• Chase Wright DFA’ed

Posted by on January 28th, 2009 · Comments (10)

In case you missed it, the Yankees have designated Chase Wright for assignment. Now, you may recall, back in 2007, I was a fan of Wright. And, while this is just a hunch, if Wright is picked up by another team, with a decent roster, and given 30 starts at the big league level in 2009, it would not shock me to see him win between 10 and 15 games in the majors this season.

Lefties like John Tudor, Jamie Moyer, Larry Gura and Bob Ojeda were late bloomers. Wright could be one too.

Comments on Chase Wright DFA’ed

1. January 28th, 2009 | 6:59 am

Do the Red Sox need someone to throw BP?

2. gphunt
      January 28th, 2009 | 9:31 am

White Sox would be a good team for him to get picked up by. He could learn a little from Buerhle and they have a decent enough team to provide some offense for him.

3. thenewguy
      January 28th, 2009 | 9:52 am

So IPK and Hughes are already complete busts and not even worth giving the time of day to, while you suggest that Wright could possibly win 10 to 15 games?

4. asdf
      January 28th, 2009 | 9:53 am

insane

5. January 28th, 2009 | 10:19 am

~~So IPK and Hughes are already complete busts and not even worth giving the time of day to~~

Show me where I called them “complete busts”. That’s unfair. I never said they were complete – just useless last year and having not proven anything yet.

As far as Wright, he’s left-handed…and that’s why I say he could be a late bloomer…it happens a lot.

6. January 28th, 2009 | 10:25 am

asdf – do you live in Saratoga Springs?

January 28th, 2009 | 12:14 pm

I could see Wright having a decent career. Hope it happens, he wasn’t going to get another shot with the Yanks, not where he was on the depth chart. It’s a numbers game, and I hope some other organization picks him up and gives him a shot.

Given the number of people I’ve spoken to, it seems many don’t realize that the Yanks lost a lot of pitching this offseason.

8. yankees76
      January 28th, 2009 | 10:14 pm

Why?

I mean, why? Because he’s left-handed? Have you looked at his peripherals?

9. January 28th, 2009 | 10:44 pm

You tell me, what were they last year at AA and AAA?

10. February 4th, 2009 | 7:52 pm

[...] from a deceptive three quarter angle. He also has a changeup and is working on a breaking pitch. Was Watching is a fan of Wright, and once made a comparison between him and Eric Bedard. They did recently [...]