• Roberts Book: A-Rod’s PED Use More Than Admitted & He Gave Away Pitches To Opponents

Posted by on April 30th, 2009 · Comments (30)

If you heard a noise this morning that sounded like “Awwww, crap!,” it was the collective sound of Yankees fans across the east end of America waking up and reacting to hearing this news…

As per the Daily News today:

Alex Rodriguez may have bulked up with steroids as early as high school – and was suspected of juicing while playing for the Yankees, a bombshell new book reports.

Although the slugger insists he dabbled in steroids only while with the Texas Rangers, the book “A-Rod” strongly suggests he didn’t give up performance enhancers when he came to New York.

Sports Illustrated writer Selena Roberts, who broke the story that A-Rod flunked a steroid screening in 2003, reveals fellow Bombers nicknamed the third baseman “B—h T–s” in 2005.

That was after he put on 15 pounds in the off-season and seemed to develop round pectorals, a condition called gynecomastia that can be caused by anabolic steroids, she writes.

In addition, an unnamed major-leaguer is quoted as saying Rodriguez and steroid-tainted pitcher Kevin Brown were seen together with human growth hormone – HGH – in 2004.

Jose Canseco, an ex-teammate and friend of Rodriguez who accused him of steroid abuse even before last year, believes A-Rod was on ‘roids in pinstripes.

“I absolutely think Alex is using HGH,” he said. “Probably a combination of growth and steroids.”

Canseco said he believes Rodriguez’s steroid use goes back to his teens, when he was a high school standout in Miami.

“Was he on steroids in high school?” he said. “I think probably so. I worked out with him when he was 18. He could lift almost as much as I could.”

Rodriguez put on 25 pounds of muscle between his sophomore and junior years, and word was that his connection was a dog kennel owner.

A former high school teammate told Roberts the future No.1 MLB draft pick was on steroids and his coach knew it.

Another student said the son of coach Rich Hofman admitted he saw Rodriguez use steroids.

Hofman said it was news to him. “Whatever he was doing, he was doing it somewhere else,” he said.

Roberts dishes up a highly unflattering portrait of A-Rod as a needy me-firster who had to have his ego constantly stroked.

In one shocking disclosure, the book accuses A-Rod of “pitch tipping” when he was with the Rangers – letting a friendly opponent at the plate know which pitch was coming in lopsided games.

Rodriguez expected players he helped would do the same for him when he was having an off night and needed to get his batting average up and it wouldn’t affect the outcome of the game.

I suspect that Bud Selig could (or should) be interested in the suggestion that A-Rod intentionally tipped pitches. That borders on game fixing – in the sense that it could impact the run spread in a game…and it would help or hurt some gamblers.

Gynecomastia? Well, maybe that would explain this?

Yeah, I know that was from 2007…and, I was just joking on that….

Back to the serious side of this…whether this news has some teeth behind it, or not, it’s still yet another distraction in Yankeeland – thanks to having Alex Rodriguez on the team. Way to go Hank Steinbrenner!

I’m sure that many Yankees fans will want to make Selena Roberts out to be the villian here and say things like “Big deal” and “There’s no proof to any of this” and “Who cares?” But, that’s not going to stop the media and many other baseball fans from feeding off this news.

Oh, boy, are the next two weeks going to be something in Yankeeland…and, sadly, it will have nothing to do with what’s happening on the field…

Comments on Roberts Book: A-Rod’s PED Use More Than Admitted & He Gave Away Pitches To Opponents

1. April 30th, 2009 | 8:38 am

A few too many “weasel words” in these excerpts/cribs for my taste.

If you’re writing and you’re using phrases like “may have” or “seen together” and rely heavily on unattributed or anonymous material it means you think you have it, but you ain’t got it.

Also, just for grins, I’d like to point out that when A-Rod was 18, it was the 1993-1994 offseason after he debuted for Seattle, and Canseco was rehabbing torn elbow ligament after his “pitching career” ended as a Texas Ranger. Is it really shocking that A-Rod could out lift a crippled Canseco?

2. YankCrank
      April 30th, 2009 | 8:59 am

Way to go Hank Steinbrenner!
      —-

I wasn’t a regular reader of the blog in 2007, so i’m curious as to what your reaction to resigning A-Rod was Steve? Were you all for it or against it? The post you linked to seems to straddle the line on the issue, were you happy or pissed?

Also, let’s be honest. Is any of this a shock? We knew it was coming at some point, that point is now and as Yankee fans we have a choice to make. Do you greet A-Rod based on the revelations in this book and the tabloids by booing him and hating on him, or do you greet him as a major contributor who the team has sorely missed to the millionth degree…and be happy he’s back on your side for a championship run? I’d rather see him win the ring than take part in trying to bring him down…but that’s just me.

3. MJ
      April 30th, 2009 | 9:17 am

——-
      Agree completely. Not enough Yankee fans think the way you do though.

4. April 30th, 2009 | 9:57 am

YankCrank wrote:

Via the link that I shared here, you can see that I wrote: “There was a part of me that was really looking forward to the end of A-Rod’s Big Apple Circus.”

And, that pretty much summed up my feelings at that time. I wasn’t all for it or against it. I wasn’t pissed. It’s probably fair to say I was disappointed – because, again, as I wrote, I was looking forward to not having to witness the circus anymore…and then Hank went and gave the circus the moon and the stars to come back…

Now, that said, I fully understood the impact of having his bat vs. not having his bat, etc. So, for those who thought this move made sense – because of the offensive impact – I wouldn’t fight them on that.

Would I rather root for the guy, support him, if it means getting a ring rather than lament over him?

To be candid, I’d rather root for a team that I love, because they’re easy to love and to root for, even if they’re a team that’s not going to win a ring – rather than force myself to root for players who are hard to root for, because of the things they do, don’t do, and the way they conduct their business, even if them being here means the team should be a super-power capable of being in a position to win a ring.

What I’m trying to say here is: If given the choice of having nine Barry Bonds and a ring from my team, or to have nine Hideki Matsuis and no chance to win a ring, give me the Matsui team because they’re easier to root for…ring or not. But, again, that’s me. I want to like the guys that I root for…rather than have to stomach them just because they post great numbers and happen to wear the uniform of the team that I grew up with and learned to love.

April 30th, 2009 | 9:58 am

——–
      All you need to do is run a search on the site :D

6. handtius
      April 30th, 2009 | 10:06 am

From what I’ve seen on this article, there is no solid evidence. I do not care about hearsay. I don’t care that someone heard from someones mother, who heard it from their brother-in-law who heard it from the the family dog, etc., etc. I also don’t care. Just let him play.

April 30th, 2009 | 10:18 am

————-
      Given the general public, and their hunger for “ARod News” you KNOW that isn’t going to happen.

8. yagottagotomo1
      April 30th, 2009 | 10:19 am

Steve, as you said, its hard to say its not a big deal just because of the certain ESPN reaction. I personally dont care anymore, but its sure to be asked of A-Rod many times. That being said, Im not sure ESPN is going to make as big a deal as you think- it will be annoying for a bit, but nothing like what we had at the original revelation.

9. Bruiserv
      April 30th, 2009 | 10:21 am

Obviously the timing of Ms. Roberts’ “Book” coincides with ARod coming back to MLB, so she can get rich. Phrases like “He probably did” and “Was seen with” are ridiculous. I guess if I’m seen with the neighborhood crack dealer obviously that means that I am a either a fellow crack dealer or a drug addict. Steroids and all other PED’s have been in sports since the 1960′s. There was a pitcher who was a team mate of Hank Aarons who said they were all taking roids. The only thing that has really changed from those days to now is the media. I think this whole sordid affair is nothing but a witch hunt. I will not spend a dime on a newspaper magazine or on the lousy book. But it appears dirtbags like you are feeding on this stuff. Bon Appetit.

April 30th, 2009 | 10:27 am

Dirtbags? Really?

11. yagottagotomo1
      April 30th, 2009 | 10:34 am

Yeah, Bruiser, that Steve is such a dirtbag, reporting a story that is going to be big news in Yankeeland on a Yankees blog!!! Gasp!!!!! Dirtbag!!!!

12. handtius
      April 30th, 2009 | 10:37 am

_________

I don’t expect it to happen that way. Just voice my opinion on the waste.

13. YankCrank
      April 30th, 2009 | 11:08 am

—-

Hey man, I understand the frustration that comes with stuff like this. I don’t like the A-Rod bashing either but there’s no need to call out Steve and label him a “dirtbag” for reporting Yankee-related news on his Yankee-related blog. We don’t need to make things personal here, we’re allowed to disagree.

14. Tresh Fan
      April 30th, 2009 | 11:46 am

Since High School, eh? So when the Yankees originally acquired A-Rod in ’04 he had been doing steroids for—what?—ten years? Funny how nobody knew about that.

15. MJ
      April 30th, 2009 | 12:01 pm

Funny how nobody knew about that.
      —–
      I find it hard to believe in the notion that nobody knew anything. Maybe I’m in the minority here but I just can’t imagine that.

16. Evan3457
      April 30th, 2009 | 12:16 pm

Can I interrupt here to say that I still don’t care about any of this?

Okey, bye. :)

17. Evan3457
      April 30th, 2009 | 12:19 pm

Oh, one other thing. I disagree with Steve about a lot of things, but calling him a “dirtbag” for posting news related to a Yankee player on a blog about the Yankees is kinda sad and silly, really.

18. MJ
      April 30th, 2009 | 12:49 pm

Can I interrupt here to say that I still don’t care about any of this?
      ———-
      I’m with you.

19. Pat F
      April 30th, 2009 | 1:30 pm

i’m with you guys. i just want to win baseball games, and a lot of them.

20. lardin
      April 30th, 2009 | 2:03 pm

I just think its enough already. The only thing that bothers me is the tipping pitches thing. But if a lot of players do this for their friends on other teams in blow out games, can/should we really be all that surprised/upset?

21. sonnymooks
      April 30th, 2009 | 2:10 pm

Bruiserv,

The teammate in question of Aarons that used steroids was Tom House (he was also once Nolan Ryans pitching coach, whom Ryan gives alot of credit for helping him in his career).

He is currently the pitching coach at USC (where Ian Kennedy went to college).

Steve isn’t a dirtbag for just posting what has been reported, its like forbidding anyone from talking about anything.

Selena Roberts is out and out scum, and I don’t feel that way because if A-Rod.

If you want to know what kind of garbage she is, type her name in, and then type in Duke Lacross.

She is trash.

22. Bruiserv
      April 30th, 2009 | 4:17 pm

I know about those Lacross kids, thats what really pissed me off. My son’s are friends with those kids and they went through hell because of that wench and her fabricated stories. When it was proven not to be true there was not one retraction article.Not even an apology! Now this imbecile here is helping to push her smear campaign!!! Thats just not right!!! If he was fair he’s be bashing that fact that her reports of ARod being seen with Kevin Brown, with no proof of HGH use and that stealing signs crap is embarrassing!!!

23. butchie22
      April 30th, 2009 | 4:31 pm

Of all the things I’ve heard abot Aroid, this tipping pitches stuff is definitely the straw that broke the camel’s back. What is wrong with this effing guy, mentally speaking? He ‘s like an attention whore with all his outside actions,now he was helping opposing players? WTF! Like I said about this headcase, he brings all this upon himself. I can’t kill the messenger, though she was very aggressive in getting her story. Either she is a man hating lesbian or is obsessed with Arod in some form.

24. Corey
      April 30th, 2009 | 4:34 pm

Either she is a man hating lesbian or is obsessed with Arod in some form.
      ——–
      flawless logic if i’ve ever seen it.

i’ve been waiting for some1 to put the connection together…but alas, ill just come out and say it…”is that why A-rod always seems to pile on stats?”

25. sonnymooks
      April 30th, 2009 | 4:45 pm

The fact that she didn’t retract was bad enough, I remember her comments after the whole case was exposed.

In essence, she had a smug attitude that was clear she wanted them to go to jail anyway (even though they were innocent).

That said, I doubt the tipping pitches story, seriously, he’s been in the league enough years with both friends and people who hate him, that thats the kind of thing that would have came out a long time ago.

We’ll ignore the fact, that this “favor” would have to apply only to infielders (since outfielders wouldn’t be able to return said favor), and then, also, based on who can see the signs, that means only short stops and 2nd basemen.

I’ll be dollars to cents, that out of that small group….she won’t have a single direct on the record quote.

ANd also, based on her article about a-rod involving real estate…..she is obsessed with A-rod, that story was just downright embarrassing.

26. Corey
      April 30th, 2009 | 4:47 pm

that thats the kind of thing that would have came out a long time ago.
      =====
      not if a lot of people do it

27. butchie22
      April 30th, 2009 | 4:50 pm

Corey wrote:

Either she is a man hating lesbian or is obsessed with Arod in some form.
      ——–
      flawless logic if i’ve ever seen it.

BUT one of the Aroid/Afrod Legion of Hate, will question those stats anyway. Particularly, his clutchness anyway! It gets nutty and nuttier with this guy all the time………

28. lisaswan
      April 30th, 2009 | 5:55 pm

Speaking of Duke Lacrosse, I interviewed KC Johnson, the Durham-in-Wonderland blogger who helped prove the players’ innocence, to get his opinion on Selena Roberts. While he said A-Rod had “no credibility,” he also told me that “nothing that she says or writes should be accepted unless it can be independently verified.” Here’s the link to what he told me (more quotes included):

29. butchie22
      April 30th, 2009 | 6:06 pm

lisaswan wrote:

Swan, quite frankly she was not the only one that jumped/rushed to judgement on the Lacrosse team. To be fair, the press already had their minds made up on those kids from the day the story came out. BUT honestly, with Arod with his past of doing Roids and BSing along with his other publc nightmare relations with his tenure is anyone shocked by anything this guy has done? Yes, Roberts has an unusual mania for Arod no doubt but this Guy is becomely increasingly indefensible.

30. JeremyM
      April 30th, 2009 | 6:52 pm

I agree butchie as far as her not being the only one, but she was over the top in her condemning of those lacrosse players, and frankly, just because she wasn’t the only one doesn’t excuse her one bit.

This book is trash. Even if a lot of it is true- and I’m skeptical based on the evidence being presented, with no names next to the allegations-it is still trash. Are we as baseball fans really at a point where we need this level of alleged dirt on a guy that hits a ball for a living, even if he is paid tremendously well to do so? This trash culture in America is really reaching it’s limit I think.