• Pettitte Near Deal With Yanks?

Posted by on January 26th, 2009 · Comments (13)

Jon Heyman thinks so.

I’ve said in the past that having Andy Pettitte return to the Yankees, for just the 2009 season, is vital to New York’s chances to reach the post-season this year. So, if you want to know…yes, to me, this is very good news.

Comments on Pettitte Near Deal With Yanks?

1. January 26th, 2009 | 1:29 pm

Via the AP…

The New York Yankees and Andy Pettitte are close on a deal that will bring the veteran left-hander back for a year, Major League Baseball sources told Buster Olney on Monday.The deal, sources told Olney, could be done as soon as Monday afternoon. It would pay Pettitte nearly $6 million, with incentives that could make it worth as much as $12 million.

2. Corey
      January 26th, 2009 | 2:46 pm

good

3. Pat F
      January 26th, 2009 | 3:12 pm

great move.

4. January 26th, 2009 | 3:56 pm

what an awful job by Cashman.

offering Pettitte $10 million guaranteed, and then having to settle on only having to pay him $6 million guaranteed, and pay Pettitte what he wants only if he succeeds, thus helping the Yankees succeed?

fire him.

5. MJ
      January 26th, 2009 | 4:02 pm

Not only a good move to stabilize the #4 spot in the rotation but, better yet, the Yanks appear to have gotten him back at a lower price than originally intended. So not offering him arbitration AND holding firm on their hard-line stance may have saved the Yanks some scratch. Not like it really matters — and certainly not worth playing hardball in such a way with a guy you really need — but all’s well that ends well.

The weird thing to me is why Andy decided to shoot himself in the foot. He had a good offer on the table and seems to have settled for a lot less. He and his agents did a kind of rough job here…

6. January 26th, 2009 | 4:04 pm

TurnTwo – If Cashman’s main goal is to save the Yankees money, well, I have two words for you: Pavano & Igawa.

January 26th, 2009 | 4:51 pm

——————
      Given that Pavano took less money to play here, and that Igawa was cheaper than stateside options, I guess Cashman did save the Yanks $$…

8. January 26th, 2009 | 5:08 pm

Put the crack pipe down, my friend. ;-)

January 26th, 2009 | 5:13 pm

Put the crack pipe down, my friend. ;-)
      ————-
      Hey, I’m on record saying that the Pavano signing was a stupid one. Igawa was reasonable, given the circumstances.

All I’m saying is that if “saving money” is the criteria, Cashman saved the Yanks $$ by signing Pavano at a cut rate, and signing Igawa instead of Lily & Co (monies which would’ve gone towards the luxury tax). :)

10. Evan3457
      January 26th, 2009 | 5:33 pm

So…lemme see if I get this straight…

Cashman makes a reasonable (arguabble) move to sign Pavano, which blows up in his face. He makes a bad move in signing Igawa, which also blows up in his face.

But now, those moves are over and done with, and filed under “spilt milk”. So now Cashman reads the market correctly, and signs Pettitte for $4-$6 million less guaranteed money, he’s to get no credit for that…and I’m not talking Hosannahs! or the Nobel Prize for Economics here, I’m just talking about a short and simple acknowledgement that Cashman read the market for Pettitte correctly, and signed him for a price that made more sense for the organization, possibly saving about $4-6 million that could be used…I dunno…maybe to make a key bench or bullpen acquisiton in midseason…and the people who called for the Yanks to sign Pettitte on Pettitte’s terms might have got that one wrong.

Nope, no credit to Cashman…his poor decisions in 2004 and 2006 deny the existence of this good decision.

I…see.

11. January 26th, 2009 | 5:37 pm

Hey, I’m just saying, if you want to give him credit for the Pettitte contract, then you also have to kill him for the $86 million that he pissed away on Pavano and Igawa.

The bridge has to go both ways, to be fair.

January 26th, 2009 | 6:11 pm

The bridge has to go both ways, to be fair.
      —-
      You’re using two different criteria; performance and contract.

If Pettitte for whatever reason doesn’t make it through the 2009 season, it doesn’t change the fact that the contract he signed was a reasonable one.

13. January 27th, 2009 | 7:35 am

“Before we make the guy a saint for nickle and diming one of the great pitchers in the history of the franchise…I’ll remind you of how much money Cashman has pissed away on crud.”
      ———————-

Brian Cashman gets credit for something he does that could be perceived as good?

(waswatching thinking… he cant get away with this… oh no, what do we do? ah ha! got it…)

Pavano! Igawa! Pavano! Igawa! Pavano! Igawa! Pavano! Igawa! Pavano! Igawa! Pavano! Igawa! Pavano! Igawa! Pavano! Igawa! Pavano! Igawa! Pavano! Igawa! Pavano! Igawa! Pavano! Igawa!