• Is Hughes Ready To Pitch In Bigs Like He Does In The Bushes?

Posted by on April 23rd, 2009 · Comments (9)

Phil Hughes is off to a great start at Triple-A this season with the Scranton-Wilkes Barre Yankees in the International League. To date, he’s made three starts, throwing 19.3 innings, allowing 17 hits and 3 walks, whiffing 19, going 3-0 with an ERA of 1.86. What’s not to like about that?

Well, actually, I think there’s something even more to like in what Hughes has done so far in AAA. And, to see that, you have to look inside these numbers:

Start	  P-Stk	  IP	P/IP
    1st Start	  96-63	  6.0	16.0
    2nd Start	  96-64	  5.6	16.9
    3rd Start	  105-75	  7.3	14.4

The numbers above are Phil Hughes’ first three starts this season in terms of Pitches Thrown and Thrown For Strikes (P-Stk), Innings Pitched (IP) and Pitches Per Inning (P/IP).

These numbers tell us that Hughes has been able to pitch into the 6th or 7th innings of his games, so far this season, and he’s doing it with an overall average of 15.6 pitches thrown per inning.

Now, if you have a pitcher at the big league level who can reach the 7th inning of a game and who averages about 16-17 innings pitched per inning, he’s someone who is going to help your team.

Of course, the question here is: Can Phil Hughes average 16 P/IP for 6-7 IP per start against big league batters like he does against Triple-A batters? After all, there’s a big difference between Triple-A and the major leagues. Just go and ask Shelley Duncan and Kei Igawa, if you don’t believe me.

I’m hoping that, should the Yankees have a need for a starting pitcher this season, Phil Hughes gets a shot to show us what these minor league numbers really mean for him. It should be interesting to see how it works out.

Comments on Is Hughes Ready To Pitch In Bigs Like He Does In The Bushes?

1. Corey
      April 24th, 2009 | 9:17 am

what’s next a post about how great a job Cashman’s doing? :P

2. YankCrank
      April 24th, 2009 | 9:18 am

——–
      Wow Steve, after reading that I really hope Hughes has a chance to come up and reward you and other Yankee fans for their faith.

3. clintfsu813
      April 24th, 2009 | 9:29 am

Its such a tough call for me. On one hand I want to see what he can do, and on the other I agree with those who want him to do a whole year in AAA instead of being shuffled back and forth.

4. April 24th, 2009 | 9:33 am

Hey, maybe my rebound prediction from 2 years ago comes true now, for Hughes?

April 24th, 2009 | 10:27 am

Hey, maybe my rebound prediction from 2 years ago comes true now, for Hughes?

—————-
      I still stand by my comments in that thread… Anyway, I hope he can stay healthy.

6. Jake1
      April 24th, 2009 | 11:52 am

im sick of hearing about hughes. ill have to see it before i buy into it now. dominating AAA hitters with a 90mph fastball and a decent curve is one thing. major league hitters is another thing.

7. Evan3457
      April 24th, 2009 | 1:49 pm

Is Hughes Ready To Pitch In Bigs Like He Does In The Bushes?

I can state without any hesitation or fear of contradiction: Maybe.

8. Evan3457
      April 24th, 2009 | 1:50 pm

On the other hand, as my friend Mike is fond of reminding me:

The other half of maybe is maybe not.

9. May 5th, 2009 | 6:58 am

[...] Hughes has thrown 78 pitches through his first 3 innings. Yes, this is what I was worried about back on April 23rd. But, I’m willing to give Hughes a mulligan on this one. His start was pushed back a day. [...]