• SNY WheelHouse: Who’s Better, Cash Or Theo?

    Posted by on May 5th, 2009 · Comments (20)

    The crew, yesterday on SNY’s WheelHouse, discuss the question. Here’s the video:

    What do you think? If you had to point out one thing that Brian Cashman has done better than Theo Epstein, what would you say?

    Comments on SNY WheelHouse: Who’s Better, Cash Or Theo?

    1. Jake1
      May 5th, 2009 | 2:42 pm

      No one hands out better checks than Cashman. Hes almost as good as Obama in spending other peoples dough

    2. Corey
      May 5th, 2009 | 3:56 pm

      since when did sny hire newman?

    3. May 5th, 2009 | 4:13 pm

      Jake1 wrote:

      No one hands out better checks than Cashman.

      ROTFLMAO. Great answer.

    4. butchie22
      May 5th, 2009 | 5:51 pm

      Ca$H man and Theo? Was this a joke? I like BT and the Wheelhouse but is there any question about that? They must be pretty desperate at the “Metwork” for topics if that is a question! Anyway, BT did a great job of breaking down the why (why Theo is better) in a sound bitey type of way.

      And the political analogy? Obama walks on water. How dare someone blaspheme such a great man. He will save this country…in the same way Cash Man has destroyed the Yankees!:)

    5. yagottagotomo1
      May 5th, 2009 | 5:55 pm

      He wins World Series better- 3 for Cash, 2 for Theo. Now I’m going to go away and let Steve and his boys write a bunch of posts about how Cash had nothing to do with those championships.

    6. May 5th, 2009 | 6:02 pm

      yagottagotomo1 wrote:

      He wins World Series better- 3 for Cash, 2 for Theo. Now I’m going to go away and let Steve and his boys write a bunch of posts about how Cash had nothing to do with those championships.

      Better yet, why don’t YOU post on why Cashman deserves the credit for building the cadre behind the 98-00 Yanks? Can you do that?

    7. Raf
      May 5th, 2009 | 6:07 pm

      ROTFLMAO. Great answer.
      ———–
      Got a laugh out of me as well :D

      ***********
      He wins World Series better- 3 for Cash, 2 for Theo. Now I’m going to go away and let Steve and his boys write a bunch of posts about how Cash had nothing to do with those championships.
      ———–
      Of course, the same could be applied to Theo, given that Ramirez, Lowe, Varitek, Pedro, Damon & Co were already with the team when he became GM in 2002(?)

    8. yagottagotomo1
      May 5th, 2009 | 7:04 pm

      Yeah, Raf, it is the same thing. Also, its not like Cash came from outside the org. He was there when those teams were built, and he added as necessary- if you give Theo credit for adding people who helped them win, what about Clemens, El Duque, David Wells, David Justice, Soriano, to name a few. he also had to decide whether to resign some of his own guys or let them go.

    9. May 5th, 2009 | 7:47 pm

      Raf wrote:

      Of course, the same could be applied to Theo, given that Ramirez, Lowe, Varitek, Pedro, Damon & Co were already with the team when he became GM in 2002(?)

      How many of those were on the 2007 Sox?

    10. May 5th, 2009 | 7:48 pm

      yagottagotomo1 wrote:

      Also, its not like Cash came from outside the org. He was there when those teams were built,

      Cashman was Stick and Watson’s coffee boy prior to 1998. Nothing else.

    11. yagottagotomo1
      May 5th, 2009 | 8:48 pm

      Yup. He was a coffee boy and they picked him as the GM. For some reason I doubt that.

    12. May 5th, 2009 | 10:42 pm

      Steinbrenner is famous for wanting “yes” men as a GM – along with them being willing to be the fall guy when things don’t work or when someone needs to play the “bad guy.” George, in his last few days, probably thought that Cashman was the perfect butt-kissing toady GM…since he would be thrilled to get the job, etc.

      Really, when Cashman was Asst. GM, did we ever hear that another team was dying to hire him as GM, ever? Not that I recall…

    13. yagottagotomo1
      May 5th, 2009 | 11:12 pm

      Yes man is different than coffee boy. Steinbrenner always hired baseball men. I highly doubt that he would hire Cash if they didnt see some baseball acumen from him in the Stick/Watson years.

    14. May 5th, 2009 | 11:29 pm

      Cashman’s “baseball acumen” has been well documented in recent seasons, no? The Pavano and Igawa signings, the decision to count on Hughes and Kennedy to be 40% of the rotation last year, etc.

      And, that’s after being on the job (as GM) for close to a decade and then he made those calls…wow!

    15. yagottagotomo1
      May 5th, 2009 | 11:36 pm

      Every GM makes mistakes. There’s no point in having this argument with you- we are not going to convince each other.

    16. butchie22
      May 5th, 2009 | 11:41 pm

      @ Yagotto. Steve and his boys? Steve and I are in our 40s I would hardly call us boys. I do have to school you and Raf on this topic of Cash Man vs Theo,though. The argument that yagotto makes of 3 WS v 2 WS is fundamentally flawed because it leaves out any inherent nuances that explain the boarder issues at hand.One in particular is the time frame inherent in how long they have both been GMs:Theo since 2003, Cash Man since 1998. Cahs Man has had how many years over Theo in his spot AND he hasn’t won anything since 2000! I noticed that you omitted that fact…how interesting. Here are the differences between the two in terms of World Series wins:

      1 Ca$h Man had a team that was built by Buck, Stick and Watson that was already in place. It wasn’t like he didn’t have a team that didn’t win anything in 86 years did he? Stick, Buck, and Watson (sounds like a wacky law firm) basically set up the foundation for years to come. My point about Ca$h Man is that he did little to screw up the team, but in the ensuing years since 2000, he has spent the most money(in MLB) on drafting , payroll and everything else and look at the results.During his regime, the Red Sox reversed the curse by beating his team on the way to do it in epic fashion. The ascent of the Red Sox happened under his watch AND they have won 2 in the last five years and the last time the Yankees won anything was 2000. That’s 8 years ago ,if you have any trouble counting……..

      Theo: Theo inherited a team that was bulit by Dan Duquette that could never quite get to the promised land under his aegis. When Theo took over from Mike Port, he added several pieces that were important to the mix. Kevin Millar,Bill Mueller,David Ortiz,Orlando Cabrera, Doug Mientkiewicz , Schilling and Foulke were added during those first two years to change the team for the best.I love it when Raf omits a small army of people that disproves his point! The team hadn’t won anything in 86 years, there was a feeling of doom and gloom and what happens? Theo, James, henry and Co changed the way the Red Sox did their business in terms of developing talent and building a team. In 2004, every Yankee fan’s nightmare came true. The Sox came back down 0-3 in the ALCS. Raf, this wasn’t exactly Duquette’s team anymore because Theo tweaked it especially with Schilling and Foulke in 2004. He also traded Nomar , who was the Red Sox equivalent of Jeter because of his bad attitude. That move als By the time 2007 rolled around, Theo started to bring in new people and these “old guard Sox” were being phased out bit by bit. The culture before Theo’s regime was one that was that of a perpetual loser BUT now that franchise is the gold standard while the Yankees have become less than that.

      And Yagotto, Cash Man started as an intern and I wouldn’t be surprised if he got people coffee. You evidently effed that detail up, bad job. Think about this last fact, the Red Sox are the model franchise in baseball , they have 2 World Series titles in 5 years and I have to endure bullshit about Cash Man’s 3 World Series!?? Talk about being a clueless homer!It’s funny how people forget the 2004 ALCS and the sting of it….absolutely effing shameless I say.

    17. yagottagotomo1
      May 5th, 2009 | 11:44 pm

      And Warren Buffett started in the mail room. He was not an errand boy when he got hired, he was an integral part of their baseball ops team.

    18. butchie22
      May 5th, 2009 | 11:53 pm

      yagottagotomo1 wrote:

      And Warren Buffett started in the mail room. He was not an errand boy when he got hired, he was an integral part of their baseball ops team.

      Ummm, he was an integral of the the ops team when he was an intern? UNH? He was an effing intern! He wasn’t their Bill James in 86 for chrissakes! It’s OK, keep Ca$h Man and watch the Yankees become an utter irrelevancy,. The pro Cash man contingent loves those last two World Series banners being flown in Boston in 2004 and in 2007 dontcha? They were one game away from the World Series last year and the Yankees were sitting on their thumbs watching them! And I have to hear garbage about this less than mediocre dolt, Brianless Ca$h Man. Enough already!

    19. yagottagotomo1
      May 6th, 2009 | 12:03 am

      No, and I never said that. he was an integral part of baseball ops when he was hired for the GM position. He started as an intern and worked his way up.

    20. Raf
      May 6th, 2009 | 12:10 am

      I do have to school you and Raf on this topic of Cash Man vs Theo,though.
      ———-
      You call what you wrote “a schooling?”

      “One in particular is the time frame inherent in how long they have both been GMs:Theo since 2003, Cash Man since 1998. Cahs Man has had how many years over Theo in his spot AND he hasn’t won anything since 2000!”

      Oh, so we’re going there now? Cashman became GM in 1998. His team won the World Series in that year. Theo became GM in 2002, his team didn’t win a World Series until 2004. What’s your point?

      “It wasn’t like he didn’t have a team that didn’t win anything in 86 years did he?”

      Last I checked, the Sox had won several division titles, pennants and wildcards before 2004.

      “I love it when Raf omits a small army of people that disproves his point”

      hahahahaha! Cashman did the same thing, or do players like Justice, Clemens, Vizcaino, Ventura, etc don’t count?

      “Theo, James, henry and Co changed the way the Red Sox did their business in terms of developing talent and building a team.”

      Really? Mo Vaughn, Nomar, Scott Hatteburg, Trot Nixon, etc etc etc were developed. Troy O’Leary, Darren Bragg, Darren Lewis, were traded for, Saberhagen, Rolando Arroyo were picked up off the scrap heap. The Red Sox have been doing what they’ve always done…

      But let’s not let facts get in the way of a good Ca$h Man bash ;)

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.