As mentioned last week, each Monday I’m going to do a quick post looking back at “the week that was in Yankeeland” and comment on something that stands out the most from that time period (for me).
What stands out the most in my mind, this past week, is that the Yankees went 4-3 – but, it could have been much, much, worse than that. Let’s look at each game:
- Last Monday, lost, getting whipped, 15-5
- Last Tuesday, won, thanks to A.J. and D.J., 7-2
- Last Wednesday, won, barely, 4-3 – squeaking by via one run
- Last Thursday, lost, getting whipped, 10-2
- Last Friday, won, barely, 6-5 – squeaking by via one run
- Last Saturday, lost, getting whipped, 22-4
- Yesterday, Sunday, won, 7-3 – but it should have been a “barely, squeaking by via one run” thing if not for Shin-Soo Choo playing a third out into a 3-run double
Therefore, in total, the week that was in “Week 2″ for the Yankees was three whippings, two games barely won, another that should have been a barely won if not for a gift, and one clean win. That’s not a stellar week. But, hey, better lucky than good, right?
As it is, the Yankees start “Week 3″ just 2.5 games back of the first place “10-4″ Toronto Blue Jays. While that’s not great news, it’s a lot better than being five games back…and in last place.