• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 4/30/09

Posted by on April 30th, 2009 · Comments (11)

Click here for more information about this entry.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 4/30/09

1. YankCrank
      April 30th, 2009 | 1:00 pm

I see very little mention anywhere about Bobby Abreu’s return to the Bronx tonight. I know he had a short 2 1/2 year stint with the Yanks, and we all know his defense almost eliminated any offensive production he put up, but what do you think the reaction will be like?

Also, at any point this year have you missed him and wished he was back?

2. MJ
      April 30th, 2009 | 1:06 pm

what do you think the reaction will be like?

Also, at any point this year have you missed him and wished he was back?
      ——-
      I hope the reaction is positive. I really liked Bobby and enjoyed his time with the team. While I wouldn’t expect some sort of crazy celebration for him, I do hope that fans stand and clap before his first AB.

Have I missed him this year? No, probably not. Swisher has done the job capably and his personality is easy to like (not that Bobby’s wasn’t, it’s just different).

3. Evan3457
      April 30th, 2009 | 1:31 pm

Personally, I liked Bobby Abreu, even though he never ran into walls and stuff like that.

As a player, even though he’s still a good hitter, I’m glad the Yanks let him go. If they ever want to win again, they have to get top players who can hit a lot, but also not be butchers or rangeless wonders in the field.

Mark Teixiera is an example. Well, when he starts hitting, he’ll be an example.

You can win with one Abreu, or maybe an Abreu and a Giambi, but you can’t win with an Abreu, a Giambi, a Jeter, and a post-30 Damon in center field.

The strain on the pitchers in terms of extra runners and extra outs makes the staff uncertain, lacking confidence, and that’s no way to pitch.

Though Abreu’s offensive production may bounce up and down for a couple of years yet, the overall trend is clearly down. In the post-steroid era, the Yanks won’t be able to count on players older than 32 to maintain their production, except for really top, top players.

Are they going to miss him in some spots, especially where Swisher is batting and not striking out is crucial? Yeah, they will. But they won’t miss him going back on the track to get a ball with 2 out and 2 men on in the 7th inning of a close game.

And even if he has a terrific year, and Swisher slides downhill, I still think Cashman made the right call on Abreu.

4. YankCrank
      April 30th, 2009 | 1:46 pm

—–

Just to speak to strengths/weaknesses, Swisher is no beast in RF. He’s league average there which is a good upgrade on Abreu and his -24 UZR/150 from last year, but Swish is actually an above average, skilled left fielder. His arm is also better catered to left because, well, he doesn’t have a rocket arm. If Johnny walks and Swish is kept around next year he should really be moved to left.

As for Bobby, it’s hard to tell if he’s missed right now. We’re missing Alex which hurts us regardless of who we have, and Tex really hasn’t done any sort of hitting yet.

Speaking of Tex, i’ve been very, very patient with Tex all year but he’s starting to slightly get on my nerves. Defense aside, I hope he starts to hit like a $20 million player this weekend because we need it. We can’t just depend on Cano, Swish and Matsui to provide all of our offense for much longer.

5. Corey
      April 30th, 2009 | 2:24 pm

i saw swisher almost run through the wall for a ball, ’nuff said

6. YankCrank
      April 30th, 2009 | 2:42 pm

i saw swisher almost run through the wall for a ball, ’nuff said
      —–

haha, that was a very welcome change from the last few years. agreed

7. butchie22
      April 30th, 2009 | 4:46 pm

Bobby”I hate Walls ” abreu? Look he did a good job with the Yanks, but I remember one of my cousins in Philly said.: he’s not a winning player. He was the big guy in Philly, they got rid of him and then the next year make the playoffs and we know what happened last year in Philly. I liked Abreu’s production and he was a solid player BUT maybe the mix had to be changed. Even though new additions like Teix and Swisher haven’t won anything either is it a better move long term for the team. Eliminating Giambi and Abreu from the mix eliminates a certain amount of production, so I miss Abreu from that standpoint. You know what you were gonna get from him.

And Teix has slow starts, so I would be patient with him along with Cheeseburger Charlie. It seems to be their MO BTW. So I’m patient because of their track record. But at at the same time do they have what it takes to play for the Yanks? it’s too early to tell BUT I think those two will be OK….. And Swisher was cooling off until recently, so was he providing all the offense with Cano and Matsui? It seems like Jeter along with Cano, Swisher and now Matsui(becoming more like Matsui recently) have been most successful the first month as an aggregate.

April 30th, 2009 | 5:01 pm

—————
      Abreu wasn’t the reason the Phils missed the playoffs while he was there.

April 30th, 2009 | 5:01 pm
    10. butchie22
      April 30th, 2009 | 5:57 pm

Raf wrote:

—————
      Abreu wasn’t the reason the Phils missed the playoffs while he was there.

You missed my point, Raf. Many people from/in Philly I’ve talked to and have heard on Philly radio chastised Abreu as a very soft player with them. They also knew about his fear of walls. To many in Philly, he was not a winning player. Abreu was the star player in Philly and many fans felt like he didn’t perform to their expectations. Many people felt that the team improved when he was excised. Quite frankly, the results speak for themselves. One piece of advice Raf,when you make a minimalistic statement sans qualification OR quantification as a counterpoint it lacks merit to say the least.

April 30th, 2009 | 6:46 pm

—————
      Because it’s pretty obvious that Abreu wasn’t the reason the Phils didn’t make the playoffs during his tenure there.

Merit? I’m refuting points brought up by people who listen to Philly sports radio, fer cryin’ out loud…

Anyway the Phils wins totals during and after the “Abreu era” were;

98: 75
      99: 77
      00: 65
      01: 86
      02: 80
      03: 86
      04: 86
      05: 88
      06: 85 (Abreu traded midseason)
      07: 89
      08: 92

Looks like the Phils as a team performed pretty consistent to me. 92 wins last year was the outlier, but it’s well within the range of what they have done over the years. And you can’t dismiss Mets late season swoons the past couple of years. They contended a few years, they stunk others.

So yeah, you’re right; the results do speak for themselves. Unfortunately, they don’t back up the claims of the people you speak to or the people who called in.