• Condensed Video Of A-Rod’s Press Conference Q&A

Posted by on February 17th, 2009 · Comments (14)

Here’s the video via SNY.tv:

Alex blames his mistake on being young and not having gone to college? Hey, did Derek Jeter go to college? How much older is Derek compared to Alex?

Comments on Condensed Video Of A-Rod’s Press Conference Q&A

1. February 17th, 2009 | 4:10 pm

It’s funny, Alex talks about how his best statistical years came in Seattle and in 2007. Well, in terms of PA, he did his best in Texas, sans when he was 22 in Seattle:

Year * Ag * Tm * PA
      2000 * 24 * SEA * 672
      1997 * 21 * SEA * 638
      2008 * 32 * NYY * 594
      1999 * 23 * SEA * 572
      1995 * 19 * SEA * 149
      1994 * 18 * SEA * 59

So, you can make a case that the PEDs allowed him to come to the plate more often than in Seattle in New York. That’s a help, no?

2. MJ
      February 17th, 2009 | 4:10 pm

What does Derek Jeter have to do with it?

3. February 17th, 2009 | 4:26 pm

~~What does Derek Jeter have to do with it?~~

He was just the first “star” who came into my head – who played in 2001, 2002, and 2003 – at the same age, thereabouts, as A-Rod – and who also did not go to college.

You pick any other star player who played in 2001-2003, at the same age as A-Rod did, and who did not go to college, and sub them for Jeter if that makes you feel better.

Plenty of old guys, who went to college, used PEDs in 2001-2003 – I would bet. Age and education have nothing to do with it. It’s all about a person making a call to do it or not.

FWIW, Jeter – if you’ll excuse me bringing him up again – was surrounded by PED users on the Yankees in the early 2000′s too – and he didn’t let the “culture” get to him…like Alex likes to use as an excuse.

Lack of age and education, environment…A-Rod blames them all.

Geez, I thought the movie Trading Places proved that education and environment were moot? ;-)

4. Corey
      February 17th, 2009 | 4:36 pm

======
      that applies to any drug as well, not just PEDs

=====
      and he didn’t let the “culture” get to him…like Alex likes to use as an excuse.
      =====
      hopefully not a “famous last words” type saying :P

5. MJ
      February 17th, 2009 | 4:38 pm

FWIW, Jeter…was surrounded by PED users on the Yankees in the early 2000’s too – and he didn’t let the “culture” get to him…like Alex likes to use as an excuse.
      ———
      As far as you know, anyway. And I don’t mean to pick on Jeter but I’m going to, since you used him as your reference point.

Louis Winthorp and Billy Ray Valentine are indeed proof positive of nature vs. nurture :)

6. Evan3457
      February 17th, 2009 | 4:43 pm

A-Rod should never have said anything about this. Ever.
      A-Rod should never have said anything about this. Ever.
      A-Rod should never have said anything about this. Ever.
      A-Rod should never have said anything about this. Ever.

7. MJ
      February 17th, 2009 | 4:45 pm

A-Rod should never have said anything about this. Ever.
      ——–
      Considering Selena “I don’t have an unhealthy A-Rod fetish, I swear” Roberts has a potentially damaging book coming out next month, I don’t think he could’ve avoided it.

February 17th, 2009 | 5:32 pm

A-Rod should never have said anything about this. Ever.
      —————
      “Yeah, I did it. And it got me a $275M contract, on top of the $252M contract I signed before. Do you know what $252M looks like? Y’all familiar with Scrooge McDuck, right? I got a vault full of money I swim in. I could BUY every single one of you. I don’t give a f**k what any of y’all think, I’M RICH BEE-YATCH!”

“All y’all can kiss my Dominican @ss… I’m out… Peace”

:D

9. tomkitrick
      February 17th, 2009 | 6:09 pm

I think at some level these endless discussions of PEDs has to stop. Talk to anybody who used to do any drugs and they are never going to have a rational explanation why. It was stupid and he shouldn’t have done it. What else do people want him to say? If it was so terrible to do, why didn’t the commissioner take a stronger stand? I applaud guys like Jeter who did the right thing, but guys who did not should not be treated like they are on death row. Fine him, suspend him, whatever, just deal with it without all the sanctimonious drama.

10. Evan3457
      February 17th, 2009 | 6:18 pm

I’d add one more thing to that. “I don’t have to answer any more questions about this. I really don’t.”

Yeah, Raf, I wish we lived in such a world. But we don’t.

Scrooge McDuck. Hee-hee.

11. butchie22
      February 17th, 2009 | 7:00 pm

Geez, I thought the movie Trading Places proved that education and environment were moot? Quote from Steve

This is proof that you need to bring back the movie feature back to school certain folks! You can do it Steve, you can do it……

“All y’all can kiss my Dominican @ss… I’m out… Peace Quote from Raf

Imagine if that was Big Flappi we were talking about. “Let’s rip that fat Big Flappi, let’s go cream at him:give back 2004 and Big Needle Papi!” IT seems that because it’s a yankee guy everyone wants to forget so quickly. Now if the shoe was on the other foot……. BTW, I’m not a “Unca Scrooge(if you read the comics as a kid you’ll understand the Unca)type of guy” but rather a Huey, Dewey and Louie sort of guy!

12. thenewguy
      February 17th, 2009 | 7:18 pm

Steve, he may have said he was young, immature, and didn’t go to college, but he DID take responsibility. What else should he have said? He was simply saying he was young and immature to emphasize that he is a changed person and no longer doing this things.

He wanted to create a dichotomy between the two “Alex’s” in order to let everyone know that this is the reformed Alex, the one who doesn’t do steroids.

13. February 17th, 2009 | 8:59 pm

>> IMHO, it’s a weak excuse to blame the call to use PEDs on being young and not having gone to college. >>

Maybe, but I’d like to bring up another piece of the puzzle that is A-Rod:

Mark Teixeira brought up an interesting point the other day when he was asked about possibly using PED’s in his career – he said he would ‘never’, and mostly because his father would ‘kill him’ if he was ever caught doing it.

From what I’ve been reading, Mark’s parents were heavily involved in his upbringing & baseball career — most of us can guess by the YES camera shots that Jeter’s parents were too. Alex’s father skipped town when he was 8 years old, fwiw.

A lot of idiots attend *and* graduate college, so I don’t know if that excuse holds any water with me. But being the child of divorce, I might have had more sympathy had he admitted to a lack of guidance when he was a younger man — one with all the talent in the world but only half the maturity.

February 18th, 2009 | 10:08 am

————
      I agree. Mind you, this is a PR gig, where the primary focus is to look contrite. It’s more damage control than anything else.