• Driving Miss Doozy

Posted by on February 25th, 2009 · Comments (22)

Via George King -

Just when you think Alex Rodriguez has figured out how to turn around this public relations’ nightmare, he does something ridiculous.

After Rodriguez won over some of the crowd and said all the right things during an interview session, he climbed into a burgundy SUV. As A-Rod approached the vehicle the passenger side window went down and Yuri Sucart was the man behind the wheel.

Sucart is the cousin that allegedly purchased and injected Rodriguez with steroids from 2001-’03. And the cousin that reporters have been searching since Rodriguez’s press conference where he explained some of the details of his steroid use.

You know…part of me thinks, here…”Vincent Chase could never dump Turtle; so, why should we expect A-Rod to ditch Yuri?”

But, the other part of me agrees with the point here made by George King. It’s been a week since we learned that Yuri Sucart was the name of A-Rod’ PED mule. Why parade the dude around now, at a time when the media is still hot on you and it’s the first exhibition game of the Spring? Whether it’s due to ignorance or apathy, it’s the wrong thing to do.

On February 18th, A-Rod said: “The only thing I ask of this group today and the American people is to judge me from this day forward.”

O.K. Alex. You’ve now got one big bad red mark on your Post-PED-Confession/Apology Delaney Card. It’s for a failing grade under “Avoiding Unnecessary Attention.” Let’s see how many more of these you can rack up before Opening Day.

Comments on Driving Miss Doozy

1. Total Blam
      February 25th, 2009 | 11:41 pm

Enough A-Rod bashing already! We get it; you hate A-Rod and wish he weren’t a Yankee. But “A-Rod gets ride from his cousin” isn’t a story.

2. thenewguy
      February 26th, 2009 | 12:55 am

I agree with Total Blam for the most part. I doubt the guy is a “steroid peddler” so much as a guy who does anything for a guy. I mean, it is his family. He has been accused of smuggling drugs in like 6 years ago, and that’s it.

That said, A-Rod is a moron for having him pick him up at the stadium, even if Nick Swisher is with them. I’m pretty much 100% behind A-Rod, mostly because I can’t get worked up about a guy doing PEDs. Or because he only confessed to it after he got caught. But A-Rod seriously has absolutely no clue on how to handle the media. Everyone in the mainstream media seems to hate him, he is always stepping on his own toes, and he just can’t seem to figure it out.

He should realize that if Yuri picks him up, it’s going to be a big story. What the hell is he paying all of those advisors for? Anyone on earth could tell him not to do that. I dont get it.

3. thenewguy
      February 26th, 2009 | 12:56 am

______

*meant to say “does anything for A-Rod.”

4. williamnyy
      February 26th, 2009 | 7:28 am

Arod “earned” the A-Fraud nickname not for taking steroids, but for trying to do carefully crafted things to appease the media and promote his image. Of course, when he doesn’t do the “right thing”, he gets blasted for not avoiding attention. Was having his cousin drive him home an image conscious thing? Of course not, but maybe, Arod likes his cousin and wanted to spend time with him (maybe he and Swisher were going to get something to eat with him?). I could care less if Arod appeases the mediots and those who have appointed themselves the morality police. I want him to do whatever makes him play baseball better. The pettiness around Arod, which has always been monumental, really has nothing to do with steroids…it will always be there. The less Arod focuses on trying to make shallow people happy, the better off the Yankees will be.

5. handtius
      February 26th, 2009 | 8:55 am

You know, this shows good character to me. He’s sticking by his cousin. What he did was his fault, not his cousins and he’s not going to disown his cousin for it.

6. MJ
      February 26th, 2009 | 9:05 am

This article by George King — together with ESPN’s reporting of the same story, and anyone else’s for that matter — is testament to the type of brainless drivel that the mainstream press continues to feed its brainless audience.

A-Rod got a ride home from the park with his cousin. Unless A-Rod then proceeded to take off his pants and take a steroids injection in his butt, this is not news. Does anyone care that my cousin and I are going out to dinner on Friday night? Does George King care that my cousin and I will probably drink a few beers after that?

7. YankCrank
      February 26th, 2009 | 9:34 am

This very much reminds me of a “Britney Spears got in the car with Kevin Federline!” kind of story. That’s what the A-Rod coverage has turned into. TMZ may as well join the New York tabloid writers in following Alex.

There’s one thing I have already accepted about A-Rod, and that’s that he will most likely always be hated by the media and baseball fans, including some Yankee fans, and nothing you can say will make Yankee fans appreciate the amount of pure talent and skill he brings to our team. Everyone speaks of Cashman running the team in to the ground, but if he never acquired A-Rod in 2004, this team wouldn’t have sniffed the playoffs in 04, 05 and 07. So with that, this news doesn’t bother me because i’ve come to expect it. I can care less about the NY media because this is what they do, it’s more the fans that buy into this crap and let the “OMG HE NEVER HIT SIN THE PLAYOFFS” and “HE IS DATING MADONNA” stories ruin their perception of the kind of ballplayer he is. He can possibly, one day, go down as the greatest player to ever put on the Yankee uniform and people will still be screaming “Yeah, but he dropped a pop-up in 2006 and Scott Brosius NEVER dropped pop-ups!”

8. BJ
      February 26th, 2009 | 9:54 am

You would piss on ARod if he didn’t continue to have his cousin around. He is in a no win situation with bloggers and the press. Why don’t you take a poll on who thinks this is and issue worth reporting. I think you would be surprized at the results.

February 26th, 2009 | 10:08 am

————

10. February 26th, 2009 | 10:40 am

BJ – let me get this straight…A-Rod does something off the field, something that is newsworthy enough in the sense that at least two major newspapers and a major national sports broadcasting channel felt it was worth reporting, and I’m supposed to turn a blind eye to it because mentioning it – and commenting on it – may upset the A-Rod Apologists in Yankeeland? Is that what you’re suggesting? Really?

11. February 26th, 2009 | 10:43 am

~~A-Rod got a ride home from the park with his cousin.~~

Com’on MJ. If it was just any cousin, yes, that’s not a story. But, this is the same cousin that he threw under the bus last week as being his PED smuggling mule. And, the same cousin who bunked with a known PED pusher for the entire 2007 season. That makes this a story.

12. Tcarda4
      February 26th, 2009 | 10:48 am

I dont think modeling this sites coverage after what ESPN covers is necesarrily a great idea, if it was ESPN you were referring to as the major sports broadcasting channel. That channel sensationalizes every fake and irrelevant story they can, its not even about sports anymore with ESPN. This is what i was talking abuot yesterday, its one thing to not like a person but piling on with this type of tabloid fodder seems pointless.

13. BJ
      February 26th, 2009 | 11:04 am

What I am saying is that you should understand that the general public as I see it doesn’t think it is newsworthy. I could be wrong so take a poll of your readers and see what they think. As I said before, I think you will be surprized at the outcome. Why not report on his performance and how he handle the fans in a positive way. Why so negative all the time. Believe it or not people still want to hear the brightside of things.

14. MJ
      February 26th, 2009 | 12:15 pm

——-
      I understand why people THINK it’s a story, and for all the reasons you mentioned. But it’s still not a story because simply hanging around a relative — no matter what that relative is allegedly responsible for — still doesn’t make it a story.

Suppose for a second that it hadn’t been his cousin that supplied the PED’s but his wife instead. Had she come by the park to give him a lift home, should he have refused a ride from his wife because people might think he was going back home to shoot up steroids?

That this story was reported doesn’t make it any less ridiculous.

15. February 26th, 2009 | 1:12 pm

FYI, FWIW, Pete Abe asked Cashman his opinion on Yuri Sucart driving his players to and from games.

As per Pete, “It has been handled,” Cashman said. “That’s all I want to say, it has been handled.”

Pete then asked whether Sucart would still be allowed to transport players to and from games and Cashman played the it’s been handled card again.

Looks like the Yankees don’t think this is the non-story that some fans feel that it is…

16. YankCrank
      February 26th, 2009 | 1:21 pm

——

I think it’s a very different way to look at it. I understand Cashman’s push to keep Sucart away from A-Rod. It’s a PR move, where any time this man is around A-Rod it gives ESPN and the public another chance to be reminded of A-Rod and his PED use. The faster the Yanks can separate A-Rod from anything that will remind us of the issue, the better. So for Cashman and the Yanks, Sucart needs to go away and go away for good.

But, as a Yankee fan i’m extremely sick of the A-Rod stories and the invasion of his privacy. I just want baseball to start for good and let the games speak for our team!

17. MJ
      February 26th, 2009 | 1:26 pm

——-
      Exactly. Cashman would rather not have ESPN and other media outlets reporting this “news” so he’s “handled it.” Still doesn’t mean the act of accepting a ride home from your cousin is newsworthy or evidence of impropriety.

18. February 26th, 2009 | 2:24 pm

You see “cousin” whereas some others still see “PED smuggling mule cousin.”

There’s a difference, no? ;-)

19. MJ
      February 26th, 2009 | 3:44 pm

You see “cousin” whereas some others still see “PED smuggling mule cousin.”

There’s a difference, no?
      ——–
      In the grand scheme of this A-Rod/PED issue, this is a non-story. He drove home with a member of his family. What they did at home is certainly a question we might want to ask if we find out that he’s still using. But to spend all this time talking about sitting in a car with someone else — a member of his family, no less — is preposterous.

20. BellaSakura
      February 26th, 2009 | 4:41 pm

So as long as we don’t SEE A-Rod with the cousin at the ballpark then it okay? This is why stupid crap like this annoys me.

No logic. Its fake PR spin which I never buy. I find it insulting but apparently media and some fans love to be lied to.

I’d be more concerned about what was going on out of sight. That’s IF I was worried about him being around the cousin.

February 26th, 2009 | 7:19 pm

———-
      Especially if he had failed a test within the past couple of years.

22. February 27th, 2010 | 10:41 am

[...] guess this is what happens when you don’t have Yuri Sucart to drive you around any [...]