• Roberts Book: A-Rod Is An Insecure Prima Donna & Phony Hypocrite

Posted by on May 1st, 2009 · Comments (13)

And, in other news, cigarettes are bad for you, the sun will come up tomorrow, and Morganna Roberts will never fall through an open manhole…

Via the Daily News -

Alex Rodriguez was an insecure prima donna who made a clubhouse attendant load his toothbrush with toothpaste after every game in his three seasons with the Texas Rangers, a new book charges.

The Rangers were also required to send a basket of food to the controversial All-Star’s hotel suite during road trips, Sports Illustrated columnist Selena Roberts reports in “A-Rod.”

Many Texas teammates kept their distance from A-Rod, who they saw as a spoiled superstar. His relationship with other players didn’t improve when Rodriguez joined the Yankees in 2004.

During a series in Texas, Roberts writes, A-Rod went to a sex club while his wife, Cynthia, pregnant with their first child, was at home in New York.

Rodriguez also turned off teammates by bragging about wild nights with strippers – and by making clumsy passes at other players’ wives and girlfriends.

“He would use these corny pickup lines on a guy’s wife,” one former teammate told Roberts. “He just wanted to know that he could, not that he would act on it. Seemed like an ego thing.”

Comments on Roberts Book: A-Rod Is An Insecure Prima Donna & Phony Hypocrite

1. MJ
      May 1st, 2009 | 11:51 am

Although I don’t personally care for the kind of work Selena Roberts is doing here, I do think that the steroids revelation was at least a pertinent piece of reporting. The rest of this — the stuff you’re excerpting here — is irrelevant trash clearly meant to injure A-Rod.

Selena Roberts would’ve been wise to leave her book’s reporting to investigating the steroids issue. Everything else makes her look petty and reflects very poorly on her. It’s a shame that she or her publishers feel like we need to know that A-Rod went to sex clubs or anything like that. That’s totally beyond the scope of what is acceptable public information and should’ve been left alone.

In short, Roberts may be 100% true with everything she’s saying but she loses a lot of credibility when she goes off message. That is, unless her message is merely meant to humiliate A-Rod with salacious details of his private life which have nothing to do with baseball. Shame on her.

2. YankCrank
      May 1st, 2009 | 12:09 pm

Couldn’t have said it any better MJ. She may very well be 110% correct on everything, but what purpose does this serve? Why do we need to know that A-Rod had people load his toothbrush with toothpaste?

I know he’s A-Rod, and I know he can be a doucher sometimes, but I imagine if somebody went all Selena Roberts on my past life and interviewed everybody from my life back to high school, a lot of scandalous stuff would come out on me too. None of us are 100% clean and pristine, all of this crap is just so far off the intended message.

3. YankCrank
      May 1st, 2009 | 12:12 pm

—–

This is also, most likely, part of something was negotiated in his contract. Pedro Martinez was given a hotel sweet on every road game as part of his Mets contract, and I imagine he wanted specific food too. These things come with the players who have the highest contract demands, and in no way is it A-Rod’s fault, nor does it make him an animal if the Rangers agreed to do this for him. Just stupid.

4. lisaswan
      May 1st, 2009 | 12:16 pm

“His Bomber teammates regarded A-Rod as a phony and a hypocrite because he tried to project an All-American public image while pursuing a swinger’s lifestyle. ”

Eh, I’m calling nonsense on this. Roberts is projecting her own morality onto the players. Newsflash – many of them also cheat on their wives. And a good number of them are considered to be good family men as well.

Look, I can buy that A-Rod isn’t well-liked by his teammates. I can buy that teammates think A-Rod is a phony and a hypocrite. But I can’t buy that they feel that way “because he tried to project an All-American public image while pursuing a swinger’s lifestyle.”

You know why I think this is nonsense? Roger Clemens. For twenty years, he projected that whole family man image while secretly messing around on his wife with anything that moved. And I never heard of any teammate holding that against him.

5. lisaswan
      May 1st, 2009 | 12:20 pm

Oh, and it also shows that Selena Roberts didn’t tell the truth when she told Dan Patrick yesterday she didn’t talk about A-Rod’s affairs and sexuality in the book:

“I never wrote anything about his bedroom life,” Roberts said. “That was pure speculation on other people’s part.”

6. Corey
      May 1st, 2009 | 12:40 pm

it kind of bothers me that u link to your blog every comment…

7. May 1st, 2009 | 1:02 pm

For the record, Lisa is a buddy. And, I have no issue with her dropping a link once in a while…

8. Corey
      May 1st, 2009 | 1:14 pm

im just sayin, thats what the link where your name is for…after a while it starts to feel like im lookin at the lohud comments

9. lisaswan
      May 1st, 2009 | 1:18 pm

Thanks, Steve. The reason I linked to my blog is because, as I noted, just yesterday, Roberts was quoted on the radio saying she didn’t talk about A-Rod’s sex life in the book. Not only did she clearly do so, but her own publisher emphasized Alex’s “deviant personal life” in order to sell “A-Rod.” I included the evidence of this by including the link.

Look, I’m sure A-Rod’s a liar, a freak, and a sex-club client. And Roberts has the right to write about all that in the book. But if she’s going to lie about having done so, then I have a big problem with believing the more serious charges in the book.

10. Corey
      May 1st, 2009 | 1:21 pm

this is the last little nit pick but if u wanted to provide the evidence u coulda just linked to the SI article, just felt like a michael kay esque cheap plug thats all, i’ll leave it at that and not bring it up again

11. Evan3457
      May 1st, 2009 | 1:50 pm

In the movie Coming to America the King of Zamunda played by James Earl Jones, goes to his son’s apartment to confront Akeem, played by Eddie Murphy. Instead of Akeem, he finds the landlord (played by Fankie Faison) luxuriating in the hot tub, chomping on a cigar.

The King says: “You are NOT my son.”
      The landlord replies, deadpan: “I KNOW that.”
      =========================================
      Roberts: “A-Rod Is An Insecure Prima Donna & Phony Hypocrite”

Evan3457: “I KNOW that.”

OK, so it was a long way to go for that joke. But at least it was free.

May 1st, 2009 | 3:46 pm

lol

13. butchie22
      May 1st, 2009 | 3:52 pm

lisaswan wrote:

Lisa I have said derisive things about both Aroid and Selena Roberts. Arod is an accident waiting to happen AND Roberts seems like the ambulance chaser lawyer on the scene ready to sue him! There seems to be some strange pathologies at work here ,but where there is smoke there is fire. I am less pessimistic than you about Roberts, but she has a method to her madness. Either she is a man hating lesbian and/or she is so stuck on this guy like a fatal attraction. She lied, unh? She created bad will by not being forthcoming BUT that is mutually exclusive to the veracity of the content of the book. We can call her sleazy but the media will have a field day with this sleaze/garbage. In the end, Roberts seems to be mighty interested in Arod’s kinks, his infidelity to the nth degree where it might be too salacious. I wonder what in going on this obsessive, aggressive and to some, a most annoying reporter.