• Why Does PECOTA Have Yanks Projected To Slug .424 As A Team In 2009?

Posted by on February 19th, 2009 · Comments (7)

Thanks to Evans Clinchy, I saw that Baseball Prospectus has released their annual Player Empirical Comparison and Optimization Test Algorithm (PECOTA) projections for the upcoming season. And, while I was looking at the PECOTA standings, and clicked on the Yankees, this question popped up:

Why does PECOTA have the Yankees projected to slug .424 as a team in 2009?

Could the reason be the fact that the Yankees, as a team, slugged .427 last year? I dunno. What do you think?

Comments on Why Does PECOTA Have Yanks Projected To Slug .424 As A Team In 2009?

1. MJ
      February 19th, 2009 | 11:05 pm

I’ve always wanted to know how much a bad year or an abberation can skew these projections…

2. Evan3457
      February 20th, 2009 | 8:30 am

Then check out Posada’s. Big dropoff from even an ‘average’ Posada season, due to his injury last year, and to comparisons to other catchers at his age:

AB: 257, R 28, H 64, 2B 13, 3B 1, HR 7, RBI 33, K 50, BB 28, BAVG .249, OBP .336, SLG .406

Now, that, in addition to having Molina as the backup, is a scary thought. Worst part is BP might be right. I don’t think they are, and it’s easy to pick on one projection that looks to be skewed.

Just for funsies, here’s my projection:

AB 430, R 52, H 117, 2B 24, 3B 1, HR 18, K 93, BB 50, BAVG .272, OBA .348, SLG .458

It all depends on the shoulder.

3. MJ
      February 20th, 2009 | 8:33 am

If that’s the case then I can’t really put too much stock in these analytical projections since they seem to be blindly spitting out numbers based on the previous season’s results. While I agree that Posada’s shoulder injury is a cause for alarm, it’s not terribly instructive to have a projection that assumes injuries as constant.

4. butchie22
      February 20th, 2009 | 10:03 am

I’m not a big fan of PECOTA and the like to begin with. Yes, they weren’t that prodigious in terms of offense and I have a concern with it BUT is the .427 an aberration or a reflection of the aging veterans on the Yankees? I think that it is a reflection of the diminishing veteran and newbie offense and that will be a concern for me.

February 20th, 2009 | 10:21 am

——–
      FWIW, it also takes into consideration age, and similar players.

We don’t know how the new Stadium is going to play. Having said that, I don’t think the Yanks are going to slug .427 as a team again, unless they have the same issues as they did last year. They were running a lineup short 3 players, with Cano, Cabrera & Molina stinking up the joint.

6. David
      February 20th, 2009 | 11:21 am

A projection based on the past could be wildly wrong for a particular player, but it’s likely to be closer for the team as a whole. Some players will do better than projected, some will do worse.

The Yanks hitters have a lot a lot of question marks:

– How many games will Posada play as catcher?
      – How well will Posada hit, given his age and surgery?
      – How big a decline due to age (if any) will Jeter, ARod, and Matsui, experience?
      – How will the steroid circus affect ARod?
      – What kind of production will they get from Gardner and Melky?
      – Will Cano bounce back? By how much?
      – Will Swisher bounce back? By how much?
      – What injuries will occur?
      – Who will they trade for in mid-season?

7. ken
      February 21st, 2009 | 12:31 pm

Pitching is why the Yanks have ‘underperformed’ in this decade and pitching will determine their chance of success/failure in the future.