• Quotes On Melky & Garnder

Posted by on January 23rd, 2009 · Comments (16)

Via Anthony McCarron

“They’re both missing something that would make that position more secure,” said a veteran major league scout, who spoke on condition of anonymity. “Right now, Brett Gardner has that outstanding speed but doesn’t hit enough. And Cabrera’s just OK as a hitter and fielder. This could be a gamble.”

“I think [Gardner is] innately a confident guy,” said Mark Newman, who runs the farm system as the Yanks’ VP of baseball operations. “He believes he can be a player. He’s never been a high-profile guy. He is a hugely committed player, and guys with that kind of makeup it’s hard to say they’ll never make it.”

Gardner hit .153 in his first 17 games in the majors last year, but hit .294 over his final 25 after a three-week stint in the minors. The scout noted that Gardner’s speed could be a weapon unlike anything the Yankees currently have.

“If he hits the ball on the ground to the right of second base, they’ll have one hell of a time throwing him out,” said the scout, who last season clocked Gardner to first in 3.5 seconds on a bunt. “I’d spend a lot of time with him on bunting, dragging it and pushing it. He could add another 15 hits a year. And even if he doesn’t get a hit, he can cause the infielders, especially the shortstop, to hurry their throws and they’ll screw it up sometimes.”

But Gardner has struggled at times to keep the ball on the ground. “We don’t want him to hit the ball in the air and he doesn’t want to, either,” Newman said. “He’s aware of it. He’s not a little guy who thinks he should hit home runs. The lion’s share of balls he puts in play need to be flat.

“There were a lot of center fielders like him in the majors 20 years ago. There are not many of them now, but that doesn’t mean his skill set doesn’t translate. Mickey Rivers would be the last time we’ve had anybody like this, so it hasn’t been the typical model for the Yankees. But that doesn’t mean it can’t be.”

Meanwhile, Yankee officials make no secret of the burden facing Cabrera – he has got to win them over after a subpar 2008 in which he lost the job and was banished to the minors, batting just .249 with an OPS (on-base plus slugging) of .642.

“He’s a better player than what he showed last year,” Cashman said. “He took a step backward in his career, but he’s going to take a step forward. But he has to prove it. It’s his career.”

What was wrong last year?

“I don’t know,” [Brian] Cashman said. “Same as a number of guys on the club. We had a number of different guys going through things. But if they have a bad taste in their mouth, they do something about it.”

Added Newman: “He’s got to bounce back. We’ll see. He has to improve and he knows it. I know that Joe (Girardi) and his staff have related that to him.

“I think he can, but it’s really up to him.”

Is it just me, or, does Brian Cashman say “I don’t know” alot – when asked about what happened when something didn’t go well?

Comments on Quotes On Melky & Garnder

1. thenewguy
      January 23rd, 2009 | 10:09 am

What do you want him to say? Jeter sucked? We had lots of injuries? We had Sidney Ponson pitching every 5th day a lot? Cano sucked? Cashman is as much a politician (probably more so even) than a baseball person when he is talking to the media.

Or do you want him to say that the timing on Jeter’s front foot was off, and that made him so poor (as a hypothetical example.) Isn’t that the job of Kevin Long to work on with Jeter? I’m sure Cashman knows what specific players need to do to improve.

What do you want him to say as to why Jeter, Cano, Melky had bad years last year? Do you REALLY think he is just sitting in his office twiddling his thumbs?

I can stand some of your cashman bashing, but you make it seem as though he doesn’t even pay attention. I mean, he isn’t Brian Sabean.

January 23rd, 2009 | 10:17 am

What was wrong last year?
      —————–
      Posada, Wang, Joba got injured, Jeter, Cano, Melky weren’t as good as advertised.

The Yanks were throwing out a lineup that was 4 players short, and they scored some 200 runs less than they did the year prior.

THAT’s what was wrong :)

January 23rd, 2009 | 10:17 am

I mean, he isn’t Brian Sabean.
      ————
      Brian “I am not an idiot” Sabean :D

4. MJ
      January 23rd, 2009 | 10:29 am

Is it just me, or, does Brian Cashman say “I don’t know” alot
      —————–
      I think it’s just you.

5. January 23rd, 2009 | 10:29 am

~~What do you want him to say?~~

What went wrong and the reason behind it.

Everything happens for a reason. And, if he wants to claim ‘bad luck’ – which personally I don’t believe in…as luck is the residue or design – then at least say that.

“I don’t know” is just not acceptable. He should know.

6. MJ
      January 23rd, 2009 | 10:31 am

Is it just me, or, does Brian Cashman say “I don’t know” alot
      ——————
      I think it’s just you. After all, Cashman followed up his “I don’t know” with “We had a number of different guys going through things” so he gave an answer to the question.

I’m not sure I understand what your beef is on this one.

7. January 23rd, 2009 | 10:32 am

~~I think it’s just you.~~

Really, did you google:
      Brian Cashman “I don’t know”

it does turn up a number of news stories, no?

8. January 23rd, 2009 | 10:33 am

~~We had a number of different guys going through things~~

If that’s the reason, then why does he say “I don’t know?”

9. MJ
      January 23rd, 2009 | 10:34 am

If that’s the reason, then why does he say “I don’t know?”
      ————-
      It’s an expression or a mode of speaking. You’re being far to literal here.

10. thenewguy
      January 23rd, 2009 | 10:53 am

If that’s the reason, then why does he say “I don’t know?”
      ————-
      It’s an expression or a mode of speaking. You’re being far to literal here.

————

I agree. I assume this is a verbal conversation he was having with someone and not a highly researched, documented, footnoted, presentation on the “State of the Yankees.” If we was talking to Hal and Randy and said “well, guys, I just don’t know what’s going wrong,” then I would be worried.

And is it wrong to be somewhat perplexed as to why Jeter had a bad year? Or is it wrong to ‘not know’ why so many people got injured? If you want to take him literally, I don’t really have a problem with him not knowing those things.

Steve, I assume you are a voting man. I also assume you realize that Cashman is a political man in his position. Do you want him to call out Jeter? That would not be a good move. Do you want him to call out Cano? I’m sure its already clear to Cano how much he needs to improve this year. Do you want him to say Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy suck? It seems pretty obvious he is acknowledging his lack of faith in them by not having them in his rotation plans (maybe Hughes for 5th starter, but even that is tenuous at best.)

Cashman (generally) knows whats wrong. Simply because he doesn’t want to completely elaborate with Anthony McCarron isn’t a reason to get all apoplectic.

11. YankCrank
      January 23rd, 2009 | 11:06 am

Well stated, newguy

12. January 23rd, 2009 | 12:28 pm

“If that’s the reason, then why does he say “I don’t know?”

verbal crutch? some people say “um” alot, or “you follow” when explaining a situation like in class, or whatever. seems like Brian Cashman says “i don’t know” alot.

again, let me just point out another instance here where maybe being literal larry here kind of hurts the enjoyability of visiting WW.

go ahead and criticize Cashman for moves he’s made, or hasnt made, or deals that went awry or plans that went wrong, all fair game.

but to burn him on his use of a verbal crutch, or like newguy said, in an instance where he isnt exactly ready to spill the beans on his own organizations specific player development scouting reports to some joe schmoe reporter is a little silly.

January 23rd, 2009 | 12:45 pm

Really, did you google:
      Brian Cashman “I don’t know”

it does turn up a number of news stories, no?
      ————
      I’m sure it does. What’s the context?

14. January 23rd, 2009 | 1:03 pm

[...] (Props to WW). [...]

15. January 23rd, 2009 | 1:55 pm

luck is the residue or design
      ======================
      …and the gods help those who help themselves.

Except it’s not and they don’t. But it’s all very American Dreamy.

Sometimes, things happen, and there’s not really anything you could do about it. For example, we can complain about how Jorge Posada is old and they ought to have a better backup than Jose Molina. But, frankly, Jose Molina is a pretty good backup. And they traded for Pudge midseason. Who promptly sucked. So Jorge getting hurt is just bad luck.

Or we can talk about how Jeter is old and might get hurt, so they ought to have a better backup than Angel Berroa. Except that maybe better options weren’t really available for a reasonable price, and of course we wouldn’t rather be spending so much money on backups that they can’t afford someone like Teixeira. So Jeter getting hurt would just be bad luck.

What is Chien Ming Wang getting hurt running the bases if not bad luck? What is Robinson Cano having his worst season by far if not bad luck? For that matter, what was Aaron Small all of a sudden becoming unhittable all those years ago if not good luck?

Of course, I suppose the Yankees could build a bunch of robots who do the same thing every play. And then there would be no question of luck. But it would be pretty boring. Luck is what makes things interesting, after all.

16. Evan3457
      January 23rd, 2009 | 7:39 pm

=============================

And sometime, it IS just luck. Well, partly, just luck:

Cano, 2007 – LD/GB/FB%: 16.9/52.2/30.9; .303/.356/.488

Cano, 2008 – LD/GB/FB%:
      19.4/47.4/33.2; .271/.305/.410

2% more fly balls, 3% more line drives…a 32-point drop in BAVG, and massively decreased power. Some of it was poorer play, and some of it was bad luck.

Here’s another one: Grant Balfour, reliever for the Rays, had a 1.26 ERA last year. His BABIP against was about .210. Anyone wanna bet that doesn’t go up to at least .270, with an ERA of at least 2.75, even if he’s “just as good” in 2009?
      =========================================
      =========================================
      If I were the GM, and someone asked me why my young player flopped, even if I knew exactly why, I almost certainly wouldn’t say it publicly.

1) If it’s systematic, that is, part of his physical weaknesses as a player, I wouldn’t publicize the reason why, especially if I were thinking about trading him down the road.

2) If it’s character, I certainly wouldn’t wash that laundry in public. Nothing good can come from that. Nothing.

In fact, if I were a GM, and I wanted to disagree with writers, or keep the real truth from them, or knock them off the premise of their question without overtly knocking them or looking like I’m Manginian, I probably be saying “I don’t know” to those guys and gals all the frappin’ time.