• Wild Thought: D.J./WBC/D.L./O.C.

Posted by on February 25th, 2009 · Comments (17)

Today’s wild thought centers around the World Baseball Classic – as that seems to be the big topic in baseball these days – and, of course, it has a Yankees twist…this being WasWatching.com and all…

Suppose, and, of course, heaven forbid, Derek Jeter gets injured playing in the WBC – injured bad enough that it would bring cause for him to miss the entire 2009 baseball season. That would be terrible news for the Yankees and their fans.

If this were to happen, I could see the Yankees quickly going out and signing Orlando Cabrera – who’s still out there looking for a job – to a one-year deal to plug the gap with Jeter out. Such a move, under those conditions, would not seem like a reach.

How weird would that be – to see Orlando Cabrera playing shortstop for the Yankees on Opening Day – at the new Yankee Stadium? For me, that would be bizarre.

And, what if the Yankees went on to win a World Series ring, in 2009, with Orlando Cabrera as their starting shortstop? I wonder how that would sit with Yankees fans and/or the legacy of Derek Jeter?

Yeah, I know, this is pie in the sky stuff. The odds of it happening are probably something that can’t be calculated. Then again, that’s what wild thoughts are all about, right?

Let’s just hope that Jeter doesn’t get hurt in the WBC…

Comments on Wild Thought: D.J./WBC/D.L./O.C.

1. YankCrank
      February 25th, 2009 | 12:30 pm

It would definitely suck to have Jeter miss out on the first year at the stadium, and a year without Jeter would suck. However, Orlando Cabrera would not be a bad replacement. They had a somewhat similar OPS (.771 for Jeter, .705 for O.C. in 08), and Cabrera is the superior defender (UZR of 16.4 in 08 compared to Jeter’s -.06). I’m not saying I want it to happen, but if this wild scenario came true than we wouldn’t be in such a terrible situation. I can think of worst replacements that Cabrera.

February 25th, 2009 | 12:36 pm

—————–
      I’m sure fans wouldn’t mind either way. As for Jeter’s legacy, it won’t have any bearing on it; he’s been with the team forever. I don’t think fans will forget him.

3. MJ
      February 25th, 2009 | 2:17 pm

—————–
      ———————
      Agreed. Although it would be perfectly alright with me because then it could (emphasis on the uncertainty of the word “could”) trigger the Yanks letting him go if Cabrera did a great job.

That would make me very happy.

4. Tcarda4
      February 25th, 2009 | 2:39 pm

i enjoy checking this site daily to hear from other yankee fans and check for new news stories, but ive never seen so many unloyal fans in my life. seems odd to me. just something ive noticed since ive started checknig the site

5. MJ
      February 25th, 2009 | 2:51 pm

ive never seen so many unloyal fans in my life
      ———
      I don’t think any of us here are disloyal. Steve hates Cashman/A-Rod/Hughes and I hate Jeter/Nady but I think if you met either of us, you’d probably re-think your stance that we’re disloyal fans.

I’ve met Steve twice and I can vouch for his Yankee credentials. I think he’d say the same about me.

February 25th, 2009 | 2:58 pm

————–
      Please elaborate…

7. YankCrank
      February 25th, 2009 | 3:00 pm

MJ, you hate Jeter? I thought you were just in favor of letting him walk after his current contract. How do you justify hating Derek Jeter?

8. February 25th, 2009 | 3:29 pm

Good idea for a poll. Thanks guys.

9. MJ
      February 25th, 2009 | 3:36 pm

—–
      I guess “hate” is a strong word. I just don’t have the warm-and-fuzzies for him like most Yanks fans do. Like DiMaggio before him, he does a good job of putting up a wall around him so I just don’t find him as endearing as many of his teammates. There’s more but it’s not really worth getting into. It essentially boils down to his arm’s-length personality and, as you said, the fact that I wish the Yanks would cut him loose after 2010.

10. Tcarda4
      February 25th, 2009 | 3:47 pm

i dont mean to be attacking your status as yankee fans, it just seems like theres so much negativity around the players you cant stand instead of talking about the team and being excited for the season. For example i will never accept Damon as a yankee and cant stand him to this day, even in his 4th year here, but i will still support him and i dont waste time trashing him bc whats the use in that?

11. MJ
      February 25th, 2009 | 3:55 pm

——-
      This is a very negative/pessimistic site, there’s no question about it. But that’s part of the site’s personality and I think part of its unique appeal to regular readers. Some fans of the site enjoy/agree with it and others come here to try and argue the other point of view.

Having said that, I think most everyone that comes here is definitely excited for the new season. If they weren’t interested in baseball, why else would they spend hours on this site (as I do)?

12. clintfsu813
      February 25th, 2009 | 3:55 pm

I think the Championship drought has brought a lot of pessimism. I’m sure a message board such as this being posted sometime in 1999 would have alot more positivity.

13. Tcarda4
      February 25th, 2009 | 4:01 pm

understandable

14. YankCrank
      February 25th, 2009 | 4:02 pm

Tcarda4:

I never thought you were attacking us. That’s your opinion that you have of us over what you’ve read, and that’s cool. I thought the same thing when I first started commenting here, but I noticed over time that the comments on the blog seem to reflect the author. I come here because Steve is a very knowledgeable fan, but much of what he writes can sometimes be described as a less than optimistic manner, and also very anti-Cashman. We all have our own opinions, some positive and some negative, and we tend to butt heads. That’s what makes it fun for me. If I want true optimism and every Yankee fan agreeing that Jeter is God and A-Rod is a piece of crap, than i’ll go to other Yankee blogs.

15. Tcarda4
      February 25th, 2009 | 4:13 pm

thats cool i have no problem with it. i was really just stating my observation; like i said ive only been visiting this site for a couple weeks so i didnt realize that is just the personality of the site. Keep it up, im obviously still coming anyway so it wasnt a deterrent haha

16. thenewguy
      February 25th, 2009 | 5:23 pm

tcarda4:

I would simply say that one of the things I like most about this site (and what got me here in the first place) was someone telling me that WasWatching offered the “other” perspective on the Yankees, oftentimes. The thing I like about this blog is that Steve isn’t simply one of the ridiculous posters you can find in Pete Abe’s comment section. Some may call it pessimism; I’m sure Steve would call it “guarded analysis” or “realistic” or “temperant” or something not quite as negative sounding.

Hey, we all have biases. At least Steve is upfront about his displeasure for Cashman/IPK/Hughes, which is much more than can be said about many blogs who continually scream about objectivity when they couldn’t be further from it.

Basically, I can come to WW to have my views challenged by someone other than a 21 year-old journalism major from SUNY Cortland or something. Steve knows what he’s talking about, and (generally) backs his viewpoints up with good statistics.

17. Evan3457
      February 25th, 2009 | 8:24 pm

Heck, if Cabrera were willing to take a bench job, I’d pay him $5 million to play behind Jeter and Cano.

But Hal wouldn’t, and Cabrera would still want to start at this point of his career.