• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 2/19/09

Posted by on February 19th, 2009 · Comments (39)

Feel free to use this post as a place for you to comment on anything Yankees-related (or within reach of tagging the bag of being Yankees-related on a decent slide) today. It could be a casual conversation offering, or, something you saw in the news, or something very detailed that you want to share that’s within the territory of Yankeeland.

Or, comment on something that someone else has posted here in the comments…

Have fun. Play nice. And, remember, keep it Yankees-focused.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 2/19/09

1. clintfsu813
      February 19th, 2009 | 8:06 am

Heard interview with Don Hooten yesterday talking about Arod really reaching out to help with Hootens cause. Don sounded very grateful for Arods help. How many stories you think they’ll post about this?

2. antone
      February 19th, 2009 | 9:51 am

Speaking of interviews, did anyone catch ESPN’s interview with C.C.? I have to say I’m pretty impressed with C.C. already and can’t wait to see him go out there on the mound.

3. MJ
      February 19th, 2009 | 9:52 am

———
      Nope, when did they show it? Is there a website where I can watch it?

As far as a personality type goes, I definitely like CC from the audio I heard on PeteAbe’s site last week. Seems like a cheerful, pleasant guy.

4. Corey
      February 19th, 2009 | 10:20 am

did CC say anything important?

5. antone
      February 19th, 2009 | 10:21 am

MJ: this link should work but if not let me know: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3916908

6. antone
      February 19th, 2009 | 10:31 am

MJ I posted the link but it’s waiting moderation. If you go to ESPN and search Sabathia it should be the first thing that comes up.

7. MJ
      February 19th, 2009 | 11:05 am

Cool, thanks for the heads up Antone.

8. antone
      February 19th, 2009 | 11:14 am

No problem. We need to get some convo started up on here today. Work is slow for me today haha

9. YankCrank
      February 19th, 2009 | 11:17 am

Let’s assume, for some unknown reason, the Yankees start thinking like a minor league team and you win a promotion that let’s you create the opening day starters, batting order and starting pitcher, how would you do it? (I understand it’s february and we don’t know what will happen in spring training with injuries and who will win each position, but assume this anyway). How would you put it together?

10. MJ
      February 19th, 2009 | 11:18 am

———-
      I’m curious how many WW regulars were around and remember the 1960 World Series. I’m reading a biography of Roberto Clemente (really good so far) and one of the chapters was about the 1960 season, including the Pirates’ upset of the M&M boys.

Does anyone around here have any memories of the ’60 Fall Classic? Does anyone know why Casey Stengel didn’t start Whitey Ford in Game 1 or pinch hit for Clete Boyer in the 1st inning of that game? Seems to me that if Casey had done that in the 90′s or today instead of the 60′s, he’d have been run out of town…

11. MJ
      February 19th, 2009 | 11:24 am

opening day starters, batting order and starting pitcher, how would you do it? How would you put it together?
      —————-
      Good topic.

Lineup: Damon (7), Jeter (6), Teixeira (3), Rodriguez (5), Matsui (DH), Posada (2), Nady (9), Cano (4), Cabrera (8).

Rotation: 1-Sabathia, 2-Wang, 3-Burnett, 4-Pettitte, 5-Chamberlain

Bullpen: Rivera, Marte, Bruney, Ramirez, Veras, Aceves, Coke

Bench: Molina (C), Gardner (OF), Ransom (INF), Swisher (1B/OF)

12. Corey
      February 19th, 2009 | 11:26 am

———
      can’t help ya here, the first baseball season i remember fully was 1993 (i was 7)

13. Corey
      February 19th, 2009 | 11:36 am

——-
      sry mj, i copied/edited yours (im lazy)

Lineup: Damon (7), Jeter (6), Rodriguez (5), Teixeira (3), Posada (2), Matsui (DH), Cano (4), Nady (9), Gardner (8).

Rotation: 1-Sabathia, 2-Wang, 3-Burnett, 4-Pettitte, 5-Chamberlain

Bullpen: Rivera, Marte, Bruney, Ramirez, Veras, albaladejo, Coke

Bench: Molina (C), Cabrera(OF), Ransom (INF), Swisher (1B/OF)

14. YankCrank
      February 19th, 2009 | 11:41 am

’m curious how many WW regulars were around and remember the 1960 World Series.
      ——

Sorry, I was -24 in 1960.

15. antone
      February 19th, 2009 | 11:42 am

I agree with MJ’s lineup/rotation 100%, but I might dump Ramirez for Robertson or whoever else pitches well in spring training.

So is it pretty much a done deal that Hughes will be banished to the Minors this year barring injury? certainly looks that way.

16. YankCrank

Swisher RF
      Gardner CF

SP: CC

17. MJ
      February 19th, 2009 | 11:49 am

———
      I wouldn’t call it a banishment. The Yanks still think Hughes will be a major league starter so having him up in the bullpen won’t further his development in any way. If he’s down in AAA getting regular starts then he’ll be ready for a call-up if/when the time comes (and with all the injuries that occur during a season, it’s likely he’ll be up before too long).

18. antone
      February 19th, 2009 | 11:49 am

My father was 7 in 1960 haha

19. MJ
      February 19th, 2009 | 11:49 am

Sorry, I was -24 in 1960.
      ——–
      I was -15 which is why I’m asking around…

20. MJ
      February 19th, 2009 | 11:50 am

Bullpen: Rivera, Marte, Bruney, Ramirez, Veras, albaladejo, Coke
      ——-
      Corey, I totally forgot about Albaladejo. I agree with you in that case.

21. Corey
      February 19th, 2009 | 11:51 am

Sorry, I was -24 in 1960.
      ——–
      I was -15 which is why I’m asking around…

lol and i was -26 :P

22. Tcarda4
      February 19th, 2009 | 12:29 pm

My father was 18 during the 1960 world series and he said Maz’s HR in game 7 devastated him for weeks…”the worst moment in his sports fan life”

23. YankCrank
      February 19th, 2009 | 12:37 pm

You guys (MJ, antone, Corey) have reasoning behind Nady over Swish on opening day, or is it you’d just prefer him as the starting RF?

24. Corey
      February 19th, 2009 | 12:49 pm

I put nady in cause i feel he makes better contact then Swisher. Swisher might draw his walks and get on base more often than Nady, but if you’re hitting down in the lineup I feel making contact is more important than OBP. If Swish is batting 8th and gets a walk, who’s hitting behind him? What good is that high OBP when all you have to drive him in is Gardner/Cabrera? I’d prefer to have a contact guy that can drive in the guys ahead of him with high OBP (Matsui/Posada). When people are on base theres more holes in the infield, so contact hitters might be able to thrive a bit better (which is why i put cano behind them in MY lineup)

25. Corey
      February 19th, 2009 | 12:52 pm

I also think if the yanks make it to the World Series, Swisher could be the best pinch hitter we’ve ever had (as he can hit a big HR, or draw a walk so the top of the order can knock him in)

26. February 19th, 2009 | 1:02 pm

=======================
      I agree with your general assessment of the situation, MJ, but I think using SP prospects in the bullpen as longmen is, in general, a pretty good idea, and one that would further their development by giving them the chance to pitch to big league talent in low-leverage situations.

That said, considering all the solid BP arms the Yankees have (in addition to the impressive stamina of the rotation!), it probably isn’t the best option for this particular team.

27. antone
      February 19th, 2009 | 1:12 pm

I like Nady over Swisher because I like having Swisher as a switch hitter off the bench. Plus, I think Swisher has to prove he can still at a level that is worth starting him. I would imagine Swisher will get his at-bats anyway once either Matsui or Damon gets hurt or if Melky and Gardner completely tank.

28. MJ
      February 19th, 2009 | 1:25 pm

———-
      I agree, but I think that idea only works if you commit to getting the long-man regular work (as the Twins did with Johan Santana in 2001 or 2002). If the Yanks don’t commit to getting Hughes the regular work he’d need, it would be a waste.

Also, in theory, wouldn’t a pitcher have a greater chance to accumulate innnings in AAA (let’s say 150-160) as opposed to about 70-100 as a major league reliever?

29. MJ
      February 19th, 2009 | 1:26 pm

———–
      The only reason I put Nady in is because I think Swisher’s versatility will relegate him to less regular duty and more time across the diamond.

I suppose I flunked the excercise, however, because the question was what I’d do if I were GM. If I were GM, I’d start Swisher in RF and dump Nady’s body in a lake full of piranhas. I can’t stand Nady.

30. YankCrank
      February 19th, 2009 | 1:28 pm

——

Interesting take Corey, hadn’t really thought of it that way. Goor argument. However, i’d argue that whether it’s leadoff, 4th, 5th or 8th batter, the general goal is to find a way to get on base. Even if Gardner or Melky hitting behind him isn’t the same as Matsui or Posada, you still make the pitcher throw more pitches and work harder to get through the lineup. Plus, there’s a downside to each argument. Swish has a higher OBP, but he also strikes out more often. Nady can be a better contact hitter, but that contact isn’t always quality contact. Personally, i’ll always take the guy who succeeds best at what each batter’s goal should be with just about every non-sacrificial at bat, which is finding a way to get on base. Swish is better at that than Nady.

31. YankCrank
      February 19th, 2009 | 1:29 pm

—–

Haha wow, really? Why?

32. Corey
      February 19th, 2009 | 1:38 pm

Haha wow, really? Why?
      —-
      lol MJ dumps on Nady at every opportunity, how’d you miss that?

33. YankCrank
      February 19th, 2009 | 1:54 pm

ol MJ dumps on Nady at every opportunity, how’d you miss that?
      —–

Idk, I post on this blog every day and i must have missed it every time lol. Shame on me.

34. February 19th, 2009 | 2:06 pm

======================
      Well, Hughes would still be the sixth starter, so I don’t think he’d have any trouble collecting the innings.

But, you’re right about the need to commit to it, and I don’t think the Yankees want to do that (considering, as I said, the strength of their pen and the stamina of their starters). So AAA it is for him then.

February 19th, 2009 | 2:18 pm

I put nady in cause i feel he makes better contact then Swisher.
      ————
      Actually, they make contact at about the same rate.

36. bfriley76
      February 19th, 2009 | 2:19 pm

====

I’m a Swisher fan, so it’s probably coloring my response, but I think he’s due for a big bounce-back while Nady is due to regress. And this argument for Nady sounds dangerously close to Dusty Baker’s “Clogging Up the Bases” argument. You can’t score runs without getting guys on base, so I’d opt for the guy who does that the best.

37. MJ
      February 19th, 2009 | 2:25 pm

—–

Haha wow, really? Why?
      =======================
      I’ll start by saying that my dislike of Nady is totally irrational, kind of like Steve’s dislike of Phil Hughes.

My problem with Nady is that he’s simply a very mediocre player. If you compare his 1st/2nd half numbers from last year, you’ll see that his 1st half was fluky and his 2nd half is in line with his career numbers. I really hope Yankee fans realize that we gave up good stuff for a league-average RF.

Having said all that, the moment we signed Teixeira, I became less preoccupied with Nady because suddenly he didn’t have to be as big for us.

38. antone
      February 19th, 2009 | 2:31 pm

I will agree that Swisher has more upside than Nady. You pretty much know what you are getting with Nady at this point in his career. Swisher is a few years younger than Nady and may just have had a bad season. He was more productive than Nady before last year.

39. Evan3457
      February 19th, 2009 | 3:25 pm

Unlikely, but true.

Swisher’s OBA for the whole season, while hitting .219, was higher then Nady’s was after the trade to the Yanks, .332 to .320.

Swisher’s .240 is better to Nady’s .270. If Swisher hits .260 again, he’s clearly the better hitter.