• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 1/30/09

Posted by on January 30th, 2009 · Comments (27)

Feel free to use this post as a place for you to comment on anything Yankees-related (or within reach of tagging the bag of being Yankees-related on a decent slide) today. It could be a casual conversation offering, or, something you saw in the news, or something very detailed that you want to share that’s within the territory of Yankeeland.

Or, comment on something that someone else has posted here in the comments…

Have fun. Play nice. And, remember, keep it Yankees-focused.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 1/30/09

1. YankCrank
      January 30th, 2009 | 9:15 am

Very interesting take on what Nick Swisher could be for the Yankees this year by Fowl Balls blog, as a guest blogger on Abraham’s Lohud Yankees Blog. For all of you who actually think Swisher should be dealt or, for some reason that isn’t supported by statistics, be a platoon or bench player, go check it out.

2. Corey
      January 30th, 2009 | 9:16 am

anyone surprised with how good Nelson was on the hot stove? I didn’t expect him to be that good on camera myself

3. January 30th, 2009 | 9:17 am

Here’s a little trivia question for you guys to play with on a Friday…

There are at least 14 Cy Young Award winners who have spent some time in the Yankees organization, at one time or another. How many can you name?

4. January 30th, 2009 | 9:18 am

~~anyone surprised with how good Nelson was on the hot stove?~~

I’m still shocked at how well bike-riding has kept him in shape. He looks like he’s in better shape now than when he pitched.

January 30th, 2009 | 10:08 am

———–
      Yes he does, doesn’t he?

anyone surprised with how good Nelson was on the hot stove?
      ————
      IIRC, he has been a radio host since he retired from baseball.

January 30th, 2009 | 10:13 am

—————-
      Dwight Gooden, Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, Sparky Lyle, Ron Guidry, Whitey Ford, Doug Draebek, Gaylord Perry, Catfish Hunter, Jack McDowell, David Cone, CC Sabathia

I’d have to look up the rest.

7. Corey
      January 30th, 2009 | 10:20 am

IIRC, he has been a radio host since he retired from baseball.
      ======

didnt kno that but yea i agree he looks like hes in great shape, altho i think i agree with larkin he should go back to the mullet…lol did u see larkins face when nelson trashed talked the nl

8. MJ
      January 30th, 2009 | 10:48 am

———–
      Bob Turley.

And I only know that name because I’m reading a book by Mickey Mantle (“My Favorite Summer 1956″) so I’ve come to learn some of the names of guys my generation doesn’t know…like Bob Turley.

9. January 30th, 2009 | 12:49 pm

FWIW, on the Cy Q…there’s one that’s VERY tricky.

January 30th, 2009 | 12:55 pm

FWIW, on the Cy Q…there’s one that’s VERY tricky.
      —————
      Is there more than 14? The one I’m thinking of isn’t tricky at all; or isn’t any more trickier than Doug Draebek.

11. January 30th, 2009 | 1:06 pm

I’m pretty sure it’s just 14.

Which is interesting, because I think the tricky guy used to wear, at one time, 14, ‘tho I could be wrong…

12. Roy
      January 30th, 2009 | 2:02 pm

———–
      Bob Turley.

And I only know that name because I’m reading a book by Mickey Mantle (”My Favorite Summer 1956″) so I’ve come to learn some of the names of guys my generation doesn’t know…like Bob Turley.
      —–

LaMarr Hoyt was drafted by the Yankees in the fifth round of the 1973 amateur draft.

January 30th, 2009 | 2:10 pm

————
      That may be the case, a quick search on the net only has him with uni #31

14. January 30th, 2009 | 2:29 pm

———–
      Bob Turley.
      —–

LaMarr Hoyt

+++++++++

Just caught Roy’s post in the SPAM queue. I’ll be damned – there’s 15, not 14. My guy is still not named.

January 30th, 2009 | 2:42 pm

LaMarr Hoyt was the guy I was referring to; I don’t know how I missed him in my original list. Then again, it seems to me that 1983 is a forgotten year, for whatever reason.

January 30th, 2009 | 2:44 pm

—————-
      Having looked it up, I’d be very surprised if anyone got that one…

January 30th, 2009 | 2:52 pm

If he had uni #14, then he’s not the guy I looked up either…

January 30th, 2009 | 2:55 pm

Also the guy I’m thinking of isn’t tricky; obscure would probably be a better word.

19. January 30th, 2009 | 2:56 pm

Hint: He never threw a pitch for the Yanks. But, I’m pretty sure he did suit up. And, for sure, he was in the organization – albeit briefly.

January 30th, 2009 | 2:59 pm

————–
      Then that makes 16 pitchers; 1967 CYA Winner Mike McCormick pitched for the Yanks in 1970.

January 30th, 2009 | 3:02 pm

————
      Wait a minute; “attitude coach” right?

January 30th, 2009 | 3:04 pm

Wait a minute; “attitude coach” right?
      ———-
      whoops, that was with the “other” NY team.

January 30th, 2009 | 3:05 pm

Yeah, ok, I got it now :D

January 30th, 2009 | 3:08 pm

whups, no I don’t :-p

25. January 30th, 2009 | 4:22 pm

~~1967 CYA Winner Mike McCormick pitched for the Yanks in 1970.~~

I did not know that!

FWIW, the other guy, my “trick” guy, is Vida Blue.

January 30th, 2009 | 4:42 pm

FWIW, the other guy, my “trick” guy, is Vida Blue.
      ————
      Ah, yes, when he was purchased from the A’s.

January 31st, 2009 | 9:18 am

Looking back, I guess #14 was a dead giveaway. Sweet Lou had it at the time, tho’