• Kennedy Took Last Year For Granted, Says He Learned From It

Posted by on February 28th, 2009 · Comments (6)

Via Mark Feinsand -

Ian Kennedy took the mound Friday with one thought in his head: attack the hitters and throw strikes.

“If everybody is healthy, I’ll probably be (at Triple-A) Scranton,” Kennedy said. “But no matter how many people are signed, my whole goal was to come to spring training, be ready to go and compete for a job.”

Apparently, Joe Girardi’s repeated advice to go after hitters instead of nibbling around the plate has finally hit home for Kennedy.

“I learned a lot,” Kennedy said. “When you’re in the middle of it, it’s really frustrating, but you have to grow and learn from it. It was a learning process that I think will make me better as my career goes on.”

Kennedy acknowledged that he took his spot in the rotation for granted last spring, but he vows not to ever do that again as he starts his road back to the big leagues.

Maybe those sessions with Tom House have helped Kennedy too? No question, he was rushed last year. Then again, maybe we should take what Kennedy does this spring with a grain of salt? He fooled me last year.

Therefore, when it comes to Ian Kennedy, the rule on him, now, should be: “Fool me once. Shame on you. Fool me twice. Shame on me.”

Comments on Kennedy Took Last Year For Granted, Says He Learned From It

1. thenewguy
      February 28th, 2009 | 10:31 am

—————-

Eh. I dunno. It’s a completely different situation than last year. If he came into camp this year as cocky as last year, I would agree with you.

I don’t think you can ever say something like “fool me twice, shame on me” with a pitcher, because then every pitcher we ever had would have been discarded! Do I think IPK still sucks? Probably. But with an improved attitude, I certainly don’t think we can jettison him simply because of another bad ST.

2. BellaSakura
      February 28th, 2009 | 11:28 am

Is that Tom House, admitted steroid user? I think we need to test young Ian. I can go on for days with this steroids stuff, LOL.

At times last year Ian looked scared to pitch, IMO. I think all the analysis got in his head and he didn’t trust himself.

3. Don
      February 28th, 2009 | 2:34 pm

Kennedy will have a big season. He had big seasons in 2005 and 2007. He was so-so in 2006 and 2008.

That, plus Girardi was over-the-top in dealing with a rookie. Girardi handled Kennedy poorly.

4. butchie22
      February 28th, 2009 | 2:34 pm

I’m bearish on Kennedy even though he’s young and was rushed up, he needs more than a better attitude …. he needs to pitch well.After last year’s debacle, I’m quite sure most fans don’t want to see this guy again in the majors. The Yankees could probably include him in a trade in the future so he’s not as bad as Igawa san. Then again no one is as bad as Igawa……….

5. Evan3457
      February 28th, 2009 | 2:37 pm

There’s a very good chance that Kennedy will eventually be a competent member of some team’s rotation within 2-3 years.

I was hoping it would be the Yankees, but it probably won’t be.

February 28th, 2009 | 7:08 pm

Is that Tom House, admitted steroid user?
      ——-
      Yes, but he doesn’t count as a steroid user because he didn’t set any records, nor did he sign a big contract ;)