• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 2/24/09

Posted by on February 24th, 2009 · Comments (16)

Feel free to use this post as a place for you to comment on anything Yankees-related (or within reach of tagging the bag of being Yankees-related on a decent slide) today. It could be a casual conversation offering, or, something you saw in the news, or something very detailed that you want to share that’s within the territory of Yankeeland.

Or, comment on something that someone else has posted here in the comments…

Have fun. Play nice. And, remember, keep it Yankees-focused.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 2/24/09

1. Corey
      February 24th, 2009 | 9:21 am

i realize its good to give the guys a day off and take them to the pool hall and what not, but this early in ST shouldn’t they be practicing? How could they NEED a day off already?

2. February 24th, 2009 | 9:29 am

Not sure, given the WBC and exhib games, there would be another day, besides yesterday, that they could have done it?

February 24th, 2009 | 9:39 am

Besides, at this level, and especially at this day and age, ST is more for the young’uns and the rehab guys, and those players on the bubble.

With year round conditioning available, among other things, I don’t think ST is as important as it was in years past…

4. clintfsu813
      February 24th, 2009 | 9:55 am

More than anything I saw it as a great way to build some team chemistry. Everyone says we only get “guns for hire” who just care about winning. Everyone wants to win. I was glad to see the big names just hangin out with guys like Coke and Brackman.

5. YankCrank
      February 24th, 2009 | 10:05 am

How could Cashman let them play pool?!? He obviously has no clue what he’s doing!! This just goes in line with all of his terrible pitching moves that proves he’s a moronic, useless general manager!

The old, “true” Yankees would have never done this! It’s all A-Rod’s fault!

6. Corey
      February 24th, 2009 | 10:54 am

if you don’t like somebody, playing pool isn’t going to change your mind is my point. seems like a waste of time is all

7. MJ
      February 24th, 2009 | 11:04 am

———
      It might’ve been a waste of baseball time but if everyone enjoyed themselves (and if you read the quotes, it seems like they did) then the field trip accomplished its purpose.

The point isn’t for all 25 players to like eachother, it’s for all 25 players to just have fun being on the team. I thought it was a nice thing for Girardi to do and, as Raf said, it’s not like the few hours not spent on the field really matter that much anyway.

8. butchie22
      February 24th, 2009 | 11:39 am

The old, “true” Yankees would have never done this! It’s all A-Rod’s fault!Quote

Cash Man should be blamed for the war in Iraq ,too while you are at it. You can parody voices of dissent on this board, but that irony will be lost on you while the season progresses and things don’t go Brainless’ way. Look, the pool thing is OK, but they have to try anything after a 3rd place finish, no? What is Ca$h Man gonna say: we need to have a laser like focus, when he doesn’t have a laser like focus.

Arod/Aclod/Aroid? According to everyone I talk to(especially Yankee haters), Aroid is a True Blue Yankee. Why? He is an overpaid, spoiled and steroid taking supestar! That fits a pattern on this team,no? Don’t worry mate, Aclod is a full blown Yankke and you’ll be seeing this mess for the next count ‘em NINE years. It will be tons of fun watching the True Yankee Afrod for that time. I wonder he came to the pool game yesterday?

February 24th, 2009 | 12:06 pm

—————-

10. YankCrank
      February 24th, 2009 | 12:12 pm

Butchie, why does it always seem like you’re threatening me with your posts? Idk if you mean to do it, but you speak in very Lord of the Ring-ish fashion at me about my Yankee opinions.

Examples:

-”You can parody voices of dissent on this board, but that irony will be lost on you while the season progresses”

-”Don’t worry mate, Aclod is a full blown Yankke and you’ll be seeing this mess for the next count ‘em NINE years.”

Did I miss something? Do my opinions threaten you and make me the Frodo T Baggins of Yankee fans or something?

11. Corey
      February 24th, 2009 | 2:28 pm

dont throw THAT ring into the volcano

12. YankCrank
      February 24th, 2009 | 3:17 pm

haha, good one Corey

13. February 24th, 2009 | 4:49 pm

==============
      Dude, why do you think Jeter, Cano and Melky had those subpar years? And why do you think Wang and Posada got hurt?

Fact is, pool is one of the best forms of exercise around. And it helps your timing, too.

I was down on this team, but I’m now convinced they’re going to make the playoffs. And it will all be because of the pool. And no one will be able to prove otherwise.

I’m just joking, of course. But when the Yankees do well next season, someone’s going to write a column saying basically what I just wrote. You can pretty much see the gestation of this sure to be continuing story in the way Abraham worded his post (it being right out of Coughlin’s playbook, etc). Because in the world of the media, correlation does equal causation. And chemistry makes a nice, simple story no one has to think about too hard.

14. butchie22
      February 24th, 2009 | 8:57 pm

Quote from Crank

Crank what the heck are you talking about? Lord of the Rings? You must be a fantasist then, am I correct? Then again, you and Corey remind me of Wormtongue, Gollum, and one of those small guys, the Hobbits combined sometimes! I couldn’t help that one….touche’.

Crank, I honestly don’t know your age, but wise up a bit. There are different people who have different opionions on this board and that is the reality on this board. I hate Burnit and Cash Man and you seem to love them. I’m not hoping that the team does poorly, BUT the fish rots from the head and Cash Man has done a very inferior job with the most money(by far) and the most resources (scouting included), yet the Bosox have two World Series in the last two years. I’ll keep defending Theo and you can gladly defend Cash Man, but I have a bad feeling that my gut feeling about Cash Man’s 2009 adjustments and the signing of Burnit will come to bit the Yanks in the butt by the end of the year. If you cry when he’s fired, I can supply you with all the tissues you want, gratis. On the other hand, it will be a joyous ocassion when Brainless is shown the gangplank. I hope that comes sooner ,rather than later.
      Afrod/Aclod/Aroid/LightingRod? He’s a great player but a dope, you can’t get around that. And the fact that he is a true blue Yankee. In the past, I used to question all the people , who hated this public relations nightmare because of his talent and contribution to the team. Arod has become such a distraction and that will have an effect on the team ,no doubt.

Not shooting pool wasn’t the reason they finished in 3rd place. Subpar years from Jeter, Cano & Melky, along with injuries to Wang and Posada was the reason the Yanks didn’t perform as well as they should have.Quote from Raf

Raf, I was being ironic. Let’s hope that the subpar year don’t become years with these guys but Jeter is getting older,Melky is an 4th outfielder (who Cash Man likes BTW , that should tell you how middling and average he is)and Cano is one of the laziest players in the AL. Cano with Alex Rios should win an award for players with so much potential and being so unfocused. Posada is someone who is getting older and can’t catch a full season. And Wang ? Wang is now their number 3, where he belongs but can he stay healthy? I hope for this team’s sake he will.

15. Tresh Fan
      February 24th, 2009 | 9:16 pm

…yet the Bosox have two World Series in the last two years.
      _______________

Butchie, I hate to burst your bubble, but….

February 25th, 2009 | 11:04 am

…yet the Bosox have two World Series in the last two years.
      ————-