• Petty Yanks Shoot Themselves In Foot

Posted by on March 28th, 2009 · Comments (6)

Via the Post with a hat tip to “It Is High…” –

The Yankees are snubbing one of their biggest fans. Novelist Jane Heller’s latest, “Confessions of a She-Fan,” chronicles the time she spent traveling the country with her husband, watching the transformation of the 2007 squad from the doldrums to a wild-card playoff berth. The book earned praise from play-by-play man John Sterling, but the Yankees wouldn’t run an ad for it in their Opening Day program because they deemed it too “controversial.” “It’s sad to have the Yankees so mad at a fan who writes about how much she loves her team,” Heller said. A rep for the Yankees declined to comment.

Now, I’ve read Heller’s book. Believe me, it’s a good read – and I enjoyed it. But, if the Yankees are painting her work to be in the class of Ball Four, Joe You Coulda Made Us Proud, The Bronx Zoo and/or Perfect I’m Not, then I think we’ve discovered what has happened to the sod from the last Yankee Stadium. The gang in the Yanks’ front office has rolled it up and started smoking it…

Really, I know what this is all about. In the book, Jane Heller shares that people in the Yankees front-office gave her a major league stiff arm during the season in which she was following the team – with Jason Zillo and Jean Afterman leading the charge. (Heller also shared that Kim Jones blew her off – but, I doubt that the YES Princess of Tight Sweaters has the pull to keep someone from running an ad in the Opening Day program.)

Could Zillo and Afterman be this thin-skinned? Hey, we know how thin-skinned Brian Cashman is…should it be a shock that his underlings are the same way?

The really stupid thing here: With this action, the Yankees have done exactly what they didn’t want to do: Give Jane Heller’s book some publicity. And, in fact, they saved Team Heller the dime of having to buy the ad now…smart, huh?

Score this one: Heller 1, Yankees 0.

Comments on Petty Yanks Shoot Themselves In Foot

1. thenewguy
      March 28th, 2009 | 9:46 am

As far as I’m concerned, the Yanks are particularly keen (overly sensitive?) to ANYTHING that is put out about them. If you had told me nothing about Heller’s book and simply asked me, “Do you think the Yankees ran an ad for a bloggers book in the Opening Day program?” I probably would have told you know, expecting the Yanks to have an extreme gag order on everything they can, even if its not terribly negative.

So, I think it may partly be sensitivity by individuals within the organization, but I really think it is simply part of the Yankee modus operandi.

2. MJ
      March 28th, 2009 | 10:55 am

I agree, I think the Yanks simply don’t like anyone else talking about them and want to control the message as much as possible. This has nothing to do with Brian Cashman…although I’m not surprised you tried to nail Cashman on yet another thing anyway.

3. March 28th, 2009 | 11:14 am

This is why I could never survive being a blogger for the Yankees and/or the YES Network. I would hate to be in a position where, every time I write something, I have to consider “Gee, is this going to possibly upset someone in the organization and therefore get me in hot water?” I would hate to have to tip-toe around things that may not sit well with some thin-skinned member of the organization. I give Steve Goldman credit for surviving at YES as long as he has…he’s very skilled at knowing when to go left or right, etc., I suppose.

4. lisaswan
      March 28th, 2009 | 11:30 am

Jane was nice enough to put my name in her ad (I had a blurb for the book.)

And Steve, I (sadly) think you’re right when it comes to the front office. You’d think they’d have better things to do. Wonder if they have interns trolling the blogs every day, compiling negative comments about the front office.

5. butchie22
      March 28th, 2009 | 1:03 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Well put Steve. You are simply put too much of an independent voice to be an authorized voice so to speak. Reading your musings are the exact opposite of what the Yankees want to be said the majority of the times. It is not alarming that an organization would be so protective of their brand in such an open and aggressive media market. There is a certain amount of spin that needs to be done even though this is arguably the most savage media market in the country. Cash Man is very thin skinned and he should worry less about what’s said on WFAN and ESPN 1050 and the rest of the media and concentrate on the team. That being said, he isn’t the only culprit at hand when it comes to controlling the Yankee brand . President Bluster among others is in that “cabal” as well………

6. March 28th, 2009 | 3:56 pm

While I think it was stupid of them and unfortunate, I would hardly say they shot themselves in the foot. By the headline I thought you were going to talk about something entirely different.