• August 4, 1985

Posted by on February 21st, 2009 · Comments (8)

At this very moment, the MLB Network is airing the Yankees game of August 4, 1985 as part of their All-Time Games series. Granted, that’s the day that Huckleberry, Seaver, rained on the Scooter’s parade. But, it’s so coooool to watch this one now. Rickey Henderson, Joe Cowley, Donnie Baseball, Ron Hassey, Willie Randolph, Dan Pasqua, Dave Winfield, Mike Pagliarulo, Bobby Meacham….ah, memories.

And, just the sights and sounds from a Yankees game, circa the ’80′s, being played, in the sun, at Yankee Stadium…from the crowd reactions to Eddie Layton’s tunes…right down to the ballplayers looking like human beings, and not hulks, and wearing their uniforms properly….

I’m telling ya, getting to watch this today is like having a nice, warm, friendly, blankie on a cold and rainy day. It just feels right.

I found this one by accident – as I just got back from some errands and flicked on the TV when I got in. Man, what a great surprise…

Comments on August 4, 1985

February 21st, 2009 | 12:05 pm

Dang, the channel listings mentioned they were going to rebroadcast a Mets game… Ah, just as well, I’m sure they’ll replay it tonight.

***wearing their uniforms properly….***

I remember the unis to be quite tight, ewwww :D

2. February 21st, 2009 | 1:12 pm

I attended that game with my father when I was 12 and still have the ticket stubs.

How ’bout Seaver going all nine innings and allowing just six hits at age 40? Dude had a 3.17 ERA (sixth-best in the AL) over 238 innings that season.

3. YankCrank
      February 21st, 2009 | 1:52 pm

I’m glad you’re enjoying the game, but how do today’s players not wear their uniforms correctly?

4. February 21st, 2009 | 2:00 pm

See: Sabathia, CC. Or, See: Ramirez, Manny.

5. February 21st, 2009 | 2:02 pm

Other cool things in this game. Seeing Oscar Gamble play for the Chisox with number “0″ on his uniform back…

6. YankCrank
      February 21st, 2009 | 3:05 pm

If you ask me, as long as CC is a successful pitcher for the Yanks, he can wear a straight-brimmed cap to the side any day he wants. He can wear his jersey backwards for all I care.

7. February 22nd, 2009 | 12:06 am

[...] on the Economy / August 4, 1985 / New Stadium, new Yanks, new [...]

8. February 22nd, 2009 | 11:40 pm

In regards to CC, would you really *want* to see him in a uniform that fit ‘correctly’…?

Remember Steve Balboni?