• April 26th @ The Red Sox

    Posted by on April 26th, 2009 · Comments (43)

    On the bright side, in this game, the Yankees had the tying run on deck in the ninth inning. And, finally, we got to see Mark Melancon pitch in a big league game. Other than that…well…things were not so good here.

    I happened to be in Penn Station today from 4:30 pm ET until 5:00 pm ET. And, it was an interesting time to be there. The place was loaded with people wearing Mets gear, Rangers gear, and NFL jerseys. Actually, it was a bit of a zoo. It seems that the Mets game, Rangers play-off game, and Day Two of the NFL Draft all unloaded near the same time.

    Related, there were many fans of the Mets and Rangers on my train back to New Jersey this evening. From the reactions of those decked out in their team’s shirts and caps, you could not tell if they were coming home from a win or a loss. It wasn’t until I came home, and caught ESPN, that I learned that the Mets dropped a game to the lowly Washington Nationals (getting whipped, 8-1) and the Rangers lost to the Washington Capitals (setting themselves up for a Game 7, after being up 3-1 in their playoff series).

    Funny, I’m now sitting here with steam coming out of ears because the Yankees got swept by the Red Sox, during three April games in Boston, and those fans on the train earlier this evening seemed pretty cool, calm and collected. Does that say something about me, them, or both of us?

    In any event, hey, I’m sorry. But, the Yankees blew a win on Friday. They got their fannies kicked on Saturday. And, they were out-played in this one. New York lost every which way you can in these three games.

    When you live and die with this stuff, how can you not come away from three losses like these with your feathers in a bunch?

    Related, it’s a series outcome like this, against the Red Sox, that shows us that Hank and Hal Steinbrenner are, indeed, nothing like their father George.

    And, I know that many, many, Yankees fans feel that this is an excellent thing.

    Me? Right now, I’m not so sure…

    Hank and Hal, after this set at Fenway, will probably react like those Mets and Rangers fans on my train today. But, Big Stein? Well, I suspect, in his prime, “The Boss” would be steamin’ away like me…

    Is that the wrong thing to do? Maybe. Yet, nonetheless, this venting fan wouldn’t mind some company/empathy from the people in charge of the team he roots for…you know…a little solidarity from the Brothers Stein.

    So, Hank, Hal, whaddaya say? You guys have an pulse, whatsoever? Let’s see it.

    Comments on April 26th @ The Red Sox

    1. ken
      April 27th, 2009 | 12:25 am

      Random thoughts on the weekend:

      1- I have a sick feeling like back in ’04: everything is rolling just fine until a blown save by Mo and then it all falls apart and leads to embarrassment in so many ways.

      2- Seems like the Sox, at least right now, are hitting anything. The Manny/Papi era is over and they haven’t missed a beat.

      3- Why do all the RS young pitchers look like Beckett/Paplebon clones? How do they find/develop these guys?

      4- The RS organization is the class of the league. Period.

      5- I’m not giving up on the season. No way. But this weekend has more meaning than 3 losses in the standings.

    2. ken
      April 27th, 2009 | 12:31 am

      Oh, one more thing I meant to write:

      6- Don’t forget that the Sox came into this homestand with a 3-6 record and playing poorly. The first game against Balt they were down 7-0 and went on to win 10-8. Now they’ve won 10 straight.

    3. butchie22
      April 27th, 2009 | 9:01 am

      The Theo Epstein Red Sox are a team that never say die. Notice what happened last year against the Rays in game 5 of the ALCS…there is almost no deficit that team can’t come back from. Where Theo looks a million times better than Ca$h Man is this gaggle of young players that excel for them. Mike Francesa made a great point about these young Boston relievers last night, they were like their B squad and they schooled the Yankees.The fact that they have won 10 straight at home and in the Yankee series should have lost the first two games BUT never gave up like a hockey squad.

      The Red Sox are the model franchise in baseball right now. Not only do they spend less than the Yankees they seem to have an endless supply of pitchers and young kids that have contributed to that team. Where the Stein Bros should be ashamed is that they brought Ca$h Man back. Theo works with much less money and gets much better results culminating in two championships in the last 5 years. The Ca$h Man Lover’s brigade should keep that in mind every time they defend him. The Red Sox ascent happened under Cash Man’s charge, they have repeated winning the WS twice recently AND Yankees haven’t even gone past the first round since 2004!

      One last thing, does Ellsbury get buzzed at Yankee Stadium for his 3rd base steal? I don’t advocate headhunting at all BUT throwing inside is OK. That steal was emblematic of the youth of the Red Sox vs the old veteran Yankees. Yeah, they have Lowell and Big Flappi and Drew(who areold BUT Lowell looked pretty athletic at third this series, though) but they have kids like Masterson, Ellsbury,Pedroia who perform at a higher level than the Yankee prospects/newbies do.

      In the end, it was terrible to lose those three games but there are quite a few more games with the Red Sox left. BUT Games against any division team including first place Toronto, Boston, Tampa and Baltimore carry more weight. And especially games against the Red Sox, because the roles seem reversed. Now they are the Evil Empire and the Yankees are the Rebellion forces(albeit well funded rebels!). The most amusing thing is that the Red Sox are now where the Yankees were in the 90s. And thanks to Theo, Bill James and Co, they will probably own that mantle for some time to come. Francesa made a very interesting point that the Red Sox only spent 14 million this off season while the Yanks spent 425 million! They can solve this imbalance in the universe and get rid of Alterman, Ca$h Man and Co. Bring Watson, Stick, and Gillick back as consultants and/or team president and find a better GM. That is one way that the Yankees can get on top again, because Ca$h Man’s job of developing talent has lead to much of nothing in the last few years while they are hanging championship banners in Fenway….simply unacceptable.

    4. YankCrank
      April 27th, 2009 | 9:04 am

      Hey Steve, what kind of reaction from the Steins are you looking for? A public statement that speaks about how the team or manager should be embarrassed, or some rushed, poorly-thought out trade that may/may not help our team and strip our farm system?

    5. YankCrank
      April 27th, 2009 | 9:14 am

      I’m going to get killed for this statement so feel free to yell at me, but i’m simply not worried. We’re down A-Rod, Wang, Nady, Bruney, have no contribution in CF, 3B is a black hole and we’re giving Melky way more at bats than he should be getting. In other words, every facet of our team (offense, defense, pitching, bench) is hurting right now due to injuries. You know what happens when you’re limping into a road series against a team that’s won seven in a row and are virtually healthy everywhere (other than Dice-K and Lowerie)? You get your ass kicked into the ground, and we did.

      I know it’s three losses to the Sox and they were embarrassing, that sucks. But we play 15 more games against these guys so it’s time to get over this one and move on. We’re 9-9 with 144 games left, let’s not get too carried away here.

    6. butchie22
      April 27th, 2009 | 9:17 am

      YankCrank wrote:

      Hey Steve, what kind of reaction from the Steins are you looking for? A public statement that speaks about how the team or manager should be embarrassed, or some rushed, poorly-thought out trade that may/may not help our team and strip our farm system?

      You know George’s histrionics were annoying for sure. BUT that was his way of showing that he cared. Then again I have a love /hate affair with George anyway so his missives and tirades could come out as being unintentionally comical at times. I don’t think that grandiose statements from the owners will make Cash Man draft any better or the elder statesmen on the team play like 25 year olds in their prime again. As fans, we want the team owners to have the same pain we are feeling, but in this case they are arguably more bent out of shape that the seats behind home plate look empty on TV at this point! I’m also talking about Yankee inc as a whole(Levine, Trost, the new Steinbrenners) who see the Yanks aa a means to an end(a money machine)rather than actually winning. Otherwise, they would have let Cash Man go to Philly, Seattle or somewhere else where he might only be able to land minor league players ,like Toronto did this year under the edict of Roger Communications.

    7. April 27th, 2009 | 9:17 am

      YankCrank wrote:

      Hey Steve, what kind of reaction from the Steins are you looking for? A public statement that speaks about how the team or manager should be embarrassed, or some rushed, poorly-thought out trade that may/may not help our team and strip our farm system?

      A warning shot across the bow.

      Fire Mike Harkey.

      Yes, it’s not his fault that the Yankees had their poop pushed in all weekend by the Red Sox.
      But, the pen has been a mess this season. And, I would bet that Harkey is a nice guy, respected by the team and staff.

      Seeing a nice guy lose his job tells the team that there’s a price to pay for being a laid-back team, etc.

      And, it’s not going to be a fair process – meaning that anyone can go at any time if the team doesn’t play better.

      Maybe Eiland is next? Maybe Girardi after that? Maybe some other guys get sent to AAA?
      Basically, you just want to shake up the team. It’s Big Stein 101.

    8. April 27th, 2009 | 9:19 am

      YankCrank wrote:

      We’re down A-Rod, Wang, Nady, Bruney, have no contribution in CF, 3B is a black hole and we’re giving Melky way more at bats than he should be getting. In other words, every facet of our team (offense, defense, pitching, bench) is hurting right now due to injuries.

      The Blue Jays and Red Sox are without key players too, due to injuries. But, they’re doing just now fine now – in terms of wins and losses.

    9. butchie22
      April 27th, 2009 | 9:27 am

      YankCrank wrote:

      I’m going to get killed for this statement so feel free to yell at me, but i’m simply not worried. We’re down A-Rod, Wang, Nady, Bruney, have no contribution in CF, 3B is a black hole and we’re giving Melky way more at bats than he should be getting. In other words, every facet of our team (offense, defense, pitching, bench) is hurting right now due to injuries. You know what happens when you’re limping into a road series against a team that’s won seven in a row and are virtually healthy everywhere (other than Dice-K and Lowerie)? You get your ass kicked into the ground, and we did.
      I know it’s three losses to the Sox and they were embarrassing, that sucks. But we play 15 more games against these guys so it’s time to get over this one and move on. We’re 9-9 with 144 games left, let’s not get too carried away here.

      It’s not that I disagree totally BUT Dicey-K , Lugo, Lowrie are not around and they plug in Nick Green (remember him Yankee fans) and he does the job well enough. And Smoltz hasn’t even shwon up yet either.The problem with the injury argument is that many teams have injuries and look at them The Blue Jays have 6 count them 6 pitchers on the DL, Marcum MacGowan, Litsch, Janssen, Ryan and Romero(their best pitcher this year so far,even better than Halladay). That’s five starters unavailable (and their closer)and they are in first place, though that won’t last. The Jays like the Angels have been devastated injury wise and no one feels sorry for them , other teams are probably happy.Arod coming back will make a difference no doubt, but the team spit the bit on that game. The goat was Mariano in the first game, then Burnit in the second and in the third Masterson and Co pitched beautifully and the RED Sox took advantage of one of Pettite’s Achilles ‘heel and they swept for a reason. There are months left in the season , BUT these three losses stung, no matter what happened……

    10. Corey
      April 27th, 2009 | 9:29 am

      Francesa made a very interesting point that the Red Sox only spent 14 million this off season while the Yanks spent 425 million!
      =======
      the difference? the red sox were a playoff team and the yanks weren’t last year, hense more holes to fill. Not to mention. many red sox are incumbants from last year, where as the yanks had many expiring contracts.
      ——
      ============
      and we’re giving Melky way more at bats than he should be getting.
      ===========
      melky isn’t hurting the team…yet…are bigest problem is the black hole at 3B, IMO
      ——
      ==========
      Maybe Eiland is next?
      ===========
      i would kind of like to see this…but I think it’s more of a product of me wanting to see David Cone as our pitching coach then of Eiland doing poorly…I think Conie can help, just from hearing him in the booth…

    11. YankCrank
      April 27th, 2009 | 9:36 am

      The Blue Jays and Red Sox are without key players too, due to injuries. But, they’re doing just now fine now – in terms of wins and losses.
      ——

      Yes they are, and good for them. We were 9-6 without our key players and doing fine for ourselves as well before we laid an egg in Boston. The Jays will not be this good all year, the Sox have won 10 in a row and will come down to earth at some point….they won’t go 156-6. The Yanks dropped 3 straight and everybody is down on them after the weekend but pieces will fall into place. A-Rod is a piece that will fall in, Melancon went into Fenway last night and pitched great in a tight game…maybe he will be a key piece that falls into our bullpen. You just never know, which is why overreacting to the first 18 games of 162 is essentially useless.

      If these are still our problem in July and after the trade deadline, than we have a lot to worry about. Right now? It’s April, and we’re .500, and have only played six of 18 at home.

    12. YankCrank
      April 27th, 2009 | 9:38 am

      However, and this is directed at Steve, I love your fandom and how three losses at the Fens destroys you inside. I’ll never argue with you on that, you truly live and die with your team and I dig it.

    13. April 27th, 2009 | 9:41 am

      YankCrank wrote:

      However, and this is directed at Steve, I love your fandom and how three losses at the Fens destroys you inside. I’ll never argue with you on that, you truly live and die with your team and I dig it.

      Thanks Amigo.

    14. butchie22
      April 27th, 2009 | 9:42 am

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      YankCrank wrote:
      Hey Steve, what kind of reaction from the Steins are you looking for? A public statement that speaks about how the team or manager should be embarrassed, or some rushed, poorly-thought out trade that may/may not help our team and strip our farm system?
      A warning shot across the bow.
      Fire Mike Harkey.
      Yes, it’s not his fault that the Yankees had their poop pushed in all weekend by the Red Sox.
      But, the pen has been a mess this season. And, I would bet that Harkey is a nice guy, respected by the team and staff.
      Seeing a nice guy lose his job tells the team that there’s a price to pay for being a laid-back team, etc.
      And, it’s not going to be a fair process – meaning that anyone can go at any time if the team doesn’t play better.
      Maybe Eiland is next? Maybe Girardi after that? Maybe some other guys get sent to AAA?
      Basically, you just want to shake up the team. It’s Big Stein 101.

      The problem I have with big Stein 101 is that it might shake up the team,BUT will it make them better? As I have said will that make Ca$h Man pitching choices better than Tampa’s, Boston’s, Toronto’s etc so on? Hell no!!?? Does Jeter, Posada, Pettite or Damon need to be reminded even at their “old age” that they need to win? Girardi is so serious aleardy what can motivation do from above? Girardi knows he’s under the hot seat already, what else can be done? Also George’s implusiveness/strange behavior drove Zimmer away from the team and isn’t it curious that the Yankees haven’t done as well without Zim?

      Like I said, I have a love /hate relationship with George. I like the drama and bravura he brought to the franchise and the fact that he wanted to win. BUT some of his words AND actions were suspect, overly dramatic and hyperbolic to say the least. The 90s dynasty happened because Stick and Watson were able to build a team without major interference from George(thank God for that). And honestly the 2009 Yankees don’t need fire and brimstone BUT rather a GM who could draft better and do a better job. Yes, it always boils down to Cash Man no matter what!

    15. butchie22
      April 27th, 2009 | 10:00 am

      Corey wrote:

      Francesa made a very interesting point that the Red Sox only spent 14 million this off season while the Yanks spent 425 million!
      =======
      the difference? the red sox were a playoff team and the yanks weren’t last year, hense more holes to fill. Not to mention. many red sox are incumbants from last year, where as the yanks had many expiring contracts.
      ——
      ============
      and we’re giving Melky way more at bats than he should be getting.
      ===========
      melky isn’t hurting the team…yet…are bigest problem is the black hole at 3B, IMO
      ——
      ==========
      Maybe Eiland is next?
      ===========
      i would kind of like to see this…but I think it’s more of a product of me wanting to see David Cone as our pitching coach then of Eiland doing poorly…I think Conie can help, just from hearing him in the booth…

      Yes, the Yankees only won 89 games last year. BUT did they have to spend 425 million vesus 14 million to shore up their team? A GM has to spend 410 million more than his competition and not build from within? Cash Man didn’t draft as well as the Sox and make prudent choices about paying free agents so that is why he spent a gazillion dollars in the end,if anything.

      Crank on the Blue Jays. They have great defense, much better offense this year under Cito and have a chance to be OK and pesky. Their Achilles Heel(which was their strength last year) is that their starters have gone down like wildfire lately BUT Tallet who was a reliever for the Jays until two weeks stepped up and now has pitched two shutouts for them. They also have a pretty good relief staff .They are not as bad as some as the pundits and Sabermetric geeks/nerds have made them out to be. Cito’s hitting acumen has gotten a lot out of these players who had former Yankees hitting coach Gary Denbo(remember him from 2001?),turning them into a bad version of patient teams like the Yanks or the Red Sox. Then again, they “ain’t” winning the division or the pennant BUT will be a pain in the butt to play.

      Eiland? I want Mazzone instead. Supposedly, he grew up as a Yankee fan and wanted to come to the Bronx after the his time with the Blackbirds. If anyone can turn these proverbial turds into roses Mazzone might be able to. I also had a feeling that Wang was more comfortable under Guidry, though he did decently last year until he got hurt anyway.

    16. Corey
      April 27th, 2009 | 10:02 am

      mazzone hasn’t done that great of a job in Baltimore, why would he do any better here? He got blessed with one of the best rotations, possibly ever..my vote still goes to Cone

    17. Raf
      April 27th, 2009 | 10:10 am

      The Blue Jays and Red Sox are without key players too, due to injuries. But, they’re doing just now fine now – in terms of wins and losses.
      ———-
      The key word is *now*

      Last week, people were falling all over the Marlins due to their 11-1 start. They have lost 6 in a row since.

    18. Raf
      April 27th, 2009 | 10:11 am

      Yes, the Yankees only won 89 games last year. BUT did they have to spend 425 million vesus 14 million to shore up their team?
      —————–
      Look at the players signed. That’s why there’s a discrepancy in spending.

    19. Raf
      April 27th, 2009 | 10:12 am

      Hey Steve, what kind of reaction from the Steins are you looking for? A public statement that speaks about how the team or manager should be embarrassed, or some rushed, poorly-thought out trade that may/may not help our team and strip our farm system?
      —————-
      Yep… But at least he cares, right?

    20. April 27th, 2009 | 10:14 am

      butchie22 wrote:

      Like I said, I have a love /hate relationship with George.

      I hear you on that.

      Steinbrenner was a blow-hard, a liar, a bully, a cheat, and all of the other bad things that people have said about him through the years.
      He was capable of doing some incredibly charitable things and yet also capable of ruining the lives of others.

      That said, sometimes the prick bosses are the ones who get the best results. Granted, the people who work for him want to see him go down in a plane, sometimes, but again, in terms of pure business – again, sometimes – he’s the right guy for the job.

      And, maybe…JUST MAYBE…what the post-2003 Yankees need is a huge bucket of Big Stein poured over their heads.

    21. ken
      April 27th, 2009 | 10:18 am

      One fact in Cashman’s defense: rebuilding a farm system takes time measured in years. The ‘buy a championship’ mentality that took hold in the early 00′s is only now starting to turn around.

      Big Stein might fire a coach or two, but he also insisted on acquiring big name aging players at the expense of developing youth.

    22. Raf
      April 27th, 2009 | 10:19 am

      And, maybe…JUST MAYBE…what the post-2003 Yankees need is a huge bucket of Big Stein poured over their heads.
      ————–
      The way the whole Torre situation was handled doesn’t count? Stein taking shots @ Rodriguez doesn’t count? Signing Pavano, Womack, Wright & trading for Johnson doesn’t count?

    23. Raf
      April 27th, 2009 | 10:21 am

      One fact in Cashman’s defense: rebuilding a farm system takes time measured in years. The ‘buy a championship’ mentality that took hold in the early 00’s is only now starting to turn around.
      ——————-
      Regardless, that isn’t the reason the Yanks are having their “problems.” Especially considering a bulk of their team has been homegrown.

    24. butchie22
      April 27th, 2009 | 11:11 am

      Corey wrote:

      mazzone hasn’t done that great of a job in Baltimore, why would he do any better here? He got blessed with one of the best rotations, possibly ever..my vote still goes to Cone

      Umm, he didn’t have enough time in Baltimore to enact a change and unlike Cone(nice guy and does great job knowing ’bout what his old teams like KC, the Jays and the Mets are up to). Mazzone has the experience AND Cone has none, I don’t want to see another Guidry type of experiemnt again….

    25. butchie22
      April 27th, 2009 | 11:18 am

      Raf wrote:

      Yes, the Yankees only won 89 games last year. BUT did they have to spend 425 million vesus 14 million to shore up their team?
      —————–
      Look at the players signed. That’s why there’s a discrepancy in spending.

      Incorrect, there was a discrepency in spending because Cash Man didn’t develop, sign and/or trade for players that would make his team better. As usual, HE BOUGHT THEM! That is why there is such a gulf in terms of spending. Theo tweaked his team with Saito, Smoltz, Penny and Baldelli all for chump change and the Red Sox won 6 more games than the Yanks. On the other hand , Cash Man spent a gazillion dollars when he already spends more than anybody else on payroll AND on drafting etc so on. It’s quite frankly a case of being poundfoolish, if anything. If Brainless actually drafted and developed correctly, the Yankees would be a much better team instead we get a squad of A ll Stars without the requisitive heart of a “team”.

    26. butchie22
      April 27th, 2009 | 11:31 am

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      butchie22 wrote:
      Like I said, I have a love /hate relationship with George.
      I hear you on that.
      Steinbrenner was a blow-hard, a liar, a bully, a cheat, and all of the other bad things that people have said about him through the years.
      He was capable of doing some incredibly charitable things and yet also capable of ruining the lives of others.
      That said, sometimes the prick bosses are the ones who get the best results. Granted, the people who work for him want to see him go down in a plane, sometimes, but again, in terms of pure business – again, sometimes – he’s the right guy for the job.
      And, maybe…JUST MAYBE…what the post-2003 Yankees need is a huge bucket of Big Stein poured over their heads.

      Steve, where I disagree is George’s means to an end, so to speak. You truly recognize George for what he was , but we divert our paths on his firey rhetoric. Look at the bodies that have been left to the side of the road by George. we are both in our 40s, remember what happened to Gabe Paul? The musical chairs manager show that went on in the old days was hardly stable, though it was entertaining. And Zim? What did Zimmer ever do to deserve what happened to him? Like I said, I liked the fact that George cut the check BUT ultimately what can screaming at Cash Man , Girardi and Co accomplish at this point? I don’t think that a veteran laden older team will respond to fire and brimstone. Cash Man put together the team and it is under his charge, if anybody should be fired it should be him. Because inherently speaking, he constructed this team, is responsible for the drafting, and has spent more than any other GM! No one needs the George treatment but rather a sober decision to remove this middling GM from the mix, pronto. And I can’t wait to see when Cash Man is Seattle GM or Philly GM and is told to not spend any money and only sign minor league contrats like Ricciardi did this year with Toronto. That will be extremely amusing to the nth degree………

    27. YankCrank
      April 27th, 2009 | 11:32 am

      On the other hand , Cash Man spent a gazillion dollars when he already spends more than anybody else on payroll AND on drafting etc so on. It’s quite frankly a case of being poundfoolish, if anything.
      —-

      It’s always a tough argument with you butch. I seem to remember many occasions this winter when you were admittedly campaigning for Cash to go out and sign Tex because we didn’t have enough offense. I made my case that Swish was enough there because I didn’t want the payroll to swell, but many times you came back and said we needed Tex all while knowing it would take close to $200 million to sign him.

      Now, one three game losing streak in Boston and it’s Cash fault for spending tons of money on players, including Tex, and not developing them. It’s a classic example of Cash being wrong no matter the outcome with you. He’s either terrible because he doesn’t develop players, or terrible because he went out and bought “an All Star without heart.” Just extremely hypocritical, if you ask me.

    28. butchie22
      April 27th, 2009 | 11:37 am

      ken wrote:

      One fact in Cashman’s defense: rebuilding a farm system takes time measured in years. The ‘buy a championship’ mentality that took hold in the early 00’s is only now starting to turn around.
      Big Stein might fire a coach or two, but he also insisted on acquiring big name aging players at the expense of developing youth.

      Cash Man took total control over three years ago. Epstein took over Boston and they were just one game from the world Series in 2003. And we all know what happened in 2004, during all that time Epstein and Co were wisely wanting to build from within. We saw the results this weekend. As for Cash Man, his experiment from building from within was the failed Hughes/Kennedy Experiment of last year. And was Melky a rousing success? I shudder to think that things might get worse this year BUT with Cash Man at the helm hope for the best, expect the worst.

    29. Raf
      April 27th, 2009 | 11:40 am

      Incorrect, there was a discrepency in spending because Cash Man didn’t develop, sign and/or trade for players that would make his team better.
      ——–
      uhhhhhh, yeah…

      Nady (TRADE) replaced Abreu, Swisher (TRADE) replaced Giambi. Texiera became available, so he was signed. As well as he should’ve been, keeping him away from the Red Sox.

      As for drafting & developing, let’s see who’s on the 25 man roster as of 4/27

      25-man Roster:

      Infielders:
      M. Teixeira: MLFA
      R. Cano: NDFA
      D. Jeter: Drafted
      A. Berroa: MiLFA
      R. Peña: NDFA
      Outfielders:
      J. Damon: MLFA
      B. Gardner: Drafted
      N. Swisher: Trade
      H. Matsui: NDFA
      M. Cabrera NDFA

      Catchers:
      J. Posada: Drafted
      J. Molina: Trade

      Starting Pitchers:
      C. Sabathia: MLFA
      A. Burnett: MLFA
      A. Pettitte: MLFA
      J. Chamberlain: Drafted

      Relief Pitchers:
      M. Rivera: NDFA
      D. Marte: Trade
      J. Veras: MiLFA
      E. Ramirez: MiLFA
      P. Coke: Drafted
      J. Albaladejo: Trade
      D. Robertson: Drafted
      M. Melancon: Drafted
      S. Jackson: Trade

      Out of 25 guys, 11 were developed by the Yanks.

    30. Raf
      April 27th, 2009 | 11:44 am

      during all that time Epstein and Co were wisely wanting to build from within. We saw the results this weekend.
      —————-
      Yep, homegrown Red Sox products like Jason Bay, JD Drew, David Ortiz, Mike Lowell, Saito, etc took it to the Yanks :)

    31. butchie22
      April 27th, 2009 | 12:39 pm

      YankCrank wrote:

      On the other hand , Cash Man spent a gazillion dollars when he already spends more than anybody else on payroll AND on drafting etc so on. It’s quite frankly a case of being poundfoolish, if anything.
      —-
      It’s always a tough argument with you butch. I seem to remember many occasions this winter when you were admittedly campaigning for Cash to go out and sign Tex because we didn’t have enough offense. I made my case that Swish was enough there because I didn’t want the payroll to swell, but many times you came back and said we needed Tex all while knowing it would take close to $200 million to sign him.
      Now, one three game losing streak in Boston and it’s Cash fault for spending tons of money on players, including Tex, and not developing them. It’s a classic example of Cash being wrong no matter the outcome with you. He’s either terrible because he doesn’t develop players, or terrible because he went out and bought “an All Star without heart.” Just extremely hypocritical, if you ask me.

      The thing with Teix was this, if Cash Man was going to spend money wisely on a premium free agent like Teix so be it. Their greatest area of need was clutch hitting. And Teix gave them improved defense at that position as well. To me Swisher is not that great of a player. I didn’t see such an improvement with his coming to the Yanks and the departure of Giambi and Abreu. The addition of Swisher simply wasn’t enough to overcome the clutch problem especially with his off year with the Pale Hose.And Swisher is cooling down now, a surprise,unh? I also wanted Teix away from Boston quite frankly where he would have hurt the Yankees. In addition, there was no Nick Johnson waiting in the wings or the second coming of Mattingly or Bambtino. Long term Teix could be amongst a core of players that they can built the team around as the next generation so to speak as well. I’m not happy that Teix wanted that much money and got that much money, BUT he is the exception to the rule. He is a player that can be a part of the solution as opposed to being part of the problem despite his hefty salary.And to give Cash man credit on this, he didn’t want him going to Boston and did a good job on landing him. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile! Hopefully by the time Cash Man leaves or is fired, the next GM can spend time building around a Teixeira and Arod as opposed to spending another 20 million dollars for every player. In essence, if they can develop players to replace the current old farts with players like AJAX and the next generation of shortstop catchers and the rest of the outfield from within, that would be great. But I think that Cash Man will try to land Jason Bay for a ton of bricks next year ,too if the Yanks don’t make it to the Big Dance.

      Where the Yankees went overboard is when they got BOTH, CC and AJ. That was too much in my opinion. One of those two would have had been fine(CC not Burnit) and the Yankees bid something like 60 mill more for the Brewers for CC. I never wanted AJ here at all and I think that the Yankees spent too much to get him and it might hurt them in the long run. In addition, I was perturbed when Arod opted out and the Yankees paid so much to get him back! The Yanks needed Arod’s offense no doubt BUT he could have done the team a favor and keep that last 3 years at 16 mill to hold the line and help the team so to speak.

      In addition, where the hell did I say that I was happy that they went to 200 million payroll wise? Even 150 million is not a normal payroll as it is. Correct me if ,I’m wrong I always talk about how terrible it is. If Cash Man had drafted properly etc son on, this payroll wouldn’t have been so obscene.I also wanted Teix way before Cash man jumped the gun on Charlie Cheeseburger and Burnit. And I criticized them during the winter for jumping the gun BECAUSE their great weakness was clutch hitting NOT pitching.So that point is quite irrelevant. I also want the team to win and I believe that Teix is an asset in a long term fashion towards that direction. The argument that you are missing is that Cash Man spends a gazillion dollars on drafting,player signings and everything else and is the JV to Boston now. All because he hasn’t drafted properly or created a farm system like Boston’s. That is ripe for criticism.

      So my argument stands, after one understands that spending money wisely on two choice free agents is one thing BUT three and overpaying for two of them is not. It always boils down to one thing though, Cash Man doesn’t draft properly so instead of having a Kokilis at first we buy one, Teix. BUT Teix is a player that is worth buying for several different reasons: A Better Defense B Better offense C keeping him away from Boston D Part of a long term plan.The Yanks needed pitching they buy that too. I never wanted Burnit at all and CC should have been paid much less. Just because I wanted Teix doesn’t mean that I don’t want Cash man to draft properly , spend money wisely AND keep the payroll at a certain level BECAUSE he signed these three players because his player selection and trades were deficient and had to cover those holes somehow.

      Last but not least, Cash Man can’t win when Theo Epstein helped the Red Sox win two World Series in the last 5 years and meanwhile the Yankees are holding the candle AND even worse are no longer the model franchise! That is the ultimate argument against Cash Man, his results. I’m already fed up with the Pro-Cash Man Brigade BUT if Boston wins another title(which they probably will in the next few years)and the Yankees are sitting there holding their thumbs, tolerance will turn into belligerence!:) Although, it seems to have happened already.HAHAHAHAHA….

    32. butchie22
      April 27th, 2009 | 12:57 pm

      Raf wrote:

      during all that time Epstein and Co were wisely wanting to build from within. We saw the results this weekend.
      —————-
      Yep, homegrown Red Sox products like Jason Bay, JD Drew, David Ortiz, Mike Lowell, Saito, etc took it to the Yanks

      Youk(the latest version of a Yankee killer), Pedroia, Bowden,Masterson, Hunter Jones, Papelbon,Lester, Manny Del Carmen and Ellsbury( he didn’t just chump the Yankees, he shamed and embarrased them) were all a big part of that weekend.And trust me you will remember that Ellsbury steal from second to score a run in the First game(to score the first run) and that steal home in the last game for a long time to come! An absolutely contrarian and ineffectual statement that fell on its face, Raf…better luck next time.

    33. ken
      April 27th, 2009 | 1:04 pm

      <>>

      1- Too early to know that they are ‘failures’.
      2- Cashman decided that getting CC as a FA in one year and keeping the prospects was better than paying Johan FA money and also losing prospects. It’s a very defensible position.
      3- Let’s not make all the young RS pitchers Cy Youngs just yet. As good as Bucholz has been he has also been lousy at times. Lester is the one inarguable pitching success for them. And remeber those two unknowns last night when they get bombed by KC.

    34. Corey
      April 27th, 2009 | 1:04 pm

      Bambtino was traded to the yanks, not brought up…also i’m not so convinced “AJAX” is the player everyone is thinking he’s going to be, a nice player but not the savior….
      ——–
      But I think that Cash Man will try to land Jason Bay for a ton of bricks next year ,too if the Yanks don’t make it to the Big Dance.
      ——–
      i think the sox will re-sign him, personally
      —-
      ======
      here the Yankees went overboard is when they got BOTH, CC and AJ. That was too much in my opinion. One of those two would have had been fine(CC not Burnit) and the Yankees bid something like 60 mill more for the Brewers for CC.
      ======
      lol. “burnit” and CC were overboard? You can say that even after Wang’s early collapse? if u signed 1 of them, that would mean hughes is in the rotation already, and u would call up whom to replace wang? Kennedy?
      ====
      And I criticized them during the winter for jumping the gun BECAUSE their great weakness was clutch hitting NOT pitching
      ======
      so what do YOU do then? you had a rotation that featured Sydney Ponson at the end…you re-sign him? What clutch hitters would you have gotten instead?

    35. ken
      April 27th, 2009 | 1:05 pm

      My intended quote in that last post:

      As for Cash Man, his experiment from building from within was the failed Hughes/Kennedy Experiment of last yea

    36. antone
      April 27th, 2009 | 1:06 pm

      It’s early..this series doesn’t tell us anything except that the Yankees bullpen sucks, which we already knew…the Sox hit when they are at home..once they go on the road again they won’t hit as well…they hit about a dozen popups off that wall in left in this series.

      I’m not worried about the starting pitching…or the hitting…the only worry I have is the bullpen…I think the starters will come around…but the bullpen looks like it could be a season long issue…this series is nothing to panic over though..it’s still April.

    37. Raf
      April 27th, 2009 | 1:07 pm

      The point, was that it took contributions from all players, no matter how they were acquired. But yeah, whatever…

      Did you even see the play that Ellsbury stole home? Pettitte went to a full windup and the infield was shifted to where Berroa was playing near short. How you manage to find that “shameful” and “embarrasing” to the point that you want the Yanks to drill him is beyond me.

      It’s a long season, no need to get bent out of shape in *April*

    38. antone
      April 27th, 2009 | 1:08 pm

      …I forgot to add that Melky should be in CF right now..Gardner is not hitting and Melky is…also I don’t like Girardi as manager…so I guess he worries me too…so you can add Girardi and the bullpen to my list of worries.

    39. Raf
      April 27th, 2009 | 1:10 pm

      the bullpen looks like it could be a season long issue
      ———–
      The bullpen will come around, there are plenty of arms between SWB and the ML club that can be effective.

    40. antone
      April 27th, 2009 | 1:18 pm

      The bullpen will come around, there are plenty of arms between SWB and the ML club that can be effective.
      —————-
      aren’t you assuming that the Yankees & Girardi will use those arms properly though? ;)

    41. Corey
      April 27th, 2009 | 1:45 pm

      might be the pen is just burnt out from CMW & companies short outings?

    42. ken
      April 27th, 2009 | 2:03 pm

      might be the pen is just burnt out from CMW & companies short outings?

      - – - – -

      Bingo!!!

    43. Raf
      April 27th, 2009 | 2:15 pm

      aren’t you assuming that the Yankees & Girardi will use those arms properly though? ;)
      ————
      :)

      In fairness, the pen was one of the better ones in the league last year.

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.