• Hard To Let Go…

Posted by on January 17th, 2009 · Comments (14)

In two weeks, it will be the 2-year anniversary of when I dropped 65 pounds. Since I’ve maintained that loss all this time, today, I decided to it was time to go through all my shirts, keeping the mediums and the “small” larges – and making a pile of the “large” larges and extra-larges. Most of what I own falls into that latter size set – since that’s the shirt size I needed pretty much from the ’90′s through 2006. Why do this? Well, it creates a lot more free space in my dresser and closet. Besides, it’s like seven degrees out today…a great day for indoor overdue chores.

The game plan is to take that pile of shirts that are too big and give-away the ones in good condition and toss the ones that are pretty much past their prime. And, this includes some of my older Yankees T-shirts.

Is it just me, or, is it hard to throw out Yankees shirts – no matter how aged, ratty, faded or out-of-size they may be? There’s just something, at least me, about Yankee fan gear where it just doesn’t seem right to let it hit the trash. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that Yankees T-shirts are right up there with the American Flag or something. But, I dunno…I almost feel like me, we, us…you know, Yankees fans…should hang on to these puppies even if they no longer serve the attire purpose they were meant to fill.

Then again, I once owned a Rolling Stones T-shirt for something close to 16 years…so, maybe this whole thing is just the pack-rat in me?

Comments on Hard To Let Go…

1. Nick-YF
      January 17th, 2009 | 12:58 pm

Steve, congrats on the weight loss and maintaining it.

It’s funny when I was a kid I had a few Yanks T-shirts from those 80′s teams with Winfield, Henderson, Mattingly. My mom threw them out and now I regret not having her hold onto them for the time when I have kids. My future kids missed on the chance to be the hipsters on the block.

By the way, does anyone know if they’ve started selling Sabathia or Teixeira shirts yet?

2. January 17th, 2009 | 1:36 pm

Nick, I believe they are, but I haven’t seen them yet.

And of course, Steve, if you want to give them away to a 21-year-old Yankee fan who just happens to wear XL… I’m joking.

3. CraftyLefty
      January 17th, 2009 | 2:25 pm

I have an O’Neill shirt from 12 years or so ago that doesn’t fit; but I still haven’t been able to chuck it. But there have been a few ‘uglier’ (for lack of a better term) Yankee shirts I have been able to toss without problem.
      The next time I do my ‘spring cleaning’; I think the Duncan #17 shirt that I got as a gag gift last year might be on the way out.

4. handtius
      January 17th, 2009 | 2:33 pm

When my t-shirts get to the completely unwearable stage, I frame them. Not the whole t-shirt, but I cut out the logo and frame it. usually it’s a 12×12 frame.

Nick, Sabathia’s are on sale. selling out like crazy everywhere. Tex’s should be coming soon.

5. January 18th, 2009 | 11:01 am

Still have my ’96 locker room tee in a drawer somewhere — the collar’s completely frayed and the bottom all stretched out.

It still fits, but I always bought everything a lot bigger than I needed. 13 years later, I still wear it to go to bed or to wear under some heavier clothes in the winter.

I do have a hard time throwing out anything with a memory attached to it, but I would probably have no problem discarding, for example, a “2003 American League Champs” shirt or something of that ilk. ;-)

6. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      January 18th, 2009 | 11:06 am

Following up Pete’s comment about a 2003 ALCS t-shirt, today I was standing in line to get the bagels for the week and I glanced into the restaurant and saw a man in his 70s wearing a 2004 Division Champions hat.

Does anyone here have any 2004 Yankee apparel that they wear with pride?

7. January 18th, 2009 | 11:41 am

Nick-YF, thanks. Brent, trust me, you don’t want the ones I’m tossing. ;-) They’re very old and worn.

8. January 18th, 2009 | 11:43 am

~~I glanced into the restaurant and saw a man in his 70s wearing a 2004 Division Champions hat.

Did he buy this right after the end of that season? And why would you keep wearing it after the historic collapse?~~

Probably got it at the dollar store. I know lots of people in their 70′s who will wear anything if they got it for free or at almost no cost.

9. January 18th, 2009 | 11:44 am

~~Does anyone here have any 2004 Yankee apparel that they wear with pride?~~

I think Brian Cashman still has his “2004 AL East Champs” ring. ;-)

10. lisaswan
      January 18th, 2009 | 11:54 am

Steve, you inspired this morning’s Squawk:

And I saw both Teixeira and Sabathia shirts at the Modells by Grand Central Station when I was there a week and a half ago. They might be sold out now, though.

11. January 18th, 2009 | 6:58 pm

Hey, Lisa, FWIW, I’m still hoping, hard, that we all get to wear our Pettitte shirts one more time in ’09!

12. January 19th, 2009 | 12:00 am

[...] Hard To Let Go…  /  The Productivity, Durability & Consistency Of Abreu  /  Odds and ends [...]

13. lisaswan
      January 20th, 2009 | 10:04 am

Me too, Steve. Me, too.

One other thought about what to do with your old Yankee t-shirts. A bunch of sites on the web offer to make t-shirt quilts!

14. January 20th, 2009 | 12:33 pm