• April 14th @ The Rays

Posted by on April 14th, 2009 · Comments (8)

Great game – if you’re the Yankees and/or a fan of their team.

It was a real nail biter for eight. And, then, the two guys with “no pop” – Brett Gardner and Derek Jeter – provided two-out extra base hits in the 9th inning to break it open. And, Jeter, who always hits the ball on the ground, left the yard with his big hit.

Give credit to A.J. Burnett – he said, before the game, that he was looking to go deep into this game and he did it. And, he almost bagged himself a Yankees Classic in the process – not allowing a hit through six.

Hey, how cool was the 4th inning in this one? Matt Garza goes up and in on Nick Swisher – and then Swisher takes Garza “Jack Black…Back…Back…Back! (in response). And, for the icing on the cake, in the bottom of the frame, A.J. Burnett gives Evan Longoria a pay-back “bow tie” as well (before punching him out). Ladies and Gents, that’s country hardball. Gotta love it.

So, tomorrow afternoon, root for the Yankees to take the rubber game in this match. And, while you’re at it, root for the Cleveland Indians too. We don’t want the Tribe coming into Yankee Stadium with a 1-8 record and having lost three in a row. If they do, the law of averages might swing in their favor and ruin the Yanks home opener.

And, cross your fingers for the X-man.

Comments on April 14th @ The Rays

1. Tresh Fan
      April 15th, 2009 | 12:20 am

Great game. And a real pleasure to see someone else’s bullpen “implode.”

2. Evan3457
      April 15th, 2009 | 12:40 am

And, cross your fingers for the X-man.
      ==========================
      And that, among several other reasons, is why there was never any need to trade either Nady or Swisher, unless you anticipated Xavier blowing his elbow out (if he has blown his elbow out) and wanted to dump him before his value plummets.

And if you anticipated that, could you please recommend some stocks for me.

3. MJ
      April 15th, 2009 | 8:44 am

So far in this young season the team has had two 2-game losing streaks and, in both cases, AJ Burnett has been the stopper. Last night he was just filthy and had his fastball and his good curveball working. It was a pleasure to watch him work.

I have to say, I wasn’t a very big fan of Garza’s before last night. I remember him from Minnesota as a guy with spotty control and I thought the Rays would regret trading Delmon Young away for a #3/#4 type pitcher. Watching Garza last night, I was very impressed with his stuff. As much hype as Kazmir gets, I think Garza’s looking like the better pitcher.

4. MJ
      April 15th, 2009 | 8:50 am

And, cross your fingers for the X-man.
      ——–
      Definitely. I hope it’s nothing too serious because the Yanks definitely need the depth.

5. YankCrank
      April 15th, 2009 | 8:56 am

And, cross your fingers for the X-man.
      —–

Shit. That’s just terrible news if he actually blew out his elbow.

6. Corey
      April 15th, 2009 | 9:06 am

“Jack Black…Back…Back…Back!
      —-
      lol ok mr. sterling

7. clintfsu813
      April 15th, 2009 | 9:06 am

Anybody got stats on Yankee pitchers facing their former team on home openers?

8. butchie22
      April 15th, 2009 | 10:37 am

MJ wrote:

Garza impressed the shit out of me last year especially in the ACLS last year against Boston so that’s that. He beat the 300 pound gorilla and didn’t break a sweat doing it either . He definitely deserved the ALCS MVP for that job,no doubt.