• Cashman: Rays Young, Talented, Deep & Emerging

Posted by on February 26th, 2009 · Comments (25)

Via Ken Rosenthal -

“I see a [Tampa Bay Rays] team deep in pitching, a team with great defense, a team with young, emerging position players, a team that knows how to win,” Yankees general manager Brian Cashman says.

“On paper, they’re better than they were last year. And last year, obviously, they were the best in the league.”

Finally, there is the question of luck: The Rays last season produced 45 come-from-behind victories and finished 29-18 in one-run games.

“Everything went right for them,” Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi says. “Not to take anything away from them — they’re a force to be reckoned with. They’ve got good management, good young players. But it was a magical year.”

Cashman does not necessarily agree.

“I understand that (argument),” he says. “But at the end of the day, they’re so young, so talented, that even if there was some luck along the way, now it’s a new year.

“They go into this year knowing they’re good. They don’t have to learn how to win now. That’s a huge hurdle they’ve passed mentally. Now they have to deal with being the hunted instead of the hunter. That’s a different mentality, too.

“But no one can dispute their talent. No one can dispute their ability. They match up with anybody in the game. That’s a fact.”

Agreed, the Rays are good. And, the Red Sox are good too.

Further, the Blue Jays are no push-overs either.

If the Orioles can somehow manage to be a .500 team this year, it makes things in the A.L. very interesting.

In a way, the Yankees will almost have to play .650 baseball against all teams not from the A.L. East this season to win 95 games. Can they do it? What do you think?

Comments on Cashman: Rays Young, Talented, Deep & Emerging

1. Corey
      February 26th, 2009 | 3:10 pm

the orioles should be interesting this year, I hear they have quite the catching prospect

2. February 26th, 2009 | 3:18 pm

He may not start the season with them Corey. The trick for the O’s will be their SP.

The can hit. But, they need SP who can get them into the 7th inning, often, to have a chance to be a better team than last year.

3. Corey
      February 26th, 2009 | 3:25 pm

altho they’ve proven the past few years that they don’t need good pitching to shut our offense down…i think the real key is OUR pitching (im talking of course about only O’s vs. Yanks matchup, they will get wrecked by the rest of the league)

4. thenewguy
      February 26th, 2009 | 3:38 pm

I don’t see the O’s making much sound this year. And I don’t see how the Blue Jays can win 86 games again. The Rays might be good, but I just don’t see them doing BETTER than last year.

In baseball, you always have to break even against the good teams and smash the inferior ones. The Yanks just need to do that.

5. clintfsu813
      February 26th, 2009 | 3:46 pm

Speaking of the Rays..Yanks won 5-1 including a 3 run dinger by Shelley. Not a big deal, but i’ll take it!

6. bfriley76
      February 26th, 2009 | 3:53 pm

Yes the Rays and Sox are going to be good, though I don’t think the Rays are going to be as good as last year. I have a hard time seeing their bullpen performing as well as it did last year.

I think you might be overestimating the Blue Jays Steve. Their strength last year was their pitching, and this year’s team has to make up almost 500 innings from three of their top 4 pitchers last year (Burnett, Marcum, McGowan). I’d also like to see Litsch repeat his performance from last year before totally believing it. His low K totals give me pause.

I’m not buying the O’s either, to be honest.

7. MJ
      February 26th, 2009 | 3:56 pm

I want to know why people think so highly of the Blue Jays? Their offense is barely league average and their rotation will be without Burnett (Yanks) and McGowan (rehab). They’re .500 at best and probably a few games worse than that.

The O’s have no rotation to speak of. They’ll be below .500 too.

8. clintfsu813
      February 26th, 2009 | 3:59 pm

I agree on The Jays and O’s. I dont see them owning us this year as much as seasons past. Especially since we have Burnett, lol

9. Corey
      February 26th, 2009 | 4:01 pm

i dunno the reason i’m afraid of the blue jays is you know they will set it up so that you will set Doc in a series with the yanks, and thats just an auto-loss (at least it feels like it when i see him on the mound on YES)

====—
      The O’s have no rotation to speak of. They’ll be below .500 too.
      ==========
      i dunno i kinda like guthrie

10. Bostowned
      February 26th, 2009 | 4:09 pm

lol…..nope. I honestly believe that the season is already over. Arod’s BS is going to ruin the season. I’ll still watch the games and root on my team but how can anyone seriously say that a guy who has been a historically un-clutch player, can play well when hes going to be ridiculed 10 times worse this year in all venues around the league and be under an even smaller microscope? His first 0-4 he’ll get hammered. His first 4-4, he’ll get hammered. It wont end all season long.

Thanks to Arod, the Yanks have become the San Fransisco Giants.

11. Corey
      February 26th, 2009 | 4:10 pm

Thanks to Arod, the Yanks have become the San Fransisco Giants.
      =======

i cant tell if your serious or not but either way: lmao

12. Bostowned
      February 26th, 2009 | 4:14 pm

I am, but Im not at the same time! lol

13. MJ
      February 26th, 2009 | 4:33 pm

Thanks to Arod, the Yanks have become the San Fransisco Giants.
      ——-
      Huh? Didn’t Barry take the Giants to the World Series in 2002?

Further, if you actually think this Yankee team is as lousy as the Giants of the past several years, I’m going to have to strongly disagree with you.

14. MJ
      February 26th, 2009 | 4:33 pm

The O’s have no rotation to speak of. They’ll be below .500 too.
      ==========
      i dunno i kinda like guthrie
      —————————-
      Guthrie’s OK but he’s no #1 and the rest of their rotation is a mess.

15. Bostowned
      February 26th, 2009 | 4:45 pm

====================================

Ummm no, you missed my point. I was merely saying that the Yankees organization now looks like the Giants organization whereas we have a juiced up cleanup hitter that we cant get rid of but pretend to be behind the whole time. Come on, dont think that for a second the Yankees wouldn’t drop Arod like a bad habit if they could. Someone would sign him but it wouldn’t be the RedSox, so you’d lose what? Clutch-less hits? Another name on the Yankee resume of all stars? Pffft…its not worth the bad press.

Oh and I firmly believe that baseball is NOT basketball, thus one player does NOT take a team to a title. Bonds couldn’t single-handedly take the Giants to the 2002 WS.

16. MJ
      February 26th, 2009 | 4:50 pm

———-
      Rubbish. Yanks don’t make the playoffs in 2005 and 2007 without A-Rod. I take it you’re one from the school of thought that says that A-Rod’s stats are entirely hollow and thus worthless?

17. Corey

Bostowned,

I hate you
      ====
      ? pointless?

February 26th, 2009 | 7:08 pm

——–
      That hurt them last year as well. They would’ve been right in the thick of things if they beat up on the weak sisters of the league.

21. February 26th, 2009 | 8:42 pm

I just have a feeling that the Blue jays are going to tumble big time. They may have the worst record in baseball in 2009

22. butchie22
      February 27th, 2009 | 9:47 am

Steve, I agree with your statements regarding the Yankees’ rivals. Nutball, you are truly a Nutball.:) I don’t think the Jays will have the worst record BUT they won’t win 86 games this year but they have the best pitcher in baseball, the best relief corps AND they are great defensively. And MacGowan is coming back in May. They have a kid like Cecil whose fundamentals are like David Price’s so they won’t be as bad as people think. Problem is they can’t hit at all!

The Os will be better but they are a team in progress. I don’t know if their SP will hold up, though Andy MacPhail’s rebuilding plan is not a bad one. I think it will take another season to get over 500. Tremblay is teaching them the basics and that counts for something THOUGH I don’t know if that’s enough to get them over .500.

The Red Sox added some small tweaks here and there and are a slightly better team on paper than last year. They have questions: will Lowell and Big Flappi return to form? Can Baldelli even play half a season. I like the Smoltz addition, that was a good move.

The Rays had a lot of the stars aligned last year BUT they had a ton of talent ready to burst out in 2009. They will probably be better this year. Burrell was a decent pickup and gives their line up more balance.

In essence, the Yanks have to win almost every battle to win the war. That will be the challenge of this season. This is not a season where they can afford to take certain teams or games for granted.Look at how they did against a mediocre” , overrated’ team like Toronto last year. Bostowned, you make too much sense about Afrod! He is a great player but a distraction to the other players, no doubt.Supposedly the other players hate always being asked about Aclod. This will intensify when he gets involved in some other Madonna like scandal.

February 27th, 2009 | 10:39 am

Tremblay is teaching them the basics and that counts for something
      ————
      And for those out there keeping score, Dave Trembley has no experience as a player :)

And, we graduated from the same college, SUNY Brockport :D

24. Evan3457
      February 28th, 2009 | 4:59 am

No, they can’t do it.

No point in watching the season.

Or posting any more threads. Might as well shut down the site. :)

25. March 1st, 2009 | 11:43 am