• Yankees Planning & A-Rod’s Future

Posted by on March 5th, 2009 · Comments (28)

Via FOXSports.com :

Alex Rodriguez will attempt to play this season with an injured right hip, hoping to avoid surgery and a four-month rehabilitation period.

A cyst in the hip was drained Wednesday, and the New York Yankees third baseman will skip playing for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic. Still, he has a torn labrum that might need an operation.

“There’s two course of action concerning what he has,” Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Thursday. “There is treat it conservatively, which would imply rest, exercise and treatment. Or you can treat it aggressively, which is by surgery. At this point at in time, we are going to go the conservative route.”

Cashman said that if Rodriguez is able to play, the three-time AL MVP might have offseason surgery to repair the labrum tear. Cashman said Rodriguez’s preference was to try rest and treatment first.

“We’re collectively trying to figure out what is best to do,” Cashman said. “We don’t want to rush into it. We want to digest it.”

Looking for my take on all this? Well, of course you are – why else would you be reading these words? O.K., here goes…

For those out there who are now envisioning a wounded A-Rod leading the Yankees offense this season – like a one-armed Gary Sheffield did back in 2004 – forget it. Rodriguez is way too fragile. Further, while it’s just my opinion, I strongly suspect that Alex was more than ready to pack it in for a good chunk of this season the minute he got the diagnosis on this one.

Think about it. Felix DeJesus, who is part of the Spanish language broadcast team for the New York Yankees, is tight with A-Rod’s half-brother. DeJesus spoke to the half-brother this morning to see what was up with Alex and was told that Rodriguez would need surgery and would be out 10 weeks. This is proof that A-Rod was convinced that he was going under the knife, now – as that’s what he told his family…right away.

I suspect that, once the news got back to the Yankees, Brian Cashman and crew then hatched a plan. This is not like the Red Sox plan for Curt Schilling last season – where the team is trying to avoid paying a guy beaucoup denaro to do nothing all season. More so, I think the Yankees plan is a stall tactic. The Yankees may have told Alex to stick his surgery plans in his pocket for a few days, or more, as they use this move to buy some time, circle their wagons, and figure out what they’re going to do this season – because they know that A-Rod wants to have this surgery. And, he wants to have it now.

It’s perfect timing for Rodriguez to take a powder. His popularity quotient has never been lower. Plus, the Selena Roberts book (on him) comes out in about six weeks. Why not use this situation as an excuse to go hole up in a mountain cave and allow some of the hubbub that he’s created to die down? At some point, A-Rod is going to have to address his medical condition and then do the four-month rehab. Given that he’s got nine years left on his contract, Rodriguez is probably thinking: “Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today.”

In any event, above all, as a Yankees fan, what concerns me most about all this is that time remaining on Alex Rodriguez contract (with New York). While it’s not a given, this injury for A-Rod could be a portent of things to come – meaning a rapid breakdown of his physical prowess despite his relative young age.

We saw this happen with Juan Gonzalez, Dean Palmer, Jose Canseco, Ron Gant, Ken Caminiti, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Jason Giambi and Travis Hafner. These guys just get so big and strong that their bones, joints, ligaments, and tendons cannot win the war against the demands that their muscles command. And, let’s face, A-Rod is a mountain of a man.

One of the saddest sights ever for this baseball fan was watching Vincent Edward (Bo) Jackson, who was once human form in perfection, hobble around a baseball field in 1993 at the young age of thirty. I cannot imagine, as a Yankees fan, how hard it might be to watch Alex Rodriguez have his body continue to fail him for the remainder of his contract with New York. Then again, I might not have to imagine it…as it may be starting to happen right now.

Comments on Yankees Planning & A-Rod’s Future

1. JeremyM
      March 5th, 2009 | 11:11 pm

Give me a break. The boos and everything else won’t even be appreciably worse for him this year- it’s not like the guy was beloved around baseball and now he’s hated. People have hated him for a long time, so you’re telling me he’s going to pull a Pavano because of a little more heat? Steve, put your conspiracy theories to better use on the JFK’s and the Roswells of the world.

2. March 5th, 2009 | 11:17 pm

~~Give me a break. The boos and everything else won’t even be appreciably worse for him this year- it’s not like the guy was beloved around baseball and now he’s hated.~~

Don’t discount the impact of the PED disclosure.

Sure, in the past, many disliked him. But, many liked him too. However, once the Roberts story broke, and then he confessed, and earned the Scarlet “S,” many of those from the “liked him” camp moved over to the “dislike him” camp. Therefore, now, more than ever, he is disliked. The heat has been turned up this year.

March 5th, 2009 | 11:53 pm

———–
      Have you recently seen Bo? He’s huge!

Unless Rodriguez has hip replacement surgery, I wouldn’t worry about it just yet. Anyway, like anything/anyone else, they will eventually be replaced. The Yanks managed to live without Babe Ruth & Mickey Mantle, I’m sure they can manage to live without Alex Rodriguez.

4. handtius
      March 5th, 2009 | 11:54 pm

Fragile? The last time he was on the DL before last year was in 2000. He’s always played through minor injuries, including last year. And this reporter is the same one who said Manny had a done deal a week ago. He is known for dropping stories w/out the facts.

5. March 6th, 2009 | 7:35 am

=================

==================
      What concerns me most is that he’s either going to miss time with the surgery or be playing at less than 100%, and that hurts the Yankees now. This is still his first serious injury, and I see little reason to be concerned that he’s going to turn into Bo Jackson all of a sudden.

6. March 6th, 2009 | 9:09 am

~~Fragile?~~

You don’t think the king of his own personal head games won’t be standing out on the field wondering all the time if he was better off going under the knife and not risking more damage to himself by trying to play with the injury?

7. March 6th, 2009 | 9:10 am

~~This is correct, and the prevailing notion of A-Rod being a pussy is largely unfounded.~~

Yeah, it’s not like he had any issues of dealing with the October pressures of the Yankees last four post-season series.

8. Corey
      March 6th, 2009 | 9:32 am

Steve, can I call you out on somethin lol

=====
      You don’t think the king of his own personal head games
      =====
      if you think this, how could you let Kat O’Brian say that A-Rod has the “remarkable ability to block things out” without a follow up?

9. March 6th, 2009 | 9:50 am

=====================
      This makes him a pussy who won’t play through pain? I fail to see the logic. He might have trouble dealing with expectations, but that doesn’t mean he has problems dealing with injuries or pain.

10. March 6th, 2009 | 9:57 am

Kat’s opinion is different than mine, Corey. And, that’s fine. I can respect everyone’s right to have an opinion. And, I believe that it’s proper to agree to disagree on some things rather than to bang heads, etc.

Having been on the end of it where you express an opinion and then have someone who disagrees with it call you an idiot, etc., just because your opinion is different from theirs, I can tell you that such approach is not the way to go. I don’t gain any respect for someone who feels they must “call me out” because they don’t agree with my opinion and then they start calling me names and/or telling me that I don’t know what I’m talking about, etc. So, why would I put myself in that spot where someone would then lose respect for me?

11. March 6th, 2009 | 9:59 am

~~This makes him a pussy who won’t play through pain?~~

Playing through pain is 99% mental. You need to be able to block it out in your mind. And, you need to be able to block out the fear of hurting yourself more, etc.

If A-Rod cannot block out the fear of failure and/or looking bad during the post-season, why would he be able to mentally block out the pain of playing with a serious injury?

12. handtius
      March 6th, 2009 | 10:14 am

His lack of postseason success is not a place to judge someone on there ability to handle injury. I doubt, once he is on the field, he will be thinking about his injury. He has been being booed and treated unfairly since he signed his huge contract and has not broken down, has not cracked under the pressure of the game (unless taking steroids is cracking under the pressure, which i do not agree with, but is a whole other discussion to be had). He has lived up to his billing, winning 2 MVP. yes, he can be quite annoying, dealing with his off the field crap, but i look at the player on the field and that is all i am interested in. Does he help us win? Even you Steve, can not deny, that we would be better of with Cody Ransom at 3rd, or anyone else who was available the last 2 off-seasons. The drop of from his production, to the next available player is massive. Without a-rod carrying the time in 2007, it would have been two straight seasons without the postseason. That’s a lot of weight to put on one mans shoulders and he did fine with that. Give This team good pitching (which they now have) and let everyone on the team hit 250 in the postseason, and we win. the post season is about pitching, not hitting 500 w/ 10hr. the astros didn’t win when beltran hit 8, last year, the dodgers didn’t win when many was torching the ball. the rays and the phils both won with pitching. the rays didn’t have a hitter hit over 300 last year. lets stop worrying what a-rod is thinking and hope he’s going to be ok and help us get where we want to go.

March 6th, 2009 | 10:18 am

—————
      While I agree with what you say in general, I think Corey used the term “call you out” with his tongue in cheek (basing this on the ‘lol’ after his comment).

March 6th, 2009 | 10:19 am

——————
      Because he was playing with it already?

March 6th, 2009 | 10:20 am

———–
      It appears the Yankees in general has had “issues with dealing with October pressures” whatever that’s supposed to mean.

March 6th, 2009 | 10:21 am

*have had…

17. March 6th, 2009 | 10:23 am

*********************************

Hasn’t he had stiffness or problems with his hip since last May? In essence, he has been playing with his injury since last May, though it has progressed worse (the cyst being filled with more fluid, etc).

18. Corey
      March 6th, 2009 | 10:35 am

======
      lol man you took that to heart eh? Definitly read what Raf wrote, it wasn’t meant to be a shot.

theres a difference between respecting someone’s opinion and asking a follow up question. I don’t think it’s disrespectful to ask someone why they feel that way, especially considering her opinion is contradicting to everything that is said about the guy. I mean..you’re doing an interview right? Yea, I called her an idiot, and that is my opinion based on her opninion. This is the internet if you’re looking for respect here, you’re in the wrong place.

It’s not like I asked you to call her ugly or something (more tongue in cheek if you didn’t know)

19. YankCrank
      March 6th, 2009 | 10:55 am

—–

Haha hey! Way to call ME out!! :)

20. Corey
      March 6th, 2009 | 11:08 am

======

21. March 6th, 2009 | 12:15 pm

——————
      Because he was playing with it already?
      ================
      Yeah, what Raf said.

A-Rod’s been extremely durable over the years. If you take a look at the games played, it’s pretty clear he has almost certainly played through his fair share of pain. So it’s not fair to start talking about him like he’s Carl Pavano all of a sudden.

22. March 6th, 2009 | 12:34 pm

~~In the same light, you also call Cashman an idiot for his opinions in this exact manner~~

Corey – there’s a difference here.

If I were talking to Cashman, or interviewing him, or trading e-mails with him, or conversing with him in the comments section of this or some other blog, etc., and I called him an idiot for having an opinion that would be rude and I could understand him not having respect for me (if I were to do that).

However, that said, it’s different when it’s not an exchange. I’m sharing my opinion via my platform – here. And, if my opinion is that he’s an idiot, that’s it.

My job here is to share my opinion. Make sense?

23. March 6th, 2009 | 12:38 pm

~~If you take a look at the games played, it’s pretty clear he has almost certainly played through his fair share of pain. So it’s not fair to start talking about him like he’s Carl Pavano all of a sudden.~~

Big difference playing with some aches and pains and playing with a tear in your labrum that’s so bad it’s causing cysts to form…

24. Corey
      March 6th, 2009 | 12:51 pm

I think you’re missing my point, I wasn’t asking you to call her an idiot in the slightest, i was saying you should have asked her the follow up that we would all (i’d assume that includes you) like to hear, and that is why she feels like that. I feel like you missed an oppurtunity.

And we can apply the same logic that you used with Cashman to me calling O’Brian an idiot. The comments are in a way my forum to share my opinion. I did not in any way converse with her. If a reader leaves a comment, it is their job to share an opinion also no? At least in an ideal situation?

25. March 6th, 2009 | 12:54 pm

===============
      Well, gee, when you put it like that, it sounds bad enough that not wanting to play through it might not, in fact, be indicative of fragility at all.

26. BJ
      March 6th, 2009 | 2:39 pm

I wonder what will be said of Arod if he chose to have it fixed instead of trying to play through it. How long would it take you Steve to call him Crod as in Carl?

27. March 6th, 2009 | 7:23 pm

[...] night, I wrote: …I think the Yankees plan is a stall tactic. The Yankees may have told Alex to stick his [...]

28. June 24th, 2009 | 12:36 pm

[...] Caminiti, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Jason Giambi and Travis Hafner” Batman! Do we dare even ask the question? Well, since it’s been asked, what do you think? Will A-Rod be a star [...]