• A-Rod: What, Me Worry?

Posted by on February 9th, 2009 · Comments (15)

Via the Daily News -

What’s the highest-paid baseball player in history to do when his legacy is on the rocks?

Party in a tropical paradise, of course.

Just hours after the steroid-tainted slugger earned his nickname A-Fraud, Alex Rodriguez was drowning his sorrows with Grey Goose and Red Bull in the VIP area at Aura Nightclub in the Bahamas.

There, the staff takes pride in “treating every guest as a VIP and every VIP as a king.”

A-Rod certainly wasn’t getting the royal treatment back home – or in the Yankees’ front office.

One Yankees official said the team has no intention of coming to the party boy’s defense, and general manager Brian Cashman has not returned reporters’ calls, which is no surprise, the official noted.

“The ball is really in Alex’s court,” the official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

Hal and Hank Steinbrenner spent the weekend at the family’s Ocala Horse Farm in Florida and were talking to team President Randy Levine about the debacle, a source said.

Team brass are expected to take the position that A-Rod’s positive steroid test doesn’t affect the team because it took place before he joined the Yanks.

That devastating news seemed hardly on A-Rod’s mind Saturday night as he kicked back in the 70-degree island air with his sexy entourage in tow and a personal butler waiting in his $15,450 suite above.

Rodriguez avoided any ‘roid rage by staying at the luxurious Atlantis Resort, one of his favorite escapes. He crashed in a two-bedroom suite in the exclusive and lush Cove section of the hotel, complete with private gardens, waterfalls and the butler.

Hotel staff said A-Rod partied so hard Saturday night that he slept late into the day Sunday before eating and leaving.

The butler in A-Rod’s suite told reporters that he had gone to a Grammy party for the evening and was not expected back at the hotel Sunday night.

Nero played the fiddle while Rome burned. I guess A-Rod has to settle for downing Grey Goose and Red Bull cocktails while partying it up in VIP suites in the Bahamas…

Comments on A-Rod: What, Me Worry?

1. antone
      February 9th, 2009 | 8:57 am

I never thought I’d say this, but it’s hard for me to root for the Yankees because of A-Rod aka A-Fraud aka A-Roid aka A-Hole. He’s been nothing but drama since he came to the Yankees, whether it’s his fault or not. I can’t stand the fact that he’s on the Yankees and now if they do win I won’t even be able to enjoy it because everyone will be talking about how A-Rod is on ‘roids. I can’t wait for the next 9 seasons to be over, although I’m hoping he’s gone way before then.

2. YankCrank
      February 9th, 2009 | 9:34 am

Antone, you’re the jumping the gun a little too fast. It’s day 3 of the A-Rod steroids saga and we have no clue how it will pay off. I know we have no reason to believe something good can come of this, especially with how A-Rod poorly plays his scandals, but never underestimate the power of PR. If A-Rod admits his fault, tells the full truth, apologizes and takes total blame, i imagine some day down the road you’ll start rooting for him and the Yankees again.

He made a monumental mistake, and he and his legacy will pay for it. If he comes off as an apologetic man who knows he made a huge mistake, over time people will start to feel sorry and be on his side again. Hall of fame, maybe not. Records being genuine, of course not. But don’t write him off yet.

3. thenewguy
      February 9th, 2009 | 9:43 am

——————–

Were you saying the same thing about Giambi? Are you saying the same thing about Pettitte? You have no idea how this will play out, but it seems a little hypocritical to get upset at A-Rod for things “whether it’s his fault or not.” Obviously the steroids thing is his fault, but how can you get more mad at him than Giambi or Pettitte, and how can you be mad at things that are out of his control?

What I got out of this article is that the media is always too ridiculously close to A-Rod. Did we have such detail about Bonds or McWire or Sosa when their use became public? Did we know the price of their suite in the Bahamas, did we know what the garden looked like? Did we know about a butler they used? This microscope is ridiculous, even considering what just happened.

The media has always loved to feast, literally FEAST, on anything A-Rod does. I just hope that A-Rod comes completely clean and shows some remorse. If he denies it and is combatative, the media is going to have even more of a field day than it is already having.

February 9th, 2009 | 9:53 am

———–
      As well he should. He owes nobody anything. If people have their panties in a bunch, I suggest they not tune into the YES Network, get rid of their Yankee gear, and or not attend any games.

5. Tresh Fan
      February 9th, 2009 | 10:25 am

In the ancient Church penitents would don sackcloth, sprinkle themselves with ashes and kneel on the church steps, begging their erstwhile “brothers and sisters” for forgiveness as they came and went every Sunday for a full year.

I would tend to prefer the Grey Goose approach.

6. antone
      February 9th, 2009 | 10:37 am

That’s the point guys..it doesn’t matter what we think because the media is going to crush him and bring this up over and over again..if you think Giambi and Pettitte is even going to come close to the drama the A-Rod story is going to drum up then you are delusional…I’m not happy about Giambi or Pettitte either…but A-Rod has been an issue since he got here..if it’s not one thing it’s another and I’m not just talking about ‘roids, which is why I say his fault or not…he’s not worth the drama….all I’m saying is it’s not as fun to root for the Yankees as it used to be…I’m a Yankee fan, so I have NO choice, but I don’t find as much pleasure rooting for this team as I did to past teams.

7. YankCrank
      February 9th, 2009 | 10:39 am

——

of course it’s not as much fun, other Yankee teams actually won championships.

February 9th, 2009 | 10:45 am

I would tend to prefer the Grey Goose approach.
      ——
      lol!

9. antone
      February 9th, 2009 | 10:46 am

———————————–
      I’m not optimistic that A-Rod will handle this well. I will always root for the Yanks, but I’ve never been a big fan of A-Rod. I want him to do good, he deserves whatever he gets now, just like all the other ‘roiders, Giambi and Pettitte included.

10. antone
      February 9th, 2009 | 10:47 am

of course it’s not as much fun, other Yankee teams actually won championships.
      ——————————-
      If this team won, it still wouldn’t be fun.

February 9th, 2009 | 10:48 am

———–
      And Matt Lawton, don’t forget Matt Lawton!

12. YankCrank
      February 9th, 2009 | 10:57 am

—–

Me neither. I know how I would handle it if I gave A-Rod his PR plan, but I think, like usual, he’ll blow it. I already think he has started to blow it by remaining silent and partying in the Bahamas while people in the country are either weeping for the sanctity of the game or lashing out in anger over another drug user. His partying is just a sign that he could care less.

13. antone
      February 9th, 2009 | 11:53 am

—————–
      To be honest, the ‘roid thing doesn’t bother me too much, because I’ve suspected him since he was linked to Canseco a long time ago. The thing is now that it’s public, it’s going to be a big deal and completely be the focus of THIS season and will eventually kick back up once A-Rod starts chasing the HR record.

There’s also so many different levels to this…everytime A-Rod struggles it will be because he is giving in to the pressure of the ‘roids story…everytime he does well people will suspect him of juicing again. Knowing how his makeup is, unless he embraces the bad guy role ala Bonds, I think A-Rod’s performance is going to suffer.

Unfortunately he is also someone who is image conscious, so he’s stuck in between really. Whatever he does, he’s going to lose big time. Either his performance will suffer or his image will, if not both. The whole thing is just a mess.

I also find it funny that for someone who is so concerned about his image that he would do things that are of low “ethics”, like cheat on his wife and take ‘roids. If he was really so concerned then he would probably stay away from things like that. Seems more to me like “concern for his image” is more like “hide from the public the fact that I’m a jerk”. Maybe A-Fraud is a nickname he got for a reason.

14. ken
      February 9th, 2009 | 1:04 pm

Strange as it sounds, his ability to party while his world crashes around him is a good thing. It makes it conceivable that he can ignore the off-field distractions when he is between the white lines. For those of us who are dreading nine long years with this guy, it is a ray hope.

15. December 6th, 2009 | 8:12 am

[...] just 300 days ago, Alex Rodriguez was hiding and partying in the Bahamas. And, now, he’s celebrating and partying in the Dominican Republic. Via the Daily News – Just [...]