• Nooner: Really Joe?

Posted by on January 28th, 2009 · Comments (10)

Duke Casanova, over at The Nooner, raises an interesting point on Joe Torre’s new book.

Other than mentioning that airhead Bernie Williams left the Stadium one night and left his kid behind (and that Andy Pettitte had to drive the younger Williams home), has Torre dished any dirt on “his boys” from 1996 through 2001?

Actually, I doubt there’s much to say about guys like O’Neill, Pettitte, Brosius and Mo. But, Jeter? Tino? Knoblauch? Nelson? Soriano? Boggs? There had to be some stories to tell there, no?

Comments on Nooner: Really Joe?

January 28th, 2009 | 3:32 pm

——-
      Brosuis & Mo, maybe, but I would think that he’d have plenty to say about Pettitte and O’Neill

2. January 28th, 2009 | 3:53 pm

Actually, my sources tell me 46 and 21 were the two guys in that clubhouse, outside of 42, that you could trust with your daughter…even if she was Jessica Biel. So, based on that, I would say they were two guys who it would be hard to get dirt on…sans Andy and the PEDs…which is old news now.

January 28th, 2009 | 4:25 pm

———
      Wasn’t Pettitte dealing with some sort of mistress?

4. January 28th, 2009 | 4:30 pm

Rumored.

5. Nick-YF
      January 28th, 2009 | 7:25 pm

Wow, could you imagine if Torre brought up the mistresses these guys have? I don’t think he would be welcome in a major league clubhouse again.

FWIW, my sources tell me that Paulie and Brosius stood out among the others for their faithfulness.

January 28th, 2009 | 7:50 pm

FWIW, when I made my first entry I wasn’t only talking about infidelity, just hijinks in general

7. JeremyM
      January 28th, 2009 | 9:12 pm

I seem to remember some dirt coming out about Boggs from Torre after the 1997 campaign, when Boggs was upset about platooning with Hayes. I could be wrong there.

8. January 28th, 2009 | 10:59 pm

Yeah, that was in that terrible Paul Sorvino movie – Boggs bitching about his 3,000 hits sitting the bench or something. But, that’s minor.

January 29th, 2009 | 12:51 am

———–
      Yeah, I believe he grumbled that he’d have to get his 3,000 hit somewhere else.

I think that was also the year that Fielder and Hayes threatened to cancel their contracts, what with them being traded while in the midst of a multiyear contract.

And yes, that movie was terrible… Not Jaws the Revenge bad, but cheezy.

10. throwstrikes
      January 29th, 2009 | 2:11 am

Torre not taking a hit on his boys. Shocking!

In 12 years, Jeter who is smooth and polished in a passive aggressive sort of way did nothing worse than flip balls behind his back during practice? Posada, who seemed to have at least a pitcher a year who preferred to not have him catch them and has a hot temper and a short fuse had no problems with anyone? Color me skeptical.

Torre lets others do the hatchett to Mo. Much cleaner that way. He had Mussina roll in the mud and say what many thought but none said.