• April 29th @ The Tigers

Posted by on April 29th, 2009 · Comments (7)

Ugh. That was closer, than it needed to be, in the end.

When Alba-la-no-no was pitching in the 9th, did David Cone, in the YES booth, really say something like ‘Sometimes you think you’re gonna cruise in a game like this, and, before you know it, they start talleywackering you around….’?

Now, that was a first! I’ve never heard a Yankees broadcaster, on the air, use the word “talleywacker.” Awesome.

By the way, nice game for Joba in this one.

Getting back to “firsts,” did someone really pull a fire alarm at Comerica during the game? I’ve been watching baseball since 1973 and I’ve never seen that before…as far as I can remember.

Speaking of false alarms, it looks like Jack Black might be back. Rock on.

Comments on April 29th @ The Tigers

1. yagottagotomo1
      April 29th, 2009 | 10:48 pm

Way to bury the lead here…..Joba looked stiff at the start, but his last 4 innings were what we saw from him last season. Also great were the 7 innings on just 88 pitches.

2. handtius
      April 29th, 2009 | 10:56 pm

Hey Steve, how’s Swish doing? I think you my have jumped the gun, or maybe not. We won’t know till Octobers over. wink wink.

3. JeremyM
      April 29th, 2009 | 10:59 pm

Those two homers from Swisher really came in handy.

4. Evan3457
      April 29th, 2009 | 11:02 pm

Maybe they should make the Tiger fans raise their hands, sign the log, and give them the masonite pass before they can go to the bathroom.

That might cut down on the phony fire alarms a bit…

5. Evan3457
      April 29th, 2009 | 11:11 pm

yagottagotomo1 wrote:

Way to bury the lead here

Actually, the correct phrase is “bury the lede”, though the incorrect “bury the lead” has become acceptable in modern times due to popular use.

Yours in pedantic pecksniffianism,
      George Q. Saffire III
      sitting in my office in front of my rolltop desk in my red bowtie, changing the ribbon on my Understroke Remington #6
      ==============================
      Seriously, you’re right; the top story of this game was Joba, especially after he relaxed when the Yanks gave him the big lead and he just let it fly like we havn’t seen since before the shoulder injury last year, and struck out 5 out of 6 hitters at one point.

The 2nd story would be Swisher, the 3rd would be the continued resurgence of Matsui. The flop of Albaladejo would be 4th, and Mariano should’ve gotten some pitches sometime since Friday anyway. He was on 4 days’ rest.

6. Pat F
      April 29th, 2009 | 11:13 pm

we’re going to need steve to write more posts about how we need a new right fielder, and fast!

7. clintfsu813
      April 30th, 2009 | 8:10 am

Its a good day when the Yanks win and Tampa, Toronto and the O’s all lose. Boston should have lost…stupid Cleveland!