• A-Rod, Circa 2002: Drug Use Tarnishes The Purity Of The Game

Posted by on February 28th, 2009 · Comments (12)

Via an Alan Schwarz feature on ESPN.com on July 17, 2002:

“ As a fan, you don’t want to believe it. It’s surreal. My hero was Keith Hernandez. If you had said anything bad about Keith I would call you a liar. It tarnished the purity of the game. ”

— Alex Rodriguez on drug abuse in baseball during the mid-’80s

Then again, A-Rod was young, dumb and naïve when he said this, right?

Comments on A-Rod, Circa 2002: Drug Use Tarnishes The Purity Of The Game

1. thenewguy
      February 28th, 2009 | 11:06 am

Give it a rest. Three weeks after the fact, did you dig up quotes from Pettitte or Giambi about how they hate steroid users, too?

I mean, what do you want him to have said? “Well, actually, I’m a steroid user myself, so I don’t think it tarnishes the game.”?

Obviously, any time a reporter asked Alex about steroids before he was outed, he was going to give them boiler-plate material.

Is this somehow news?

2. BellaSakura
      February 28th, 2009 | 11:21 am

“If what I did was an error in judgment on my part, I apologize,” Andy Pettitte.

“I felt an obligation to get back to my team as soon as possible,” Pettitte said. “For this reason, and only this reason, for two days I tried human growth hormone. Though it was not against baseball rules, I was not comfortable with what I was doing, so I stopped.”

“I haven’t done anything,” Pettitte said on Oct. 1, 2006. “I guess reports are saying I’ve used performance-enhancing drugs. I’ve never used any drugs to enhance my performance in baseball before. I don’t know what else to say except to say it’s embarrassing my name would be out there.”

——
      Looking at the way A-Rod gets trashed for his comments its laughable to read Andy’s comments. He would get ripped…if he wasn’t such a nice guy that everyone likes. Thats the difference.

Now, I like Andy but I don’t believe for ONE MINUTE he only did HGH twice. And if you took it once because you were hurt why didn’t you keep doing it when you were injured in Houston and last year? And since there is no test for HGH, how do we know he doesn’t continue to use it?

Those would be questioned I wanted answered, if I actually cared about steroids.

You can’t be a purist and want to protect the game when there is a sliding standard based on who does steroids.

3. February 28th, 2009 | 11:23 am

~~Is this somehow news?~~

You don’t find it interesting that the guy who said this, then, is now saying that it was such a loosey-goosey time, then, that ballplayers were injecting themselves and not thinking much of it?

Really?

You don’t see the contradiction here?

Or, maybe you don’t want to see it?

4. BellaSakura
      February 28th, 2009 | 11:30 am

I think the question really is why the constant analysis over this guy’s contradictions and no one else’s?

I could question why all of a sudden AFTER getting caught Giambi is Mr. Clean Up Baseball. I find all guys who want a clean game after they cheated, be it A-Rod, Giambi or Andy, quite funny.

February 28th, 2009 | 12:24 pm

——–
      The drug Rodriguez was referring to wasn’t steroids; Hernandez had a coke problem, and cocaine was quite rampant in the 80′s, as evidenced by the Pittsburgh Drug Trials.

6. butchie22
      February 28th, 2009 | 2:31 pm

True dat(sic), Aclod was talking ’bout the cocaine cowboy BUT crap like this can come back from his past and hit him in the rear!The story will get old, but Arod won’t be. He is Lrod(a lighting rod) in getting attention that is a distraction to the team. Yeah, this was unrelated but just imagine what the bloody press corps from NYC and Boston will dig up on him.

7. Evan3457
      February 28th, 2009 | 2:38 pm

Then again, A-Rod was young, dumb and naïve when he said this, right?

============================
      No, he was either duplicitous or in total denial.

Either way, I don’t care much.

8. Don
      February 28th, 2009 | 2:42 pm

A-Fraud.

A-Freud. (copyright 2008)

A-Roid (copyright 2009).

9. February 28th, 2009 | 3:40 pm

BellaSakura – is deflection the best weapon in the A-Rod Apologists tool bag?

“Hey, never mind A-Rod! What about that other guy?!?!”

Well, that other guy didn’t secure a $275 million contract based off a resume that was padded by PEDs. And, that other guy doesn’t have the rap sheet of stupid off-the-field personal moves. And, that other guy doesn’t make bush league plays on the field.

Do we still want to keep playing this “what about the other guy” game?

10. BellaSakura
      February 28th, 2009 | 4:00 pm

Ah the old dumb*ss A-Rod apologist trash.

Newsflash: you can disapprove of more than one thing at the same time. I know that tough for some people to wrap their brains around.

I happen to be one who thinks A-Rod was wrong AND I also think the hypocrisy and double standards are BS too. Its like walking and chewing gum at the same time, apparently only a few of us can do it.

Do we still have to keep playing this “focus on one thing at a time” lame as hell, silly game?

11. JeremyM
      February 28th, 2009 | 4:14 pm

You know, I’m not real thrilled about the A-Rod situation, but do we really need to dig up quotes from 2002 and stir the pot up even more? We already know he has lied about his steroid use, repeatedly, so what is the point of this?

February 28th, 2009 | 7:06 pm

—————
      IOW, if he didn’t do these things, but took PED’s anyway, he gets a buddy pass :D