• Wild Thought: 35

Posted by on January 28th, 2009 · Comments (14)

Today’s wild thought…is a number.

So, will the Yankees sit on #35 for a while, mothballing it out of respect for Mussina, until another star, or potential star, comes to New York and asks for it? Or, can we expect to see someone like Jason Johnson getting it this Spring?

After all, they gave Donovan Osborne #46 in 2004, didn’t they?

Comments on Wild Thought: 35

1. MJ
      January 28th, 2009 | 1:38 pm

Moose’s number will be given out. As much as Moose was in NY for a long time and had some great years, I don’t think there’ll be the uproar over giving out his number to a new face.

2. YankCrank
      January 28th, 2009 | 2:11 pm

Just like they should give out 21 again. I love Pauly, but a line has to be drawn somewhere.

3. MJ
      January 28th, 2009 | 2:13 pm

———–
      I love Paulie too but I don’t want there to be another #21. I don’t care that he’s not a Hall of Famer. The “rule” should be flexible enough to count “heart and soul” guys and Paulie was the heart and soul of those dynasty teams. In my mind, he was no less the heartbeat of the club than Donnie was in the 80′s and Donnie’s not going to sniff the HoF either.

I definitely don’t want to see #6 retired, however. Frankly, I’d get a sick thrill out of seeing someone wear it this year.

4. YankCrank
      January 28th, 2009 | 2:30 pm

—–

I think the “rule” should be about 10 years of service time with the Yankees and the stats being worthy of retiring your number, not a Hall of Fame birth. Special exceptions would be the case of Thurman Munson, of course. Reggie had a great 5 years of Yankee time, but 44 should not be retired.

This is where I feel the line should be drawn. If you think about it, 2, 6, 13, 20, 21, 42, 51 all have been talked about being possibly “retired” now or in the future. Add those to our current number and its really getting out of control. You’re right, Pauly was a fun Yankee and an emotional leader. He very well could have been the heartbeat of the Yankee dynasty but it’s getting out of control.

5. MJ
      January 28th, 2009 | 2:41 pm

————-
      -2 will be retired because everyone on the planet (except for me) likes Jeter
      -13 will be retired when it’s all said and done because A-Rod will likely be sitting on top of the stat sheets looking down at Ruth, Bonds, etc.
      -42 will be retired because he’s simply the greatest to ever do his job.

The others I can make cases for and against. But, personally, I want #21 retired. I love Paulie that much.

6. January 28th, 2009 | 2:46 pm

If Posada has big years in 2009 and 2010, do you then have to start talking about retiring #20 too?

7. YankCrank
      January 28th, 2009 | 2:49 pm

—-
      Yes, you do.

—–

I think a case can be made that Bernie deserves it more than Pauly does.

8. clintfsu813
      January 28th, 2009 | 2:55 pm

Might as well put Rivera’s #42 up in Monument Park. No one else will ever wear it anyhow. Plus he definitely deserves it!

9. MJ
      January 28th, 2009 | 2:57 pm

I think a case can be made that Bernie deserves it more than Pauly does.
      ———-
      Depends on what the criteria is. For me, no one deserves it more than Paul O’Neill.

10. YankCrank
      January 28th, 2009 | 3:10 pm

—-

Personally, I think neither Bernie nor Pauly should be retired. Of the dynasty years i’d retire 2 and 42. However, I will never debate with you how lovable and how important Pauly was to the Yankees. I love the guy too.

11. January 28th, 2009 | 3:38 pm

You know, I think retiring numbers is silly in the first place. Numbers are utilitarian. If you retire too many, there won’t be any numbers left.

So why not do something nonutilitarian, like the monuments or just plaques or something?

Too late now, of course. But it strikes me as not the brightest of ideas.

12. Viper
      January 28th, 2009 | 4:02 pm

The guys going to Cooperstown should have their numbers retired (well, except Torre for awhile).

A-Rod, Jeter, and Mo are no-brainers.

Forget about the rest of them. They need to keep the other numbers open for current and future stars.

13. jeff1112
      January 28th, 2009 | 4:17 pm

Retiring Mariano’s #42 is a moot point. #42 has been retired throughout baseball to honor Jackie Robinson. Mo is able to wear it since it was issued to him before the league retired it. Once Mo retires no player in baseball will be wearing the number. As far as Yankees and Yankees stadium the number will probably be retired twice, once they do it for Mo.

14. butchie22
      January 29th, 2009 | 8:58 am

Too late now, of course. But it strikes me as not the brightest of ideas. quote

Agreed! I don’t care about numbers and the such but rather the players behind the number. I had though along the same lline about the numbers: if they are retired there wouldn’t be too much. BUt I’d like to know if Manny will retire Manny’s number, though?!!! Without him and Mariano, there would be no curse reversed, that’s for sure.