• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 1/29/09

Posted by on January 29th, 2009 · Comments (11)

Feel free to use this post as a place for you to comment on anything Yankees-related (or within reach of tagging the bag of being Yankees-related on a decent slide) today. It could be a casual conversation offering, or, something you saw in the news, or something very detailed that you want to share that’s within the territory of Yankeeland.

Or, comment on something that someone else has posted here in the comments…

Have fun. Play nice. And, remember, keep it Yankees-focused.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 1/29/09

1. MJ
      January 29th, 2009 | 9:57 am

In the grand scheme of things, this one isn’t a big deal at all, but it’s funny to see that Torre talks about non-Yanks too (from Tyler Kepner’s blog):

“Remember the story about Carlos Beltrán’s willingness to take a major discount to play for the Yankees instead of the Mets? Joe Torre tells why: ‘Beltrán wanted to come to us, so he could hide among the trees. Nobody wants to be that guy to lead.’”

2. YankCrank
      January 29th, 2009 | 10:35 am

I hate talking about this, but I have to bring up Barry Bonds. With the new evidence that he did indeed test positive for anabolic steroids, my first reaction was to think about what exactly the feds and baseball are trying to accomplish with the Bonds and Clemens investigations. Do they really intend on throwing them in jail? Or do they just want to publicly humiliate them and ruin their legacy? Possibly both?

Idk, I think they have already suffered enough. Although it hasn’t been “proven” in a court of law, we all know what these guys did. Their legacy is shot, it will take them years to get in the Hall of Fame, if ever, so why continue?

Maybe somebody thinks differently.

3. MJ
      January 29th, 2009 | 11:05 am

Did anyone listen to the last few minutes of The Michael Kay Show on ESPN Radio? Kay had David Cone on and they were talking about a bunch of topics from the Torre book. The last question was about the Mussina quote on Rivera where both Kay and Cone disagreed with Mussina’s view about Rivera. The interesting thing was how Kay could barely restrain himself from insulting Moose on the air. All he said was something along the lines of “it’s no secret what my thoughts are on Mussina.”

4. MJ
      January 29th, 2009 | 11:11 am

YankCrank, I agree 100%. The time the government is wasting on this topic — between the congressional hearings and the Justice Department investigations and subsequent trials — is ridiculous. At the end of the day, why does the government care if an end-user injected himself with steroids? If you want to clean up sports, make it harder to get the drugs themselves. Hence, go after the Kirk Radomskis and Brian McNamees of the world, not the guys who simply put the crap into their bloodstream.

Personally — and I know I’m in the minority here — I just don’t give a crap about who used steroids or not. I paid money to be entertained and I was most certainly entertained. I don’t feel cheated or lied to and I haven’t lost any sleep thinking about “the children” or any of that selective morality arguement.

The government is doing what it does best: grandstanding on an issue that is non-partisan in order to avoid having to think about the far greater issues that are on the agenda. Why be accountable to the voting public when you can just give them the old razzle-dazzle and humiliate some millionaires along the way.

5. January 29th, 2009 | 11:24 am

==============
      I think it’s pretty well established that Kay and Mussina despise one another. I can’t recall whether we ever learned where the animosity came from. But Kay has rarely passed up an opportunity to rip on Mussina, so it’s not really surprising that he would take his shots here.

6. bfriley76
      January 29th, 2009 | 1:26 pm

==============

+++

Anytime Mike Mussina is involved in any conversation, if Kay states his opinion, turn off your radio. Case in point: His unflinching argument that Randy Johnson was a better pitcher in 2006 than Mussina, because Randy won 17 games and Moose won 15. Forget every other stat that correctly suggested otherwise.

7. January 29th, 2009 | 1:42 pm

Anyone else grossed out by the stories of Stevie Donahue having to rub up Clemens’ balls before starts?

8. January 29th, 2009 | 1:47 pm

=================
      It goes back a long time, too. The second hit on a google search turns up a 2002 article about Kay leaving radio for the YES booth, and mentions that “Last season, Kay’s online column repeatedly ripped pitcher Mike Mussina.” Which seems insane, since Mussina was just flat-out awesome in 2001.

9. bfriley76
      January 29th, 2009 | 2:08 pm

=======

I had heard before that Clemens liked to do that before each start because he didn’t want to be comfortable while pitching. I had no idea he couldn’t apply it himself though. That’s pretty messed up.

10. YankCrank
      January 29th, 2009 | 2:23 pm

=======
      ——-

Honestly, if it helped him win games for the Yankees and wasn’t on a banned list of testicular-enhancing supplements…than i’m ok with it.

11. MJ
      January 29th, 2009 | 2:35 pm

————–
      One of the less fun things that go with being a trainer on a big league club. Yuck is all I can say.