• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 4/27/09

Posted by on April 27th, 2009 · Comments (26)

Click here for more information about this entry.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 4/27/09

1. Bostowned
      April 27th, 2009 | 9:13 am

I had the game muted most of the night because 1) I loath ESPN and 2) Miller and Morgan drive me insane and if you factor Phillips into the mix; I wanted to kill someone. I always say how ESPN is Boston bias, last night was another show of that.

- They mentioned and showed clips of the Celtics and Bulls series. No mention of how the Cavs swept the Pistons or any other NBA playoff game.

- They mentioned the Bruins several times but said nothing about the other NHL playoff series.

- Mike Lowell botched a Jeter ground ball…no worries. Berroa botched a few hard hit balls and its replayed 50 times.

- 2 rookie Sox bullpen pitchers pitched well in the late innings and they were the talk of the broadcast. Mark Melcanon owned in his first MLB appearance….he got little mentioning.

- Mid game analysis of the Mark Teixeria signing showed “what the Yanks got….his great defense…” and “what the Sox lost….his great bat”. The Yanks didnt also get his great bat? Sox didnt also lose his great defense? They were trying way too hard to debunk the Teixeria signing without hurting Kevin Youkillis’ press. FYI guys, he WANTED to be a Yankee. Let it go.

- Can I get those stats Fox dropped on Saturday of Papelbon vs the Yanks in his career? It was something along the lines of 3 losses, 1 blown save and an ERA over 9. But yeah, Mo blew his first game of the year the other day against the team that’s seen him the most over his career.

- Anytime ESPN advertises baseball it shows and manually operated score board that displays the time for the game. Anyone notice that its…umm…Fenway Park’s score board? Hello? Is anyone out there? NY press….hello…can I get someone on this stuff please?

- Can I get some more shots of Theo Epstein? Why does anyone care that he is watching the game? Seriously. I think I counted 3 instances when Theo was dirtying up my TV screen.

- Lastly, this didnt happen last night but when going off on an ESPN rant I have to mention it because its such blatent bias for Boston. When Joba was in the bullpen and coming out in the 8th inning and blowing away the batters, then celebrating on the mound and pumping up the crowd….ESPN decided they had to discourage this. They made a spectacle of it by constantly referring to it as unprofessional and claiming that he was angering opposing batters. There were overblown reports on games when he blew the lead or gave up a few hits. His mound antics were constantly talked about on all ESPN shows, including shows such as Mike and Mike in the Morning where Mike Golic acknowledged that “Joba is not the only one who does this in baseball.”

Which is what I was screaming! Come on, where were these reports when Papelbon was having an orgasm on the mound? Where? How about K-Rod’s lunacy on the mound? Nothing? How can that be? Its so disgraceful isnt it? Arent they angering the opposing batters too? Isnt it unprofessional? Why is Joba’s antics more publicized then the others? Is it because Joba was a better bullpen pitcher then Papelbon? Is it because his reactions pumped up home crowd, particularly in games when the Yanks werent leading when he came in?

This stuff eventually got to Joba’s head. Dont believe me? Does he do it anymore? No. Has he hit 100 MPH at all since being a starter? No. Is he as dominate a pitcher starting as he was seting up Mo? No. Even though Torre openly told the press that “…I told him to keep doing it” ESPN eventually prevailed. Has K-Rod and Papelbon stopped their celebratory antics on the mound? Certainly not.

2. butchie22
      April 27th, 2009 | 12:47 pm

Funny that,Bostowned. I noticed that MLB loves to play a lot of NESN feed from Remdog and Orsillo,too. I mean there is a bias towards Beantown no doubt BUT ESPN has a Northeastern bias towards the Mets, the Yanks,the Phils and the Red Sox. Yeah, Ravech and Berthiaume are in the tank for Boston with all that Nation crap.It stung for Yankee fans BUT rest assured the season is not over.

3. ken
      April 27th, 2009 | 1:07 pm

Not sure where else to post this or how to send it directly to Steve:

I can’t get the Reply and Quote buttons to work.

4. April 27th, 2009 | 1:12 pm

Ken – what browser are you using?

April 27th, 2009 | 1:14 pm

FWIW, I can’t get them to work either, but it may be a firefox issue. I haven’t tried the feature using the other browsers I use.

6. Corey
      April 27th, 2009 | 1:58 pm

hmm interesting article at RAB about catcher’s ERA…I wonder if the yanks good pitching from last year was more of a proponent of molina calling a great game then their actual effectiveness? maybe when i have time ill calculate molina’s catcher’s era for his yankee tenure vs posada in the same time frame…unless, does anyone know a site that tracks this stat?

7. ken
      April 27th, 2009 | 2:01 pm

Firefox and Safari on Mac. I also tried Firefox on Windows. Pressed the buttons but no response.

April 27th, 2009 | 2:13 pm

————
      Yeah, I got the same results, so I think it may be an IE-only feature.

9. ken
      April 27th, 2009 | 2:22 pm

Yeah, I got the same results, so I think it may be an IE-only feature.

—-

I’m no geek, but buttons like these work for me on other sites.

April 27th, 2009 | 2:25 pm

————-
      b-r should be able to do it with their snazzy new format.

April 27th, 2009 | 2:29 pm

@ ken:

posting this using IE

ken wrote:

Yeah, I got the same results, so I think it may be an IE-only feature.
      —-
      I’m no geek, but buttons like these work for me on other sites.

Yep, apparently it’s a feature that can only be used with IE. Anyone else having a problem with the buttons using other browsers?

April 27th, 2009 | 2:30 pm

I’m no geek, but buttons like these work for me on other sites.
      —————
      It all depends on how they’re configured. Some pages act and display differently depending on browser and platform.

13. MJ
      April 27th, 2009 | 2:49 pm

——-
      I’m not sure I buy that. How to explain the good ERA when Posada was the primary catcher for Clemens/Pettitte/Moose from 2001-2003?

Wouldn’t the poor pitching from 2004-2008 give us pause that it’s not just the game being called back there but the guys throwing the ball?

Posada is by no means a good catcher, either with the glove or with the gameplan. But I can’t imagine that he’s got THAT big an impact on the game that his pitchers get whacked out there while Molina’s toss up goose-eggs.

14. Corey
      April 27th, 2009 | 3:57 pm

I’m no geek, but buttons like these work for me on other sites.
      ===
      i take offense to that, i’m no geek

15. Corey
      April 27th, 2009 | 3:59 pm

———-
      i say oveall the pitcher’s stuff has precedence no matter how the catcher calls a game…and the last few years, they’ve been dealing with pitchers with lesser stuff on the whole so that maybe game-calling takes more effect(albeit not this year)

16. Corey
      April 27th, 2009 | 4:03 pm

There is javascript bug on line 56…send that to the guy who wrote the site Steve

17. Corey
      April 27th, 2009 | 4:15 pm

which has to do with this block of code:

========
      function CF_Reply(oauthor) {
      var otextCommentArea = document.getElementById(“comment”);
      otextCommentArea.value += “@ ” + oauthor + “:\n”;
      otextCommentArea.focus();
      }
      ========

18. Corey
      April 27th, 2009 | 4:24 pm

lol without having any access to the code, i’ve found your problem…you have no id attributes named “comment”, so the variable otextCommentArea is null and you obviously can’t append a string to null, so you get en error and nothing happens

19. April 27th, 2009 | 9:00 pm

I tried to edit the JS – no luck. Sorry guys.

20. Corey
      April 27th, 2009 | 9:18 pm

because each comment has a unique id, u have to move the js into the part of the code that lists all the comments, and make a dynamic js method that is unique to each comment

21. Corey
      April 27th, 2009 | 9:19 pm

cause otherwise if u set each comments id to “comment”, it wouldn’t know which comment to reply to, and crash that way

April 27th, 2009 | 9:23 pm

I tried to edit the JS – no luck. Sorry guys.
      ———–
      Thanks. I don’t mind either way, I figured it was a browser issue. Hasn’t stopped me from commenting :D

23. Jeet
      April 27th, 2009 | 9:36 pm

2007:
      -A-Rod Walk-Off against Cleveland to Sweep series
      -Yankees Swept by BoSox
      -Can’t Hit with RISP
      -Long Losing Streak (9, I think)
      -Debut of Phil Hughes
      2009:
      -Melky Walk-Off against Oakland to Sweep Series
      -Yankees swept by Bosox
      -Still can’t hit with RISP
      -Long Losing streak (4 so far)
      -Phil Hughes debuts tomorrow

Parallels much?

24. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      April 27th, 2009 | 10:23 pm

Mark Melancon had to work his way out of a bases loaded, no out jam. That he did is a fine thing, but that he ended up in that position doesn’t say much about his performance. Was he excellent or was he lucky? Anyway you slice it he didn’t perform like Bowden, who went six up and six down.

And do you think it might be possible that Joba doesn’t thrown 100 because he’s a starter? Do you think it might be possible that Joba doesn’t pump his fist because he knows he’s not out of the game and has rarely come up with a late game clutch punch out because he is averaging about five innings a game and coming out in the middle of an inning?

But you think ESPN neutered him or something? Get a clue, pal. If Joba replaces Mo in the future, he’ll probably be touching 100 at times, and he’ll certainly be pumping his fist AFTER THE GAME IS OVER.

25. April 27th, 2009 | 10:24 pm

Jeet wrote:

Parallels much?

Sweet Jeet!

26. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      April 27th, 2009 | 11:00 pm

I’ll love those parallels if 2009 ends the same way 2007 did. :)