• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 3/24/09

Posted by on March 24th, 2009 · Comments (24)

Click here for more information about this entry.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 3/24/09

1. MJ
      March 24th, 2009 | 10:25 am

Did anyone else see this from today’s NYTimes?

Jeter was promised that he’d be the starting SS?

By the way, for all the blog posts about how sensitive Cashman is, this quote makes Jeter look pretty sensitive too:

““They think they have a mathematical equation that figures everything out,” Jeter has said. “Like every single person is out there with the same runner and the same pitcher, and the ball is hit in the same exact place. It seems like once somebody says one thing about you, people tend to run with it and we never hear the end of it.””

All I can do is pray that someone in the franchise grows a pair and stands up to Jeter in 2010. He needs to be taken down a notch.

2. Corey
      March 24th, 2009 | 10:39 am

of course he was promised come on dude? You think Jeter is going to go be the face of US baseball and NOT start at his position? They want Jeter to be the face of not only US baseball but i think of the mlb as a whole.

3. MJ
      March 24th, 2009 | 10:43 am

Corey wrote:

No, I know and I understand. I just think it’s a bad idea to put promises ahead of the best interests of the team. If the US is really in the WBC to win it, such promises are a bad idea.

FWIW, I’m not trying to pick on Jeter with my comment on promises, I’m speaking generally. I understand the WBC has certain commercial interests it must protect and therefore Jeter has to be the marketing face of the effort. It is what it is. But if I were Jimmy Rollins, I’d be like “yep, any doubt who the best SS in baseball is?”

4. Corey
      March 24th, 2009 | 10:55 am

If the US is really in the WBC to win it, such promises are a bad idea.
      =——-
      that’s the thing, they aren’t.

the whole deal is to get these countries from the far east to get into baseball

5. MJ
      March 24th, 2009 | 11:04 am

that’s the thing, they aren’t.

the whole deal is to get these countries from the far east to get into baseball
      ——–
      I know that too. Honestly, the WBC is a colossal waste of time. I watched a little of it but I really, truly don’t care about it. They could do away with it and it would be the same to me.

6. Corey
      March 24th, 2009 | 11:07 am

what i think they should do instead of the WBC is take all the champions from each countries league and put them in a tournament at the end of the year to get a real world series.

7. Corey
      March 24th, 2009 | 11:08 am

i could get into a Yomuri Giants vs. New York Yankees real world series a LOT more than i could get into US vs Japan

8. MJ
      March 24th, 2009 | 11:09 am

Corey wrote:

Sort of like the UEFA Champions League in soccer. Not a bad idea.

9. MJ
      March 24th, 2009 | 11:10 am

Corey wrote:

In theory, I could too. But it would still take the Yanks being in it for me to pay attention.

I wouldn’t give a crap about watching the Japanese champs playing the Astros, for example.

10. Corey
      March 24th, 2009 | 11:13 am

would you give a crap if it was an astros-non al east team world series in its present state?

11. MJ
      March 24th, 2009 | 11:18 am

Corey wrote:

Nope. I don’t watch baseball once the Yanks are out of it. I’ll catch an inning here or there if I’m flipping channels but I haven’t watched a full WS game from start to finish since 2003.

12. Corey
      March 24th, 2009 | 11:23 am

so yea, doesn’t mean they shouldn’t play the WS right? I dunno I think I would watch a real world series if it were to happen and be done right. That’s the time of year that you need to horde the last remaining innings of baseball before the long winter

13. MJ
      March 24th, 2009 | 11:34 am

so yea, doesn’t mean they shouldn’t play the WS right?
      ——-
      You play the whole MLB season for the WS so of course they should play it, even if one person in NY doesn’t care. The WBC is a commercial venture that does nothing to further the MLB season. Apples and oranges.

14. Corey
      March 24th, 2009 | 11:37 am

right but what im suggesting shouldn’t be too different for playng for a WS right? I’m suggesting something like renaming the current WS as the mlb championship and having a real world series…then the goal of the season would be 2 pronged, win the mlb title and win the ws. We both agree that the WBC sucks

15. MJ
      March 24th, 2009 | 11:42 am

Corey wrote:

OK, now I get what you’re saying. In theory, I definitely like the idea. The logistics might be a bit hairy but it could definitely be figured out.

Now that Selig has invested so heavily in the WBC, I doubt he’d abandon ship to put your idea into effect. But that’s mainly because Selig is a giant teabag, not because your idea is a bad one. If only Selig had a brain…

16. Corey
      March 24th, 2009 | 12:02 pm

===
      literal lol

17. March 24th, 2009 | 12:25 pm

Sorry to go way off subject, but, Steve, I just wanted to let you know that I just responded to your email message regarding your prior message. I know that I had responded to the prior message, but in case it’s a spam filter on your end, then my response from now would have ended up suffering the same fate as the prior message.

18. stevekon
      March 24th, 2009 | 2:00 pm

About the WBC, I think it would be great to have a true “World Series” with the winner of the MLB world series moving on to a global tournament…but honestly, there’s no way that would ever work. Think about how drained a team is after winning the world series. Then asking them to go play another tournament? I just don’t see that ever happening, though in theory I think it would be ideal.

On that note, I think the WBC should stay on the same schedule it is now, but no player on contract with a proffesional team in any country should be allowed to play. That would leave the roster made up of amateur and college players (and retired guys, I guess) much like the olympics used to be. I think that would be more compelling from a fan standpoint, but also probably not as profitable for the suits.

19. butchie22
      March 24th, 2009 | 2:47 pm

I agree with MJ’s comment regard being taken down a notch……… the guy deserves to be taken down a notch,no doubt. He needs to take on for the team so to speak……he can’t look out for NO 1 and his legacy anymore. ESPECIALLY, if the Yanks don’t make the playoffs this year. They don’t need to keep St Derek happy anymore. They will have been 9 year olds that haven’t seen a Yankee championship in their lifetime! Can you imagine if Tampa or even Boston wins the Big One this season. St Derek can talk about 96-2000 BUT that was when the cursed team was the Red Sox not the Yankees……

20. YankCrank
      March 24th, 2009 | 3:32 pm

—–

Not being in a World Series in five years doesn’t mean we’re cursed. Go talk to some Texas Rangers fans and see how cursed you feel haha.

21. Corey
      March 24th, 2009 | 3:42 pm

=====
      so extra games in the beginning of the season don’t make players tired. I at least watched the WBC for maybe an hour (for all the games total). If it was only amatuer players, it wouldn’t even get that.

22. March 24th, 2009 | 4:23 pm

Here’s the deal with the WBC for me.
      The goal is to get more global baseball fans, right? But, where?

Is the WBC going to make baseball more popular in Japan, Korea, the D.R., Venezuela, Cuba, or P.R.? No. Baseball is already hugely popular there. How about more popular in Canada? Probably not.

Is the WBC going to make baseball more popular in Italy and China? How? By having those countries get their brains beat in during the WBC?

If baseball really wants to get global, then go to the other countries, like India, Africa, etc., and do clinics and barnstorming. Just like baseball did with Japan a century ago. It worked there. And, it seems to make more sense than what they’re doing with the WBC.

If anything, the WBC seems like an excuse to make money selling the games to ESPN and commercials on the MLB Network – more so than trying to get the game global.

That’s my two cents.

23. Corey
      March 24th, 2009 | 4:40 pm

i’d imagine that their aim is exactly that. They want China and Italy and Austrailia and South Africa (etc) to get their brains beat in so that their countries feel like its a hit on their nation and they they use their own resources to field a better team, that way mlb doesn’t have to. Using nationalism to get what you want has worked throughout history

24. Corey
      March 24th, 2009 | 4:41 pm

not that mlb would fork over cash to italy and china to field a better a team, i meant that mlb doesnt have to spend the money to make clinics if those countries do so on their own