• Xavier Nady Will Need Surgery & May Miss Season

Posted by on April 15th, 2009 · Comments (16)

Per Pete Abe:

Nothing official yet, but the word is that Xavier Nady will need surgery and miss the season.

Looks like Nick Swisher is the new Yankees right fielder and Melky Cabrera may get more At Bats off the bench than once planned. We’ll know in the next month or two if this is really bad news for the Yankees – or not.

Comments on Xavier Nady Will Need Surgery & May Miss Season

1. Evan3457
      April 15th, 2009 | 1:49 pm

Actually, we may never really know, because we don’t know how good Nady would’ve been in a full season in the AL. In his time with the Yanks, (assuming he’s really lost for the balance of the season) he was mediocre on both sides of the ball, contributing some big hits here and there, but making a lot of outs along the way.

Now, Swisher is going to have a big slump at some point, because his career stats do not indicate he’s anything like a .300 hitter. By that time, I hope A-Rod is back, Tex is hitting, and Matsui wakes up out of his batting coma. If the top of the rotation keeps throwing well, and rest of the offense and bullpen performs to expectations, they should be able to cover for the loss Nady.

Thank goodness the Yanks traded for Swisher, huh? Gene Michael did a good job on that one. Thank goodness they didn’t trade Swisher after Nady won the RF job in camp. Bob Watson was real sharp there.

2. YankCrank
      April 15th, 2009 | 1:50 pm

I think we can all agree that this is very bad news. Whether we have the depth to back up an injury like this or not, it still sucks. Looks like we saw our last of Xavier in a Yankee uniform.

3. YankCrank
      April 15th, 2009 | 1:51 pm

—–
      Very good point.

—-
      GREAT point, lol. Love it!

4. thenewguy
      April 15th, 2009 | 1:56 pm

At least the Swisher vs. Nady debate is now dead….

But seriously, Cashman has to make a move now, unless somehow Shelley Duncan can miraculously play a decent RF and find his bat in the majors (which, to be sure, I don’t see happening.)

Who is a Util OF that the Yankees could trade for or sign?

5. Corey
      April 15th, 2009 | 1:56 pm

*watches MJ do the happy dance*

6. April 15th, 2009 | 2:00 pm

thenewguy wrote:

Who is a Util OF that the Yankees could trade for or sign?

Frank Catalanotto?

7. Corey
      April 15th, 2009 | 2:06 pm

as much as i don’t like him, Wily Mo Pena is out there

8. Evan3457
      April 15th, 2009 | 2:07 pm

…and by big slump, I mean an awful homestand or road trip where he goes something like 2-30 with 13 K’s and 3 BB, where he fails in several big spots with men on base in a close game. Or maybe a solid month where he hits .150 with 2 HR and 7 RBI.

And if it’s a homestand, the crowd will boo him just as loud as they’re going to cheer him tomorrow. It’s just the way things are.

Assuming no more big ouchies, he’ll wind up batting 7th, I think, and that’s where he should be, assuming everyone else is healthy and producing:

Jeter/Damon/Tex/A-Rod/Matsui/Posada/Swisher/Cano/Gardner

…which is the lineup I figured would eventually evolve after they signed Tex.

9. Evan3457
      April 15th, 2009 | 2:12 pm

Well, I never though they’d move Jeter from #2, but aside from that, that was the order.

As for an OF, they should look for say, Josh Willingham of the Nationals, especially after Milledge returns from AAA. Or Austin Kearns, if the Nationals would rather dump him. The Nationals have a glut of decent/good outfielders, so even after Nick Johson suffers his annual season-ending injury, and they have to move Dunn to first, they’ll still have 4 major league starting OF for 3 slots: Willingham, Kearns, Dukes, Milledge, plus Harris to be their 5th OF.

That’s the team to look at for an extra OF. They’ll look to overcharge Cashman (ask for Hughes, for example), so he’ll have to be able to say no a few times, then strike close to the deadline.

10. butchie22
      April 15th, 2009 | 2:21 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

Cash Man was channeling Gabe Paul on that onenot Stick or Watson, mate. For sure….. I was one who didn’t mind both on the team, so that was a no brainer. I also mentioned last week that Swisher Sweet would swoop down and take someone’s job if an injury popped up.It’s funny in the case of Ca$h Man (and the non trade of either Swisher or No Emotion Nady) how even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile!

Frank the Cat is not a bad idea. He’s not what he was with Toronto, but he’s a good enough player I’m surprised no one has grabbed him since his release. IMO, the jury is still out with Gardner and Melky and an extra experienced/veteran outfielder makes sense in this case if the Yankees want to have continued depth.

11. MJ
      April 15th, 2009 | 2:23 pm

Corey wrote:

*watches MJ do the happy dance*

LOL – I was rooting for Swish to win the job because he deserves it, not because Nady’s out with an injury. I don’t like Nady but I don’t wish him harm, either! He’s a Yankee and I wish him well, after all.

12. Corey
      April 15th, 2009 | 2:35 pm

——–
      lol i know i was just jokin

13. April 15th, 2009 | 2:57 pm

MiLB (And RAB and Chris Jennings’ Scranton blog) all reported Austin Jackson came out early, ditto with infielder Kevin Russo.

Looking at the list of FA outfielders, there are a few stopgaps available: Jim Edmonds, Jay Payton and F-Cat are all out there.

You could probably get a deal on someone like Josh Willingham from the Nats or Matt Murton from the Rox.

However, at this point, I’d be more comfortable going with the in-house alternatives unless something else presents itself.

14. MJ
      April 15th, 2009 | 5:05 pm

lol i know i was just jokin
      ——-
      I know man!

15. MJ
      April 15th, 2009 | 5:06 pm

——-
      Actually, for once, I’d rather go with someone like an Edmonds or a Payton on a low-risk deal. I’d rather see Austin Jackson get more seasoning in AAA and then cut the veteran stop-gap (say, Edmonds, for example) at the All-Star break. I don’t want to rush what could be our best positional prospect in 10 years.

16. Evan3457
      April 15th, 2009 | 7:57 pm

I’d be willing to trade for Willingham or Kearns, whichever salary the Nationals are willing to dump.

Meanwhile, nice win today again, against the gritty gutty, Maddon-led Rays, hunh?