• Rooting For Unit To Fall Short

Posted by on February 14th, 2009 · Comments (14)

Randy Johnson needs 5 more wins for 300 in his career. And, he needs 211 more strikeouts for 5,000 lifetime K’s.

This may be sour grapes, but, as a Yankees fan, I hope that he doesn’t reach either mark. Part of it is being a sore loser over what Johnson did to the Yankees in the post-seasons of 1995 and 2001. And, part of it is still being ticked over the way Johnson came to New York in 2005, making a money grab, and then pitching poorly in 2006, and then running back “home” in 2007.

Am I the only Yankees fan out there who feels this way about the Big Unit and his milestone chase? How do you feel about it?

Comments on Rooting For Unit To Fall Short

1. Corey
      February 14th, 2009 | 6:49 pm

don’t matter once we find out he did PEDs

2. MJ
      February 14th, 2009 | 7:05 pm

——
      Randy pitched brilliantly in September 2005 to get the team into the playoffs. He earns major points for that in my book.

3. February 14th, 2009 | 8:50 pm

~~Why would I hold it against RJ for coming to NY for the money? Is that so bad? I’m not planning on holding it against Sabathia, Burnett, Teixeira, or anyone else for that matter.~~

If CC takes the Yankees money, pitches like crap for half the time, and then bolts after 3 years via his opt-out, you wouldn’t hold that against him?

If Burnett’s Yankees career ends up like Carl Pavano’s, you wouldn’t hold that against him?

4. lenjack
      February 14th, 2009 | 9:01 pm

Fully agree. By the way, did you see Posnanki’s post about A-Rod? He’s right.

5. thenewguy
      February 14th, 2009 | 9:23 pm

I feel you on this one, Steve. Especially because he was so ornery the entire time. He had a few good moments, but we weren’t exactly getting Randy circa 2001 (like the Sawx got with Schill.) We were a day late, and a dollar expensive, on Randy.

On the other hand, Steve, I think you may also want to look at the larger context of this all. How many more pitchers will get to 300 wins? I think it would be cool to see one more get there. I don’t really care about his Ks.

So I’m torn between my vengeful self and my ‘history conscious’ self. I’ll see how it feels when it happens.

6. Bulldog
      February 14th, 2009 | 10:09 pm

I can’t hold it against someone that they turned 42, and could no longer hack it the the AL East.

He pitched his ass off for us, going so far as to get an EPIDURAL for his bad back in late 2006 because his team needed him. 98% of players would have just went on the DL, but he didn’t. He still didn’t get the job done, but I appreciate how hard he tried.

7. February 15th, 2009 | 7:31 am

For the record, he also had an imbecile for a pitching coach and a jackass catcher who refused to let him call his own game.

8. February 15th, 2009 | 10:06 am

[…] rant yesterday about Randy Johnson has brought cause for me to think deeper about my disdain for certain former […]

February 15th, 2009 | 11:05 am

————–
      Pitching coach is irrelevant. By the time Johnson came to the Yanks he was an established starter, a veteran of 15+ years.

As for the catcher, any problems, crossing him up with a 97 mph fastball will take care of it. Hell, if it means that much, duke it out in the clubhouse; Johnson had seniority over Posada, so there’s no reason why he wouldn’t/shouldn’t listen.

February 15th, 2009 | 11:10 am

and then running back “home” in 2007.
      ——
      Because his brother died…
      “His brother, Gregg, 51, the fourth of six kids in the family, died Dec. 12 after a brain aneurysm. It brought back memories from 14 years ago when his father, Bud, died of an aortic aneurysm on Christmas Day.

“To have your brother pass away in front of you,” Johnson says, slowly choosing his words, “that’s not easy. He had a stroke, and I came to see him (in the Bay Area). I was with him for three days. He was responding to doctors the first day and squeezing my hand and everything. Then, 48 hours later, the swelling on the brain took over. He stopped responding. He passed away in front of all of us.”

Johnson’s voice trails off. It’s a private matter with the family. There’s no reason to share his pain with the outside world.”

11. butchie22
      February 15th, 2009 | 8:22 pm

Because his brother died…

Johnson’s voice trails off. It’s a private matter with the family. There’s no reason to share his pain with the outside world Quote from Raf

That is irrelevant. If Johnson was happy he would have stayed here. By requesting a trade , he wasn’t going to lose his next season’s salary. I don’t buy this as the excuse for him leaving. He probably didn’t like the spotlight and the attention. Ultimately, he’s not a New York type of guy.

Quote from Steve

Steve he actually won 17 games both seasons that he was here, so he helped the team in some sense.He wasn’t the flop Pavano, Igawa, Brown and Vasquez was either. What sticks in our craw in that he was not very good in the post season. That is why he was brought here and ultimately, he failed in that respect. I do agree with your basic premise regarding CC and the pitcher whose name should be called Always inJured! People will go nuts if they don’t get it done in May let alone October.

February 15th, 2009 | 9:04 pm

—————-
      eh?

By staying he wasn’t going to lose his salary either.

He requested a trade to be closer to his family. He signed with the Giants to be closer to his family.

13. butchie22
      February 15th, 2009 | 10:34 pm

By staying he wasn’t going to lose his salary either.

And that doesn’t even touch on the fact that he blew out his back, again, in 2007. Quote

Once again that seems like a BS excuse. trust me if Johnson had won rings and loved his time in NYC , the family excuse would have never been brought up. He never really took to the Yankees like his old teammate Schill took to the REd Sox. Then again, Schill became a folk hero and Randy’s Yankee tenure will be a trivia question about his least enjoyable years in baseball(and some of ours too after he flopped in the playoffs).

February 15th, 2009 | 10:57 pm

———-
      If his brother hadn’t died, he would’ve stayed with NY.

You do know the reason he signed with the D-Backs in the first place was to be closer to his family, right? He chose the D-Backs over the Rangers, Angels and Dodgers.