, and while I have disagreed with you at times, what you provide is always quality. You work hard and that’s evident in what you produce (especially as a 1-man show, I can relate). Also, as corny as it sounds, I’ll also never forget the day you linked to my blog and the subsequent uptick in hits my site received. It was literally a, “OMG, I’m official!” sort of moment. You have helped out a ton of other blogs, so that should certainly be appreciated by others who stop by simply to criticize.

In addition, to my fellow bloggers, I would never outwardly disrespect another Yankee blogger (in my posts or comments) and that should be a rule we all stick by since we need to feed off of each other to survive. If you have a disagreement, that’s fine, post it as such, but there’s no need to literally rip into someone with your readers. That’s just not how it should be done and I’m speaking in general terms.

16. January 4th, 2009 | 5:31 am

Oh, and I must say that many bloggers seem to rip stuff from other people without the proverbial “hat tip.” I’ve had people literally take the exact layout I have and run with it. It seems like common practice, actually.

January 4th, 2009 | 10:35 am

Wow! I had clicked on the link thinking that the reason the poll was closed was because of some other glitch…

18. January 4th, 2009 | 12:04 pm

Try polldaddy.com. It checks cookies and/or IP. It’s worked well for me.

19. January 4th, 2009 | 12:06 pm

Thanks Mantlemurcer – I’ll consider that next time.

20. Jason@IIATMS
      January 4th, 2009 | 8:33 pm

Hang in there, Steve. From one to another…

21. January 4th, 2009 | 11:00 pm

I am very curious to see the outcome of this survey. It was a good idea to think of.

22. Jake1
      January 5th, 2009 | 1:41 pm

The fact that people would come here and then not check WW in a poll is hilarious. Keep up the good work, Steve.