• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 3/26/09

Posted by on March 26th, 2009 · Comments (20)

Click here for more information about this entry.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 3/26/09

1. clintfsu813
      March 26th, 2009 | 9:28 am

Good News from RiverAve:
      Bob Sheppard, the fabled voice of the Yankees, missed the end of the 2007 and all of 2008 with a serious health scare. He contracted a bad case of pneumonia and saw his weight drop to 105 pounds. But Sheppard, 97, made a great recovery, and he recently told the FAN that he finally has his doctor’s permission to begin announcing Yankee games again. He’ll be in the booth come the April 3 exhibition against the Cubs.

Even if its only for the first few games, what a treat for you guys who get to be there. The only thing I get to look forward to is those bums at the Trop and their cowbells!

2. butchie22
      March 26th, 2009 | 10:14 am

It’s great to see Shepp has the desire to come back and do the games again. I remember his voice from the early 70s and that provides some sort of continuity for us old fart Yankee fans. Clint, the Tampa kids are still a pretty good team and yes, the Trop is butt ugly. To me the Trop is the inverse of Wrigley Field(IMO the most beautiful park)…it makes the Metrodome look like an 8th wonder of the world! That new stadium they have planned is not bad and anything is better than the St Petersburg Sunrays’ Eyesore Dome……

3. clintfsu813
      March 26th, 2009 | 10:19 am

I dont have a huge problem with the Trop..seeing as how its the only one I get to every year. Mostly its the cowbells, lol. Thankfully I did get to The Bronx in 2007 and have a vivid memory to get me through the Rays games.

4. March 26th, 2009 | 10:28 am

Pete Abe says General Joe is thinking of batting Jeter 1 and Damon 2.

Thoughts on this?

5. Corey
      March 26th, 2009 | 10:31 am

sounds like general joe has been reading RAB

6. Corey
      March 26th, 2009 | 10:32 am

if Jeter proves capable in the lead-off hole, and Cano has a good season i think that makes damon expendable in the offseason (which i’m for as I don’t like damon) as Cano could then move to the 2 hole. a lotta if’s there tho

7. YankCrank
      March 26th, 2009 | 10:50 am

—–

He will be gone anyway. His agent is Boras so unless we feel we want to give him a 2, 3 or even 4 year deal, he’ll be gone. I only see Damon valuable at a 1 year deal but that won’t happen.

8. antone
      March 26th, 2009 | 11:02 am

———————–
      Agreed.

I thought Tampa has a new stadium? or is that next year?

9. MJ
      March 26th, 2009 | 11:06 am

Corey wrote:

sounds like general joe has been reading RAB

Seriously! Although if he were REALLY reading, he’d know that Swisher belongs in RF on opening day.

10. Corey
      March 26th, 2009 | 11:37 am

Agreed.

I thought Tampa has a new stadium? or is that next year?
      ====
      i don’t think it was approved yet (the one you’re thinking of) i know the marlins just got approved for a new stadium in miami, and once its built they will be renamed the miami marlins (yuck)

11. antone
      March 26th, 2009 | 11:53 am

———————————-
      Looked it up..it says 2012..don’t know why I thought it was this year.

12. butchie22
      March 26th, 2009 | 11:55 am

Corey wrote:

Agreed.
      I thought Tampa has a new stadium? or is that next year?
      ====

Miami Marlins, yuck? They were planning this name change for at least half a decade now. The fact that they approved a new Stadium in Havana North(Miami) was not very bright. One of the two Florida teams should look to go to San Antonio, Portland North Carolina or Vancouver….anywhere but South Florida! The baseball experiment is not a great success in Florida attendancewise, but the Marlins have two rings and Tampa was terrible but will be good for the new few years….

13. butchie22
      March 26th, 2009 | 12:01 pm

MJ wrote:

Corey wrote:
      sounds like general joe has been reading RAB

General Joe is smarter than that! Good call on Swish, JG…you know better than the eggheads out there. BUT for the Swisherites or the Swishers(sounds very gay BTW), he will get his share of playing time. It’s not like he will be rotting on the bench. Despite my misgivings about him,he will part a part on this team as Gardner and Melky are not all stars by any means. And if anybody in the outfield gets injured or Teix is out as well, Swisher will swish on down and get the job!

14. Pat F
      March 26th, 2009 | 12:30 pm

jeter batting leadoff all year would be 159ish less opportunities for him to kill the first inning by bouncing into a DBP! very smart move here!

15. YankCrank
      March 26th, 2009 | 1:17 pm

—-

Butchie, still waiting on some actual, intelligent reasoning from you on how Nady is the choice over Swish. All you’ve given is “he hit .219 last year,” “he couldn’t cut it in Chicago,” and “in my opinion he’s a super-sub on this team.” I know that’s what you think but it’s all personal, biased feelings and in no way measurable gains.

It’s a game of statistics, please show some actual proof on why Nady is better. I feel like if you call us “eggheads,” we deserve an intelligent explanation.

16. YankCrank
      March 26th, 2009 | 1:30 pm

Just to be clear butch, i’m not trying to be a dick. All i’m saying is Steve prefers Nady out there and has given us hard data to debate showing why he prefers Nady. In other words, he’s made a legitimate argument that we could disuss. You’ve just spouted personal opinions with nothing to back them up. Please, explain further like Steve did.

17. antone
      March 26th, 2009 | 1:36 pm

I’d prefer Swisher too if we knew for sure he wasn’t going to hit .219 again, because if he does then my guess is that the K’s go up and the walks go down too. If it was just one bad year than fine, but I don’t think we can say that for sure yet.

18. Corey
      March 26th, 2009 | 1:43 pm

Looked it up..it says 2012..don’t know why I thought it was this year.
      ——
      i couldn’t find anywhere that Tampa got its stadium approved…I’ve found that 2012 was the date in the proposal but nothing that says the proposal was passed…

========

———

i’m not sure what you’re saying here…do you actually like the way Miami Marlins sounds?

19. March 26th, 2009 | 2:03 pm

Right now the Rays Stadium Deal is on hold, and with the economy in the shape it is in I do not see it happening, Also even though the Marlins Stadium is reported to be approved, I do not see that happening either.
      If the Marlins do move into a new park they will be called the Miami Marlins, That was the name of the Minor league Team Many Years ago.

20. March 26th, 2009 | 2:06 pm

This just in from Neil Best and his Watchdog Blog from Newsday.com

Bob Sheppard highly unlikely to be at stadium April 16

Yankees public address announcer Bob Sheppard almost certainly will not be at the home opener April 16, according to his wife, Mary.

But he hopes to return sometime in 2009.

Sheppard missed all of last season recovering from a bronchial infection.

I wrote a story about this here.

Mary Sheppard said Bob has not had an opportunity to see the new stadium yet but hopes to soon.