• Could A-Rod Have Been Using PEDs As A Mariner?

Posted by on February 8th, 2009 · Comments (19)

Well, it seems like some guys in Seattle, back then, were using. From a Mike Fish ESPN.com report back in December 2007:

Most big leaguers and recent baseball retirees have been scrambling to distance themselves from the Mitchell report. Some have called on their agents or used a neatly crafted statement to explain away their performance-enhancing drug use. But here comes Shane Monahan out of nowhere to confess, unsolicited, his past misdeeds.

Monahan, now 33 and living with his family in Vail, Colo., openly admits to being a juiced player in baseball’s steroids era.

He says he used anabolic steroids when he played for the Mariners. He says Deca-Durabolin and Winstrol were his primary enhancers. He says he got them from “guys” who regularly hung around the clubhouse. And he says he regularly used amphetamines, better known around baseball as energy-boosting “greenies.”

Monahan says he began taking steroids late in the 1998 season.

“I saw what kind of money it is going to get you,” he says. “I had great minor league seasons, but I wanted to stay in the big leagues. I know my teammates and I know guys on other teams are doing it, and they’re hitting home runs left and right. And I’m sitting there going, ‘All right, well, what I’m going to do?’

“I read up on it. I learned how to use it. I started lifting weights and I went from like 190 pounds to 215. I mean, muscles on my body where I didn’t know you had muscles. I already ran fast. I could hit. I had a good arm. But all of a sudden now, recovery time felt better. Everything was a lot better.”

The one-time fringe major leaguer turned to the dark side, he says, partly because he believed that steroids were rampant throughout the Mariners’ clubhouse and the game. If that’s what it took to level the playing field, he was willing to try them.

During his brief time in Seattle, Monahan came to believe steroid use was widespread in the Mariners’ clubhouse, although he refuses to identify those he suspects were using. The Mitchell report identified a handful of players whose tenures overlapped with his in Seattle, including Ryan Franklin, Glenallen Hill, David Segui and Todd Williams.

Monahan says that back then, Major League Baseball had yet to tighten access to clubhouses, and that many players regularly worked out with their personal trainers while using team facilities.

“There were two or three guys,” he says of the suppliers, though he says he is unable to recall their names. “You’d go up to them and say, ‘Hey, I need some greenies. What is it going to take?’ Well, it might be 100 bucks here. It is a jersey here, or a dozen baseballs and two bats. And you’d give it to him.”

If what Monahan said here is true, now that the A-Rod usage (in 2003) story has come to light, you have to wonder if someone from that Mariners’ scene in the late 1990’s will now come out of the woods and say that they have more about Alex and PEDs, dating back to when he was in Seattle.

Comments on Could A-Rod Have Been Using PEDs As A Mariner?

1. yankeesrumors
      February 8th, 2009 | 8:53 am

With steroids floating so freely in the Mariner clubhouse, do you think this opens any questions on the teams leader, Ken Griffey Jr.? I sure hope not.

2. Evan3457
      February 8th, 2009 | 10:27 am

Or Edgar Martinez?
      Or Jay Buhner?

Or Saint Tino?

See? Everybody can play this game now.

3. February 8th, 2009 | 10:33 am

None of those guys are signed to play with the Yankees for the next 9 years, so, personally, I really don’t care that much about them.

4. Tresh Fan
      February 8th, 2009 | 10:43 am

Roger Clemens, Jason Giambi, Gary Sheffeild, Andy Pettitte, Pudge Rodriguez, and now A-Rod.

Are the Yankees actively pursuing PED users?

5. Evan3457
      February 8th, 2009 | 10:46 am

Yep, they are. I’ll bet all the other 103 guys on the “tested positive” list are all Yankees or ex-Yankees. No, really.

How about this? A lot of guys used it. Some went from stars to megastars, and the Yanks signed a lot of megastars the last 8 years.

6. Evan3457
      February 8th, 2009 | 10:50 am

===================================
      And none of them has been tested and passed the last 5 years, either, so this is all about the terrible PR blowback, right?

I mean, everyone realizes Alex isn’t going anywhere in the next several years, because they have no legal justification to terminate his contract, they’re not going to release him, and eat about $250 million (they wouldn’t even release Giambi in the LAST year of his contract, for spit’s sake).

Trade him? He’s positively radioactive right now. 10 cents on the dollar? You’d be lucky to get 1 cent on the dollar at this moment.

7. Evan3457
      February 8th, 2009 | 10:51 am

Unless he retires out of sheer mortification, or his inability to handle the abuse coming this way.

That’s a very slight possibility, given what we know of A-Rod’s personality.

8. thenewguy
      February 8th, 2009 | 10:56 am

I don’t quite know what to make of all of this. Looking at A-Rod through the years, he clearly got a lot bulkier (although I’m sure this happens to most baseball players even if they don’t do roids.) However, unlike Bonds, A-Rod’s homerun totals are relatively consistent throughout al of his years. I mean, he hit 36 in his first full season. Of course, he could have been doing steroids from day 1. But if he only started using them in ’03 (or ’02 or ’01), I have a hard time seeing the tangible results (a la Bonds, at least.) Yes, I’m sure his numbers are better than they would have been without roids, but he didn’t go from hitting 25 hrs to hitting 70 hrs in one season.

9. Tresh Fan
      February 8th, 2009 | 10:57 am

I have to wonder if Mark Teixera is on that 2003 list as well. The Rangers clubhouse looks like a ground zero.

10. thenewguy
      February 8th, 2009 | 10:58 am

but he didn’t go from hitting 25 hrs to hitting 70 hrs in one season
      ————–

upon looking at Baseball Reference, I realize Bonds was more of a 35-40 hr hitter, but still.

11. Evan3457
      February 8th, 2009 | 11:12 am

Re: A-Rod being bulkier. Everyone should try to remember that he came up to the majors as a 19-year old and his first big season was at age 20.

Even without steroids, guys get bigger and bulkier between that age and their 30’s. Hank Aaron is supposed to have, and so is Ted Williams.

A-Rod is on the “list” so it’s extremely likely he used steroids, but I never thought so from looking at him, and nobody in the media in the clubhouse has ever, as far as I know, said he displayed any of the other exterior physical markings (the way-overdeveloped musculature, the ballooned head, the back acne, etc.). Pictures of his without his shirt on from the last year or two show none of those markers, either.

12. February 8th, 2009 | 12:03 pm

[…] Was Watching passed along an interesting article written by Mike Post from ESPN back in December of 2007. The entire article was about how steroids floated freely through in the Mariner Clubhouse back in the late 90’s. Here are a couple of interesting lines I pulled from it. Sources for steroids and amphetamines, he says, floated freely through the Seattle clubhouse. They were friends of team members who, at the time, had access to the players’ sanctuary. He remembers paying cash, and even bartered baseball gear, for steroids and amphetamines. […]

February 8th, 2009 | 12:16 pm

but he didn’t go from hitting 25 hrs to hitting 70 hrs in one season
      ————–

—————
      Regardless that is a poor way of telling anything. You could make the case that Bonds should be hitting 70 HR’s every season. Looking at the numbers, the 70 was clearly an outlier.

14. thenewguy
      February 8th, 2009 | 12:26 pm

————-

I agree, but I was just trying to get at the fact that steroids don’t seem to have dramatically improved A-Rod’s numbers like, say, Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, Palmeiro, Clemens… to name a few.

15. February 8th, 2009 | 1:05 pm

[…] Could A-Rod Have Been Using PEDs As A Mariner? / Kay Told To Go Get A Room […]

16. February 8th, 2009 | 1:27 pm

[…] the Mariners’ clubhouse back in the late 90’s that he succumbed to the temptation. (Hat Tip to Was Watching) Maybe the same thing happened to A-Rod. Imagine you were with your team and you know all the guys […]

February 8th, 2009 | 6:05 pm

————-
      Didn’t dramatically improve the numbers of many of the guys you mentioned either.

18. February 8th, 2009 | 7:17 pm

[…] jump up in 1999, from his 1996 through 1998 levels, which is maintained through 2003. And, then a dip in 2004, an […]

19. February 9th, 2009 | 11:45 pm

[…] the team that he played for just before that, the Seattle Mariners, were also, reportedly, a merry band of PED-users. But, for some reason, when he was younger, playing in a park not friendly to hitters, working […]