• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 4/28/09

Posted by on April 28th, 2009 · Comments (16)

Click here for more information about this entry.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 4/28/09

1. MJ
      April 28th, 2009 | 8:49 am

Last night I went to my first ballgame of the summer and I got a chance to see Citi Field in person.

I have to say, my first impression when getting off the train was that it was a gorgeous park from the outside. The Jackie Robinson Rotunda is nice enough although I wouldn’t go nuts or anything. It’s cool but too much is being made of it (“it” being the rotunda. Not enough can ever be made of Jackie Robinson the ballplayer and trailblazer).

Anyway, as I strolled around, I found myself really impressed with the whole place. It was gorgeous, had a very intimate feel, everyone on staff was incredibly nice and polite, the food was delicious, etc. I took two laps around the place and couldn’t believe that the Mets could do something so classy and understated and actually call something they put their hands on a success. In fact, by the 7th inning, I was getting alarmed that I hadn’t found any flaws in the place and that I might love the new ballpark a little too much.

Fortunately, the Mets (and their fans) rescued me from my temporary insanity. First, they played Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline” and had the lyrics to the song on the big screens. Like everything else about the Mets and their dim-witted fans, they blatantly ripped off the Red Sox tradition.

As we all know, the Mets and their fans are just closet-case Red Sox fans with twice the envy and inferiority complex. Sitting in Queens, NY listening to that stupid-ass song pretty much ruined what was a great night. But it wasn’t until the 9th inning when the Yanks-Tigers game went final that sealed the deal. The ENTIRE section I was sitting in started chanting “Yankees suck” at a guy that was wearing a Yanks t-shirt. People were screaming “SWEEP! SWEEP!” I don’t blame the Mets organization and their gorgeous new ballpark isn’t to blame but it still reflects the kind of mentality Mets fans have. I can’t be surrounding myself with that kind of swine.

Mets fans are grotesque. I can’t stand them. I hate the Red Sox organization (and their fans) but I don’t hate the Mets, or their players. I only hate their fans. They ruined the ballpark for me.

2. clintfsu813
      April 28th, 2009 | 9:25 am

Many years of being the 2nd best team in NY will leave a fanbase classless. Same with having 86 years between championships.

3. Corey
      April 28th, 2009 | 9:33 am

truer words were never said, amen brother

4. April 28th, 2009 | 9:38 am

MJ, I know it’s a new park and all, but, why go to a Mets game? It’s like walking through hell in a gasoline suit.

5. April 28th, 2009 | 9:41 am

Hey, guess what I get to do today for the first time since January 13, 2009?

6. MJ
      April 28th, 2009 | 9:44 am

——–
      Free tickets. I won’t ever say no to free baseball.

7. Corey
      April 28th, 2009 | 9:45 am

——-
      i can’t lie i want to get into Citi Field…I’ve passed by it quite a few times, and it looks fantastic

8. Corey
      April 28th, 2009 | 9:48 am

say hi to ted for me

April 28th, 2009 | 10:04 am

—————-
      Eh… I’ve been to a few Mets games, it doesn’t bother me that much. I’m looking forward to taking in a game in Citi Field if the opportunity arises.

10. MJ
      April 28th, 2009 | 10:05 am

Hey, guess what I get to do today for the first time since January 13, 2009?
      ———-
      Hint?

11. April 28th, 2009 | 10:06 am

MJ – didn’t Milton Friedman say there’s no such thing as free Mets baseball?

Corey – good catch. But, it will be a phoner today…FWIW.

April 28th, 2009 | 2:15 pm

Corey – good catch. But, it will be a phoner today…FWIW.
      ———
      You can still say “Hi” :)

13. clintfsu813
      April 28th, 2009 | 8:38 pm

Wow..this team looks clueless at the plate 1-9

14. butchie22
      April 28th, 2009 | 8:54 pm

Raf wrote:

—————-

Same here. Raf, you truly a gentleman and I mean that sincerely, though I differ in my opinion. It’s all good …especially if it’s bloody free! Someone mentioned fans of Mets and Red Sox etc? I love the Red Sox organization, I wish the Yankees had a front office that was even half as smart. If I could trade Theo for that dolt, Cash Man in a second I would!They have smarter people running that team while the Yanks have Yankee Inc people like Trost and Levine who give a damn only about filthy lucre. Their fans are animals that’s for sure. They took the worst aspect of Yankee fandom (arrogance and superiority) and Mixed it with Massholishness!

The Mets? My father is a Mets fan, so it’s kinda dicey. I never liked Mets fans , they are a bit much. Then again they are New Yorkers, what do you expect? Sweet Caroline? Yeah, that’s a ripoff but that’s the Mets for ya.

BTW Yankee fans can be ruffians and assholes,too AND rude. I like that edge because when people come into Yankee Stadium that raw edge was always an advantage. There are a lot of Yankee fans that are savage AND I want to keep it like that. It makes the other teams uncomfortable. I had heard from my brother that some of the recent crowds were more docile. Shameful bring the jeerers back!

15. butchie22
      April 28th, 2009 | 8:59 pm

clintfsu813 wrote:

Wow..this team looks clueless at the plate 1-9

Clint, that RISP/run production problem is a holdover from last year AND the fact that on any given day their 7-9 is an NL style lineup potentially speaking. Things will change when Arod comes back but by how much?

16. clintfsu813