• April 24th @ The Red Sox

Posted by on April 25th, 2009 · Comments (12)

Sometimes, you can just feel it coming.

Dunno why, in this one? But, the vibe was there.

Maybe it was all those runners the Yankees left on base during the game? Going four for nineteen, in the end, with runners in scoring position is ugly.

Maybe it was Joba Chamberlain throwing as many balls, just about, as strikes today, and pulling Houdini Act after Houdini Act to dodge a cave in?

Maybe it was seeing Mo Rivera come into a game in the 8th inning during the month of April?

Whatever it was, as we entered the bottom of the ninth, and having that hearing footsteps feeling, I fully expected Bill Mueller to come out of retirement and bat for the Red Sox in that frame against Rivera…

I guess that Jason Bay is the new Bill Mueller, huh? I will say this: Bay impressed the heck out of me with his homerun trot this evening. That is how a professional rounds the bases in a spot like that one. The dude truly earned my respect there.

And, when Damaso Marte entered the game, you knew it was just a matter of time…

I guess Damaso Marte is the new Paul Quantrill, huh? Sure, Flash, Conie and Kay in the YES booth were congregational singing about Marte being pumped up, and looking like a new man, etc. But, I knew…again, I had a feeling…that it was just a matter of time.

And, then, Kevin Youkilis provides the crusher.

Lovely. Just effing-a-lovely with a cherry on top.

Burnett verus Beckett tomorrow. Let’s hope that A.J. has the game of his life for the Yankees. It couldn’t come at a better time.

Comments on April 24th @ The Red Sox

1. JeremyM
      April 25th, 2009 | 12:33 am

I hate baseball. I really, truly do right now. There is no reason to get this upset over a stupid game. And Steve, do you have any idea what their numbers are as far as leaving RISP this season? It seems like they are going for a record or something because it seems even worse than usual, and it seems like it’s been pretty bad the last 3 or 4 years. What is with this team?

2. ken
      April 25th, 2009 | 12:38 am

For some strange reason, I’m not feeling terrible about this game. Yes, it hurts but a few other thoughts:

1- It is only April.
      2- Joba is evolving as a starter and looking better. You can say that the DP’s were lucky but I say that he threw pitches that could not be driven deep in the outfield in clutch situations.
      3- Mo had one bad pitch.
      4- Marte showed alot, even in defeat.

I’m seeing the glass half-full on this one. Let’s see what happens by Sunday night.

3. Tresh Fan
      April 25th, 2009 | 12:44 am

My personal take:

The Red Sox were playing to win.

The Yankees were playing not to lose.

4. JeremyM
      April 25th, 2009 | 12:54 am

The Yanks have been doing that since game 4 of the 2004 ALCS. It drives me crazy.

5. YankCrank
      April 25th, 2009 | 9:13 am

Hey, I know a lot about this game was frustrating. The injuries that occurred don’t help us either, but there’s a new game today and we’ll go out and get ‘em. That’s the beauty of baseball.

6. butchie22
      April 25th, 2009 | 10:28 am

JeremyM wrote:

This was the primary adjustment the team needed to adress this off season and the response was Teixeira and to a lesser degree Swisher. It just seems like these collective cast of characters has a problem with RISP. In addition, there was some dissapointing play. Ellsbury’s scoring from 2nd on a passed ball, not scoring in the 9th with bases loaded and no out, and Mo showing who his kryptonite is again:the Red Sox.The Red Sox might have seen Mo a gazillion times BUT Bay is a relative neophyte and he smashed one out of the ballpark.

Several other things. Ken, Mo let another guy get on base before Bay, so it was simply more than a case of one bad pitch. Reference back to Game 4 9th inning when Mo let someone on and gave the Red Sox a crack at survival when the Yanks were ready to deliver the crushing blow. Jeremy M, the Sox have this comeback ability under Tito Francona that is amazing, it’s almost like a hockey mentality: never say die. I don’t know what he says to these guys BUT they are playing sans Manny AND they have won 8 in a row at home. Hats off to Doogie Howser Epstein for putting together a great team and one that is tens of millions of dollars under the luxury tax. Tresh, you are right. That Pedroia double play at home in the 9th showed how serious they were at staying in the game. It’s April, but the games count the same especially now that the Yankees are playing in the division. And to Crank, one has to have a positive attitude like that because as important as they games as and as powerful as Boston is at home, they don’t play these games on paper!Even after 22-4, 15-5 , there is a day after. Though this type of one run loss stings a little more……

7. ken
      April 25th, 2009 | 10:36 am

Butchie: I think back at how many times the last few years when in June or July I think back at a NYY/BOS series in April that seemed to important when it happened and then I can barely remember who won. Let’s not over analyze one game.

And also, that team in that ballpark is never out of a game. But I will concede one point: the Sox over the last few years have a great comeback mindset. They never believe they are out of a game. It’s like us in the late 90′s.

8. butchie22
      April 25th, 2009 | 10:48 am

ken wrote:

And also, that team in that ballpark is never out of a game. But I will concede one point: the Sox over the last few years have a great comeback mindset. They never believe they are out of a game. It’s like us in the late 90’s.

Ken , what is different is that Tampa is now a player and every game counts even more. The Bluebirds got off to a quick start and even though they won’t win the pennant, won’t win the division, they will be a royal pain in the butt contrary to the naysayers out there. The Os will be pesky as well. There is no given in this league anyomore when another team ascended to first place from almost nowhere,Tampa and Toronto and Baltimore are not exactly the bottomfeeders that existed let’s say only 5 years ago either. A liitle paradigm shift happened last year and things are different from a few years ago…….

9. ken
      April 25th, 2009 | 11:48 am

Butchie: On your point about the Os: I saw Cashman speak in CT earlier this week. He mentioned them as a team that is building smartly through high draft picks in the model of Tampa.

10. April 25th, 2009 | 12:02 pm

JeremyM wrote:

Yanks are batting .244 as a team, to date, this season with RISP. Only Oakland has a worse BA w/RISP in the AL right now.

11. JeremyM
      April 25th, 2009 | 12:10 pm

Thanks Steve. If memory serves, the Yanks have been at the bottom of the league in that stat over the last 4 or so years. I mean, they had the bases loaded against a wild Javy Lopez, no outs, and didn’t score a single run!

12. clintfsu813
      April 25th, 2009 | 1:02 pm

Any chance we’re also putting more people on base than most? And I like our runs per game average right now too.