• April 13th @ The Rays

Posted by on April 13th, 2009 · Comments (11)

I’d never thought that I would say this, but, here goes: The Yankees could have used nine Nick Swishers tonight. Wow.

Terrible evening for Worm Killer Wang. How bad? Dig this: Since 1954, it’s only the 4th time in Yankees regular-season history that their starting pitcher has gone one inning or less while allowing eight earned runs or more. The others to do it before Wang today:

Orlando Hernandez: June 18, 2000
    Andy Pettitte: April 30, 1996
    Andy Hawkins: September 26, 1989

Wanger looked like Andy Hawkins out there today, didn’t he?

And, the boys in the YES booth – Flash, Kay and Conie – noted that Chien-Ming’s power sinker is MIA. So, the bad trend continues

Oh, well, at least the Mets lost their first game in Citi Field…having to watch Duaner Sanchez and Heath Bell close it out for the Padres. Yeah, on nights like this in Yankeeland, that’s what it has come down to…in terms of trying to find something comforting…discouraging, huh?

Comments on April 13th @ The Rays

1. sanair
      April 14th, 2009 | 12:20 am

Swisher is growing on me more with each outing.

2. MJ
      April 14th, 2009 | 8:42 am

sanair wrote:

Swisher is growing on me more with each outing.

I love Swisher. Watching Nady’s lack of range in RF makes me wonder if Girardi will put Swisher in the lineup once Teixeira is back at 1B.

3. butchie22
      April 14th, 2009 | 8:44 am

The Yankees need a bridge to Mo? They have an in house solution (the 8th inning replacement for Joba AND heir apparent to Mo)…Nick Swisher! Who knew that Swish would have the best pitching line of the night. I haveta say that Nick is a colorful character that’s for sure. The fact that he took this negative situation and turned it into a positive is something else. This team needed a goofy/always on type of player like him. I don’t like the corporate Yankees Inc that has developed lately, I’m more of a Bronx Zoo guy myself….

4. clintfsu813
      April 14th, 2009 | 8:50 am

Andy in ’96, Duque in ’00, Wang in ’09..hopefully theres a trend there!

5. bfriley76
      April 14th, 2009 | 8:58 am

+++++++
      Another reason to love Nick Swisher, besides the fact that he’s killing the ball, is that he seems to really be having fun out there. He even made the end of an incredibly painful game to watch a little enjoyable. A team with 9 Swishers could win 60 games and I would still be watching religously.

BTW – Way to suck the fun out of the game Michael Kay. Complaining that Swisher was delaying the game by asking to keep his Strikeout ball. It really baffles me sometimes how a guy who just doesn’t seem to get it has risen so high in the sports media world.

6. butchie22
      April 14th, 2009 | 9:01 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

Andy in ‘96, Duque in ‘00, Wang in ‘09..hopefully theres a trend there!

Umm, Wanger worries me much more than AP back in 96. This is a guy who had 2 19 game seasons and then looked like a little kid in little league who just lost his 5 consecutive game on the bench! If there is nothing wrong with him physically then I hope it’s not mental(confidence or personal problems). I don’t want the Wanger to end up like Dontrelle.

Swisher is not displacing Nady BTW. As I had said over a week ago, Gym Teacher Joe will try to get Swish in as much as he can. Nady’s range? Swish had at least two hiccups in the field already , so I would lay off someone else’s range, etc so on!

7. YankCrank
      April 14th, 2009 | 9:06 am

Hey, terrible night of baseball but all I can say is this: I have never enjoyed a half inning of baseball more than the half inning Swish was pitching. When he struck Kapler out I started laughing my ass off…so funny.

As for MJ’s comment, looking at Nady’s inability to even get on base (.308 OBP) makes me think the same thing. I wouldn’t be surprised if something changed.

8. YankCrank
      April 14th, 2009 | 9:07 am

Swisher is not displacing Nady BTW.
      —-

You may be right butchie, but that doesn’t mean it’s the right move.

9. YankCrank
      April 14th, 2009 | 9:46 am

Just to add to the fun of the situation, this is what Swish tweeted this morning:

“My arm is killing me! hahahahaha”

10. Evan3457
      April 14th, 2009 | 11:29 am

I have no idea what Butchie means, exactly, but Swisher is a better right fielder than Nady, in spite of misreading a ball in the sun and wind in Kansas City.

11. clintfsu813
      April 14th, 2009 | 12:21 pm

Got the same tweet Crank..nearly choked on my OJ, lol. I hope he tweets all year!