• Torre Rips A-Rod & Cashman In New Book?

Posted by on January 25th, 2009 · Comments (24)

Back on November 8, 2007, I suggested that Joe Torre’s new book should be called “Torre’s Big Book of Excuses.” Now, today, we’re finding out more about the book.

From the Post -

Scorned skipper Joe Torre is blasting the Yankees – calling many of his former players prima donnas, confessing he stopped trusting the powers that be years before he left the team and charging that general manager Brian Cashman betrayed him.

In an explosive new book called “The Yankee Years,” Torre gets most personal in his attacks against Alex Rodriguez, who he says was called “A-Fraud” by his teammates after he developed a “Single White Female”-like obsession with team captain Derek Jeter and asked for a personal clubhouse assistant to run errands for him.

Torre, who left the Yankees and became manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers after the 2007 season, says Cashman never told the brass that the manager wanted a two-year deal and instead remained silent during Torre’s tense final sitdown with the bosses.

The book also reveals that, during spring training in 1999, team doctors revealed to owner George Steinbrenner that Torre had prostate cancer – even before informing the manager himself.

The 477-page tell-all, which The Post purchased from a city bookstore last week, is written by co-author Tom Verducci, a longtime Sports Illustrated reporter.

And, from Bill Madden -

According to a new book by Sports Illustrated baseball writer Tom Verducci, Torre was a bitter man by the time he left the Yankees in October of 2007, and he takes a few rips at the team that he led for 12 seasons.

In “The Yankee Years,” due to be released on Feb. 3, Torre describes general manager Brian Cashman as a less than supportive ally who betrayed him on several fronts, and says that his star player, Alex Rodriguez, was often referred to by his teammates as “A-Fraud” and was obsessed with his perceived rival, shortstop Derek Jeter.

Of course, it is not entirely shocking that Torre might have bad feelings toward some in the organization, especially Cashman. When he left the Yankees as one of the most successful managers in the history of the game, Torre made it clear that he was not happy with the Yankees’ tepid offer — his base salary would have been cut from $7 million to $5 million — to extend his contract for one year based on incentives. He called the deal, which offered him an extra $1 million per playoff round, an “insult,” saying it would have been less insulting had George Steinbrenner simply fired him.

According to a source familiar with the book, Torre does not step out of character. He simply recites the facts as he saw them and does not unfairly disparage the Yankees. As has been reported, he reiterates the claim that Cashman did not stand up for him at the crucial meeting with the Steinbrenners in Tampa as the 2007 season wound down and the Yankee brass discussed whether to bring him back or not, even though publicly Cashman had let it be known that he wanted Torre back as manager.

According to the source familiar with the book, Torre confronted Cashman about his role in the meeting and the Yankee GM confirmed to him that he had offered no opinions to the Steinbrenners on whether they should upgrade their offer from the one-year deal to the two-year deal Torre wanted.

Torre is expected to appear on the “Late Show With David Letterman” on Feb. 3, and is scheduled to make a book-signing appearance at the Yogi Berra Museum in New Jersey that day, just before he leaves for spring training with the Dodgers in Arizona.

Looks like ol’ Joe will have a money-maker on his hands with this one. Should be a best-seller.

Am I shocked that A-Rod and Cashman, if the reports are true, are getting exposed in this book? No, not really.

Am I shocked that Torre is spilling the beans on them? Sorta/kinda, I guess. Part of me thought Joe was a high-road guy. But, another part of me can see him playing the role of the Vengeful Don…

The MLB Network gets a break with this one. If it truly becomes a hot story, they have the author, Tom Verducci, on their studio team to talk about it.

Something tells me that we’ll be hearing about this one for the next month, bare minimum, until A-Rod shows up for Spring Training. Well, at the least, we now know what the topic will be when Alex has his “Day One” session this year with the media down in Tampa.

Comments on Torre Rips A-Rod & Cashman In New Book?

1. YankCrank
      January 25th, 2009 | 11:28 am

I was initially shocked this morning when I woke up and saw this news on ESPN, just because Torre didn’t seem like the kind of guy to do this. But you know what, from what we’ve seen so far…does any of this surprise you? People don’t like A-Rod? No news there…Yankee front office is a little sketchy? That’s seriously old news.

My point is, he didn’t come out with any shockers, at least none we haven’t heard of yet. The only thing that bothers me is A-Rod is going to get burried with talk about Torre and what happened with the team from 04-07 and honestly, i’m over all that. That team is going to win or lose with A-Rod and I want the guy to be able to relax in spring training, not have to answer questions about his personal affairs and just destroy the baseball. I guess that’s always asking too much though.

2. lisaswan
      January 25th, 2009 | 11:37 am

So much for classy Joe Torre, eh?

3. Joel
      January 25th, 2009 | 12:20 pm

I am surprised by this one. Joe has made plenty of money, and landed on his feet in LA, where he making tons of money, too. He will probably be able to manage as long as he wants.

He must have been really pissed by how he was treated. He now risks severing any ties with the Yankees for the rest of his life. Did he need this at 68 years of age?

4. January 25th, 2009 | 12:44 pm

Anyone who is surprised by this wasn’t watching Joe Torre very closely during his years in New York. The man is a dirtbag–wholly motivated by a hunger for money and celebrity. So much for Tom Verducci’s last shred of credibility too. Enjoy the new Mercedes, Verdooch. You really earned this one.

5. Corey
      January 25th, 2009 | 12:51 pm

lol nice commission link slip in there :P

6. January 25th, 2009 | 12:53 pm

FWIW, I used it already to buy the book.

7. JeremyM
      January 25th, 2009 | 1:51 pm

Torre is a petty man. In his attempt to expose others, he only exposed himself for what I felt he really was. At some point, he decided that he was the one solely responsible for the Yankees’ success, fell asleep at the wheel, and managed to blow the 2003 World Series and the 2004 ALCS with his shoddy managing, all while acting like he was entitled to do whatever he wanted.

The media played along, refusing to ask any tough questions or questioning any of his bizarre strategies- moving A-Rod down to 8th, pitching Weaver, not running on Varitek when Wakefield was pitching, not bunting on Schilling, etc. Torre was supposed to be a “player’s manager” but obviously that was a fraud -no pun intended. Wasn’t he being payed millions because he was supposed to be able to handle the giant player egos in New York? Wasn’t that the rep?

Way to destroy your legacy Torre, but it saved others the trouble of having to do it themselves I guess.

January 25th, 2009 | 2:00 pm

… managed to blow the 2003 World Series and the 2004 ALCS with his shoddy managing
      ———–
      Hardly. See my comments in the other thread WRT the Weaver game. As for 2004, Rivera entered twice with a lead, in games 4 & 5.

9. kia
      January 25th, 2009 | 3:18 pm

Yea let Torre take the high road while the Steinbrenners trash him. I can see Torre had enough from the Yankee brass and who can blame him? Instead of telling Torre personally that if he didnt made it to the WS he will be fired he found out from the media. Did you forget that? What about the fact that they didnt even mentioned him in the last game of the stadium. Who knows how many other things they did to him that we dont know about. Torre had to deal with crazy George for all these years.I dont blame him one bit.

10. Joel
      January 25th, 2009 | 3:44 pm

kia,

I grant you everything you said, but part of what made Torre classy was letting these things speak for themselves. Now he enters the fray, and becomes part of the food fight.

11. kia
      January 25th, 2009 | 4:03 pm

Maybe Torre felt that taking the high road all these years didnt do anything for him.He must have been really upset about the way they treated him. I know that I would be upset if my boss was calling for my head in the media instead of telling me face to face. They really embarrased him. I’m not saying that I would do the same thing. I probably wouldnt have done it but I cant say that I blame him.

12. January 25th, 2009 | 4:10 pm

I could have told you that Cashman didn’t want Torre back…

13. Corey
      January 25th, 2009 | 4:54 pm

has anyone actaully read the book? How do you know what it actually says from what these idiots are saying? For all we know theres 2 pages on this and the rest is praising the yankees

14. clintfsu813
      January 25th, 2009 | 5:05 pm

Nuff said Corey

15. Joel
      January 25th, 2009 | 5:35 pm

Corey,

I understand your point, but stuff like “A-Fraud” and “Single White Female” are going to stick if it makes up even two sentences of the book. That’s just the world we live in. And Torre knows that.

16. Corey
      January 25th, 2009 | 6:35 pm

just cause its the world we live in doesn’t make it right

January 25th, 2009 | 6:47 pm

Well, the A-Fraud crack is nothing new. Anyway, this is much ado about nothing, IMO.

18. sanair
      January 25th, 2009 | 9:29 pm

Can we say Steve has a “Single White Female”-like obsession with General Manager Brian Cashman? :P

19. jmeisner
      January 25th, 2009 | 10:22 pm

“Well, the A-Fraud crack is nothing new.”

Sure it is. Obviously tons of fans throw the phrase around, but I am quite shocked that some of the players used it to refer to him as well.

20. January 25th, 2009 | 11:10 pm

sanair – only if we can also say that you have a “Single White Female”-like obsession with my opinion on General Manager Brian Cashman. ;-)

21. January 25th, 2009 | 11:15 pm

jmeisner – FWIW, four years ago, the Rangers players had some things to say about A-Rod.

January 26th, 2009 | 12:18 am

I am quite shocked that some of the players used it to refer to him as well.
      ——
      Why would you be?

23. jmeisner
      January 26th, 2009 | 2:10 am

Because they’re all professionals who are constantly told by their agents to watch what they say. Anyway, all I was saying is that I’m pretty sure that it has never been reported that his own teammates were calling him A-Fraud, so it is indeed new information.

January 26th, 2009 | 9:57 am

———–
      To the press maybe, but in the locker room?

Besides, there have been reports from “unnamed sources close to the team” about Rodriguez’s interactions with the team before.