• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 2/20/09

Posted by on February 20th, 2009 · Comments (12)

Feel free to use this post as a place for you to comment on anything Yankees-related (or within reach of tagging the bag of being Yankees-related on a decent slide) today. It could be a casual conversation offering, or, something you saw in the news, or something very detailed that you want to share that’s within the territory of Yankeeland.

Or, comment on something that someone else has posted here in the comments…

Have fun. Play nice. And, remember, keep it Yankees-focused.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 2/20/09

1. clintfsu813
      February 20th, 2009 | 7:37 am
    2. Corey
      February 20th, 2009 | 10:33 am

hey guys, im starting a yahoo fantasy league (free one) for fun, need some people so if anyone’s interested let me know, it’ll be fun

3. YankCrank
      February 20th, 2009 | 11:19 am

hey corey, i think it would be cool if we all got in on one. a WasWatching fantasy league.

4. MJ
      February 20th, 2009 | 11:35 am

I’m in too.

5. Tcarda4
      February 20th, 2009 | 12:07 pm

im just getting started with this site, but id like to join that fantasy league if possible.

6. Corey
      February 20th, 2009 | 12:34 pm

ok i set it up if you guys want to join shoot me an e-mail at bronxbomber2k7@gmail.com and i’ll get back to you tonight, i set up a 12 man head2head league, if theres any settings you guys would like to see/change from what exists let me know

7. Corey
      February 20th, 2009 | 12:36 pm

I currently have it set to auto draft, because I doubt there will be a time where we will all be available for a live draft. Also I feel like with an auto-draft, there leaves a lot of room for trades which to me makes the league more interesting. But I can switch it to live draft at any time, depending on the preferences of the group

8. MJ
      February 20th, 2009 | 2:33 pm

Going back to yesterday’s water cooler topic of why I don’t like Xavier Nady, Steven Goldman of the Pinstriped Bible says it best:

“Parenthetically, I know I’ve been like a broken record on the Nick Swisher-Nady stuff, but as we head into a Spring Training season in which the Yankees have few big decisions to make, right field stands out as a position where the Yankees can make a choice that will significantly impact the outcome of the season…Sorting out who starts shouldn’t be difficult at all, and is being complicated by a lot of statistical noise from last season. Swisher had a bad year by his standards, Nady a very good one. However, extrapolating from either season is unwise; Swisher is unlikely to have suffered a complete breakdown at age 27, just as Nady is unlikely to have found new strengths at age 30. Even a bad Swisher drew 82 walks and hit a home run every 21 at-bats; even a good Nady drew 39 walks and hit a home run every 22 at-bats. We’re talking about a difference that comes down to a fistful of singles, and we know those tend to come and go for hitters. Throw in that Swisher is the superior defensive player, and this really shouldn’t be a discussion at all.”

That’s EXACTLY right.

9. Corey
      February 20th, 2009 | 2:44 pm

interesting take, might have turned me gotta think about it a little more

10. butchie22
      February 20th, 2009 | 3:57 pm

Throw in that Swisher is the superior defensive player, and this really shouldn’t be a discussion at all.” Quote

UNh? Swisher is not really a great defender(he’s not really good at any position he plays) and on top of that look at his shitty season last year on the White Sox. Maybe Goldman watched Swish play in the Twilight Zone last year because this is pure hype/spin. Like I said after year’s less than medicre play, i’m very bearish on Swish…….

February 20th, 2009 | 4:35 pm

Career UZR/150 (RF only)
      NS: 9.4 (201 games)
      XN: -1.4 (402 games)

12. Corey
      February 20th, 2009 | 4:41 pm

Abreu UZR/150 last year: -23.1

either way it’ll be an upgrade