• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 1/27/09

Posted by on January 27th, 2009 · Comments (8)

Feel free to use this post as a place for you to comment on anything Yankees-related (or within reach of tagging the bag of being Yankees-related on a decent slide) today. It could be a casual conversation offering, or, something you saw in the news, or something very detailed that you want to share that’s within the territory of Yankeeland.

Or, comment on something that someone else has posted here in the comments…

Have fun. Play nice. And, remember, keep it Yankees-focused.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 1/27/09

1. clintfsu813
      January 27th, 2009 | 8:32 am

I wanted to do a little comparison about Developed vs. Undeveloped players in the Yanks vs. Sox rivalry. A Sox fan called up MLB Home Plate yesterday and went on and on about the “hired mercenaries” we have in the Bronx. I was just thinking about it position by position and had to laugh a little. I started with Rotation: Beckett, Dice-K, Wakefield, Lester, Penny. (Their current Depth Chart) That’s 1 farm player to 4. Yanks: Sabathia, Burnett, Wang, Pettite, Joba. Thats 3 farm players. Position Players: Lowell, Lugo, Pedroia, Youklis, Bard. (Varitek not on 40 man) Thats 2 farm players. Yanks: Arod, Jeter, Cano, Texiera, Posada. That’s 3 farm players. I know there’s many ways to argue this, I’m just sick of the high horse the “Nation” is on as of late.

2. MJ
      January 27th, 2009 | 9:27 am

Just to play devil’s advocate, Beckett and Lowell were acquired by trading prospects to Florida. Everyone’s counting system may be different but I consider trading your own to get someone else’s as part of the “homegrown” column.

Having said that, there’s no question that Red Sox Nation has their blinders on when it comes to the concept of mercenary and free agency. The Red Sox champions of 2004 and 2007 were the two most expensive winners of all time, something that Larry Lucchino would never want anyone to mention.

3. YankCrank
      January 27th, 2009 | 9:32 am

Good point MJ. As for clintfsu813′s point, I always have that argument with my friends that are Sox fans. To make my case stronger, I never use MJ’s trading point. It makes sense, but it weakens our argument haha.

Also, as semi-educated Yankee fans, can we please not refer to them as Red Sox Nation. That term makes me sick, and Hank would appreciate us ignoring that term!

4. MJ
      January 27th, 2009 | 9:47 am

————–
      I agree. I tend to call them the “so-called Red Sox Nation” because anyone that comes up with a nickname for themselves is a boob.

5. clintfsu813
      January 27th, 2009 | 9:51 am

Sorry for the Nation tag, lol. I dont use it. The bonehead on the radio did.

January 27th, 2009 | 10:11 am

Kinda posted this late yesterday, but here’s a fangraphs entry on the Joba debate;

7. YankCrank
      January 27th, 2009 | 1:02 pm

Yeah I saw that on iYankees, looks cool Raf.

8. Mr
      January 28th, 2009 | 11:17 am

“The Red Sox champions of 2004 and 2007 were the two most expensive winners of all time”

Glad you mention it. Check out these payroll stats. (http://content.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2008)

1996 Yankees $52 mil
      1996 League avg $31 mil
      Spent 1.7 times leage avg.

1998 Yankees $63 mil
      1998 League avg $40 mil
      Spent 1.6 times leage avg.

1999 Yankees $88 mil
      1999 League avg $48 mil
      Spent 1.8 times leage avg.

2000 Yankees $92 mil
      2000 League avg $55 mil
      Spent 1.7 times leage avg.

2004 Red Sox $127 mil
      2004 League avg $69 mil
      Spent 1.8 times leage avg.

2007 Red Sox $143 mil
      2007 League avg $65 mil
      Spent 2.2 times leage avg.

The yankees champions of the late 90′s spent an average of 70% more than their opponents, while the bosox champions of 04 and 07 spent an average of 100% more than their opponents. Granted, the yankees of the past few years have embarassingly outspent the sox and have outspent their opponents by over 200% more than league average and have nothing to show, but the point is, The Yankees are not the only ones who have “bought” their titles. You’d think the red sox were an all-volunteer army the way people whine about the yankees payroll. I live in so- called rsn and hear about it all the time. How much did they offer Texiera again? Is dice-k still making minimum wage?