• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 3/25/09

Posted by on March 25th, 2009 · Comments (25)

Click here for more information about this entry.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 3/25/09

1. March 25th, 2009 | 9:47 am

Some Yankees thoughts to share today.

Heard former-Yanks-minors-skipper Trey Hillman interviewed on X-M this AM. Wow. Just listening to the guy you can tell that he’s an excellent leader and understand why so many in the game respect him. How did the Yankees ever let him go? He actually has a thing each AM in ST in the K.C. clubhouse called “Story Time” where the players share stories, cracking each other up, bonding, etc. What a great idea.

Saw Paul O’Neill on the YES pre-game last night. That dude is still in SICK shape. Amazing considering he has been retired now for SEVEN years. Someday, I want to be in the condition that he’s in now.

Also on the YES coverage last night – I noticed during the in-game interview with Girardi that Joe was wearing his “road” on-the-field jacket (with “New York” across the chest) even ‘tho it was a “home” game down in Tampa. What’s up with that?

2. MJ
      March 25th, 2009 | 10:18 am

How did the Yankees ever let him go?
      ——–
      When he left the team in 2001 to join the Rangers as head of their player development program, there really wasn’t much in the way of a choice for the Yanks. Torre was entrenched in his job for what would be another six years.

Good people leave organizations all the time for career advancement. Plus, you never know, maybe Hillman is the next Yankees manager after Girardi.

3. butchie22
      March 25th, 2009 | 10:52 am

Trey Hillman was considered for the Yankees job after Tory wasn’t he? I think KC will be better this year and they have a great guy at the helm. Hillman after Girardi? I think they might go for Pena instead of Hillman, but that’s just me…..
      And the New York jacket? Who knows what General Joe was doing…he liked the jacket? Maybe one of the dirtbaggish/Johnnycakes Red Pox players stole his other jacket!

4. MJ
      March 25th, 2009 | 11:06 am

Trey Hillman was considered for the Yankees job after Tory wasn’t he?
      ——–
      His name was in the paper as a candidate but the Yanks didn’t fire Torre until after Hillman was already into his interview process with the Royals. If I’m not mistaken, he may have even been hired before the Yanks interviewed Girardi/Mattingly/Pena for the vacant job.

5. stevekon
      March 25th, 2009 | 11:28 am

Going totally off-topic here, sorry. I just picked up a pair of single game tickets yesterday for the 4/21 Tuesday night game against the A’s. According to the pricing chart, the grandstand seats I chose should have been $23 or $30 each. Much to my surprise they came up as $5 each! I spent a total of $20.25 on two tickets, after all taxes/fees.

I was pleasantly surprised…but I’m kind of worried. Are they going to make go sit in the old Yankee stadium or something?!

Just wondering if anyone else noticed anything weird if/when they bought any tickets for this season.

6. March 25th, 2009 | 11:40 am

stevekon wrote:

Wow. If I’m reading this right:

There are no $5 seats. Not sure what you got there?

7. Corey
      March 25th, 2009 | 11:45 am

could be an error in their database, things like that happen all the time. the real question is whether anyone catches it or not, good luck!

8. stevekon
      March 25th, 2009 | 11:55 am

Yeah I went over all of the details a hundred times because I thought I did something wrong…everything looks legit. I guess, once I get the actual tickets, it’s not really my problem anymore. Ticketmaster charged me the wrong price so if Yankee Stadium looks to rectify, it’ll be TM who makes up the difference(?)

Of course I’ll still spend $17 on a hot dog once I get to my nose-bleed-half-way-down-the-left-field-line seats…and then who’s the sucker?

9. stevekon
      March 25th, 2009 | 12:05 pm

Just found this, which sort of solves the mystery:

Not much of an explanation, but at least partial proof that this wasn’t a fluke. I wish I had known about this beforehand – I would have bought more than 2 tix.

10. March 25th, 2009 | 12:32 pm

An interesting read today:

11. butchie22
      March 25th, 2009 | 12:49 pm

Bryant is from Massholia, what do you expect from him?Let’s see if Teix becomes a Reggie (World Champion) or a Giambi or a Moose…being ringless that is! Bryant had to mention Arod’s presence in NYC being 6 seasons…that long! It seems like yesterday that the Yanks were champions and now, the Giambi-Arod-Godzilla winless era! Let’s hope that Mark T signals a better future for the Yanks ,if anything…….

12. Pat F
      March 25th, 2009 | 12:58 pm

steve – didn’t want this to get lost in the post below. wanted to thank you for the great info from fellow bloggers on swisher, really a great idea. also, wondering if you could (if it’s not planned already) potentially reach out to fellow bloggers about nady? we’ve all seen more of nady because he was with the mets and then us for a few months, but it still might be interesting to compare/contrast him to swisher based upon the thoughts of someone who watched him play everyday for an extended period.

13. YankCrank
      March 25th, 2009 | 1:01 pm

—–

From what i’ve read on MetsBlog, they seem to refer to Nady as “the one who got away,” in a very ex-girlfriend manner. It may have a lot to do with their lack of presence in the corner outfield spots since they dealt him in 2006 and who they dealt him for, which I believe was a reliever.

14. March 25th, 2009 | 1:14 pm

Pat F wrote:

Thanks. FWIW, I saw enough of Nady last season – that I don’t need an outside opinion. Here’s my take on him:

15. butchie22
      March 25th, 2009 | 1:30 pm

@ YankCrank:
      YankCrank wrote:

—–

Crank not only did they get Hernandez( a reliever) in the Nady trade but Los Metropolitanos also got the infamous Oliver Perez in that trade as well. Remember that Perez was a throw-in , not the main piece in that trade……Yeah, a lot of Metropolitanos fans are still not over Nady, BUT hey them’s the breaks.

16. MJ
      March 25th, 2009 | 1:59 pm

Actually, I think the Mets-Pirates trade shouldn’t be viewed as wistfully by Mets fans. Nady is a career league-average corner outfielder. Ryan Church appears to be a reasonable replacement for Nady out in RF for the Mets. Getting Oliver Perez may have been an afterthought by the Mets but he’s become a big part of their team. Just think of how much worse the Mets would be if their rotation didn’t include Perez. I certainly don’t think Perez is the second coming or anything like that but he’s young, he’s a lefty, and he’s a strikeout machine. If you told me today that the Yanks could trade Nady for a young lefty pitcher that could give us 180 league-average innings, I’d sign up for it in a heartbeat!

17. YankCrank
      March 25th, 2009 | 2:10 pm

butchie, you’re right…i completely forgot Oliver Perez was part of that deal. Good pickup.

18. March 25th, 2009 | 2:51 pm

Hey, anyone going to the workout at Yankee Stadium on April 2 at 1:30 p.m.? I know that season ticket holders got tickets to get in…

19. Pat F
      March 25th, 2009 | 2:54 pm

steve – i understand and appreciate that you may have seen enough of him not to need an outside opinion, but i was thinking more that we could get one just to compare what other fans think of both players. i’ve seen enough of both of these players to know what my own opinion of them is, but i’m still interested in what fans of other teams who have seen them play far more than i have think. if there is anyway you could hook this up, if for nothing more than comparitive purposes, it would be much appreciated (and i think interesting in that both sides will be presented).

crank – all of my mets fans buddies echoed that sentiment when we traded for him last year. i love your “one who got away” tagline, very well put. this got me really juiced up for the guy. sadly, we didn’t see much of that in the two months he gave us (.268/.320(!)/.474)!

20. March 25th, 2009 | 3:02 pm

Nady’s Mets #’s from 2006 and his Yankees #’s from 2008 are nearly dead on, the same. Not sure what asking a Mets fan would provide – above what we saw as Yankees fans?

21. March 25th, 2009 | 3:15 pm

FWIW, I did a quick google search of Pirates blogs to see if any had feedback on Nady when he was traded – and came up with nada. In fact, there are very few Pirates blogs that were around, and updated regularly, back then – from what I found.

22. Corey
      March 25th, 2009 | 3:50 pm

lol those new pirate blogs that have been made since must be pretty depressing…

====
      \f you told me today that the Yanks could trade Nady for a young lefty pitcher that could give us 180 league-average innings, I’d sign up for it in a heartbeat!
      ======
      lol thats not fair, you’d trade him for a bag of balls :P

23. YankCrank
      March 25th, 2009 | 3:57 pm

======
      lol thats not fair, you’d trade him for a bag of balls
      —-

Even if he didn’t, I would do it too. Kyle Lohse is very league average and he scored a $41 million deal as a free agent and makes $10.25 million a year. That’s how ridiculous the free agent market has become for starting pitchers. If I could acquire a league average pitcher by trading away a league average corner outfielder, and not have to overpay for one as a free agent, i’d do it in a second.

24. MJ
      March 25th, 2009 | 3:59 pm

lol thats not fair, you’d trade him for a bag of balls
      ——-
      LOL!

Seriously though, I don’t know how much Nady can fetch in a trade at this point. As it is, the Yanks bought high on him. A league average corner outfielder who is a Boras client and entering his walk year? That’s not the ugliest girl in the class but it ain’t Jessica Alba either.

25. Pat F
      March 25th, 2009 | 5:57 pm

thanks for checking anyway, steve. we know swisher’s numbers too, so i was thinking it might be interesting in the same way swisher’s was, hearing what other fans think about their total package (not just production). but i guess you are right, we did have nady for two months, got a feel for him as a good citizen etc., so it probably wouldn’t be as informative. thanks again for looking into it anyway.