• May 4th vs. The Red Sox

Posted by on May 4th, 2009 · Comments (19)

With this game starting two hours late – and, bless those fans who are at the Stadium and who sat out that rain delay – I’m going to kick-off this game commentary now, as the Yankees bat in the bottom of the 3rd inning (at 10:30 pm ET), and then close it out tomorrow. (I get up at 5:30 am ET to go to work – and there’s no way I can stay up to provide commentary at the end of this game…whenever that happens.)

Phil Hughes has thrown 78 pitches through his first 3 innings. Yes, this is what I was worried about back on April 23rd. But, I’m willing to give Hughes a mulligan on this one. His start was pushed back a day. He’s pitching in terrible weather. It’s his first start ever at the new Stadium. Sure, to some, those sound like excuses. But, be that as it may, I want to see Phil Hughes’ third start in the majors – following his first against the Tigers and this one against the Red Sox – before making any judgements on whether the Phil Hughes of 2009 is the same ol’ Hughes or the new and improved Hughes.

At this moment, the bigger fish in my frying pan is the hope that I’ll wake up on Tuesday and hear about how the Yankees came back to win this game. Maybe on a Mark Teixeira grand slam in the bottom of the 14th inning….wouldn’t that be a nice story?

The morning after update: I ended up pushing it, staying up until the bottom of the 6th inning of this one, before turning in. So, it was 4-3, Boston, with the Yankees having 3 more shots at it when my head hit the pillow. As such, I was hoping to see a “W” when I woke up this AM. No luck. I’m starting to think it’s time to begin forming a “We should have went for Bay instead of Nady” lament. Worse, out of this game, is the news about Posada. Last time I checked, a catcher needs a workable hamstring. This could be very, very, bad news…

Lastly, on the Tim Bogar sign stealing thing…what’s new there? Remember Manny Ramirez and Yadier Molina in the 2004 World Series? This is what the Red Sox do…and, it’s part of the game. If the Yankees are upset about it, the answer is simple: Send a message and also do a better job at hiding your signs.

Comments on May 4th vs. The Red Sox

1. Corey
      May 5th, 2009 | 12:16 am

close…how bout 2 HR?

2. Evan3457
      May 5th, 2009 | 1:39 am

Actually, I would say that while this game cannot be considered a good or even an average game for Hughes, it was actually a step forward in his development.

Why forward? Because if Hughes had had such poor command, facing an ump with a moderately tight K-zome against the Sox grinding away AB after AB last year and gave up 3 doubles and a HR, he’d have been blasted out of the game by the 2nd. (Which, in fact, he was, last year.)

Instead, he kept each inning in check; didn’t let any inning get out of hand. One run scored on a PB, another on an off-the-end-of-the-bat blooper. He battled all the way to the end, and his last batter was a 10-pitch battle with Youkillis when he must have been running out of gas in his fourth straight tough inning. A battle that Hughes won.

The game was in bad shape when he left, but not out of hand. His stuff was good, not great, but his command was not there, for whatever reason(s).

So, no, not a good game at all, after all, he did allow 7 hits, some of them blasted, and 4 walks and 4 runs in 4 innings, but not a disaster, and another step up the learning curve. If he can take another step forward the next time he faces the Sox, he’ll be in the game with them.

3. MJ
      May 5th, 2009 | 8:52 am

———
      The Red Sox gave up Manny Ramirez to get Bay. What do you think the price would’ve been for the Yanks to get Bay? It would’ve been exorbitant, to say the least. Joba’s name would’ve been mentioned, as well as Hughes’s, and who knows what else.

As much as the Nady/Marte trade really hasn’t worked out, it’s better that they went that route than overpaying five-fold for Bay.

4. YankCrank
      May 5th, 2009 | 9:09 am

Another frustrating loss to the Sox. And just when you get used to telling yourself the Yanks are just treading water until A-Rod comes back, Jorge goes down with a big injury…quite possibly the one guy other than MO that would hurt us the most with a long absence. Ugh.

5. MJ
      May 5th, 2009 | 9:14 am

——-
      Seriously. I wonder if Jorge’s suddenly on the Matsui train where a once-durable player basically becomes broken down overnight.

6. butchie22
      May 5th, 2009 | 10:22 am

Quiet honest Jorgy is the de facto captain of the Yankees. His leadership and presence , in and off the field is very important. The Bay vs Nady argument? AT this point, it’s a woulda ,coulda, shoulda argument. who knew Nady would have been hurt? Cash Man doesn’t have the best track record at evaluating pitchers so what else is new(regarding Nady)? The Red Sox have very smart baseball people running their operations and oddly enough have not found a direct replacement for Manny, but a productive AND suitable one to their vision of the team. Cash Man will probably offer him 20 mill a year next year…..no doubt about that.

7. YankCrank
      May 5th, 2009 | 10:31 am

—-

Well, he is a 37-year-old catcher. We’re lucky that Jorgy has lasted this long behind the plate to be honest. It’s looking like Jorgy might become a DH a lot sooner than we had expected.

8. May 5th, 2009 | 11:13 am

MJ wrote:

Gave up Manny?

Funny. The way I remember that deal was that the Red Sox were looking for anyway possible to DUMP Manny because of his insubordinate attitude, salary and desire to get his options wiped and become a free agent at the end of the year. You make it sound like he was the most desired player in baseball at the time and it was a huge hit for the Sox to “give” him up. Not true. They were looking for anyway possible to get him off the team and out of town.

9. MJ
      May 5th, 2009 | 11:23 am

—–
      Whether or not they wanted to part ways with Manny, they nevertheless gave up one of the best righty-hitting run producers in baseball history for 1.5 seasons of cost-controlled Jason Bay. It’s not like the Red Sox just gave up a few cans of tuna fish and a pocketfull of lint.

As I wrote in my post, the cost of getting Bay to New York would’ve been exorbitant. I imagine it would’ve consisted of a Hughes/Joba centerpiece at minimum. Let’s not get sidetracked into the semantics of whether or not Manny was a pain in the ass or not. The fact remains that the Yanks didn’t have the parts available to get Bay from Pittsburgh.

Do you think the Yanks could’ve gotten Bay for Tabata and a bunch of C-level prospects? I sure don’t.

10. May 5th, 2009 | 11:28 am

MJ – what did the Pirates get for Bay?

11. butchie22
      May 5th, 2009 | 11:43 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

MJ wrote:
      Gave up Manny?

Steve, you’re right on this one. quite frankly, the Red Sox wanted to get rid of him years ago BUT his behavior became so insane that they had had enough. He had become a clubhouse cancer par excellence.The Sox paid Manny’s salary to get rid of him! That was a lot of moneyv to remove a player from a team.

12. MJ
      May 5th, 2009 | 11:48 am

MJ – what did the Pirates get for Bay?
      ——
      Bryan Morris, Andy LaRoche, Craig Hansen and Brandon Moss.

So what you’re saying is that the Pirates would’ve taken the same package we gave up for Nady/Marte and done it for Bay?

13. May 5th, 2009 | 12:10 pm

MJ – do you think, that, if the Yanks asked for Bay, they could not have bettered the offer of Bryan Morris, Andy LaRoche, Craig Hansen and Brandon Moss?

You said it would have cost Joba or Hughes. Is there anyone in the package that the Bucs got who is close to that?

What makes you think it would have cost the Yankees more than what they gave up for Nady/Marte?

May 5th, 2009 | 12:22 pm

You guys do realize that there was a 3rd team in the deal, right? The Bucs got players from both the Dodgers and the Sox.

May 5th, 2009 | 12:43 pm

———–
      Yep…

“If he was doing that, I think that’s wrong,” Molina said. “But that’s part of the game too. Probably next time I’ll hide it more. I think it’s my responsibility to hide signs.” – Jose Molina

16. bfriley76
      May 5th, 2009 | 2:03 pm

======
      Steve…I know you’re no fan of Cashman, but do you really think that if the price was the same for Bay as it was for Nady/Marte, he wouldn’t have made that deal?

17. May 5th, 2009 | 4:37 pm

bfriley76 wrote:

do you really think that if the price was the same for Bay as it was for Nady/Marte, [Cashman] wouldn’t have made that deal?

Maybe he would not have made it – I dunno? Maybe(?), in Cashman’s head, he’s thinking “If I take Nady, instead of Bay, I get Marte – and then I finally can shut up the people who are on my case about Felix Heredia, Gabe White, and all the other failed LOOGYs that I’ve brought on this team?” Or, maybe, Cashman is thinking “You know, Bay, he looks like John Olerud. And, if I take him, it will make people remember when Olerud was on the Yankees, in 2004 – and that will remind them about the horseshit pitching staff I built that year?”

Who knows what goes through Cashman’s mind, really? I don’t….

18. Corey
      May 5th, 2009 | 4:43 pm

lol i hope its neither of those thoughts, that’s for sure

19. May 16th, 2009 | 10:56 pm

[...] was just a few days ago, on May 4th, where I said it would be nice to see Teixeira have a game like the one that Jason Giambi [...]