• May 6th vs. The Rays

Posted by on May 7th, 2009 · Comments (12)

Man, I really thought that Mark Teixeira was going to tie this one in the bottom of the 10th. No dice.

And, I was really hoping that Hideki Matsui would pick up Teixeira in that frame. No dice, again.

With this loss, the Yankees have now dropped 8 of their last 13 games. That’s bad. But, consider this…

Thirteen games ago, the Yankees got lucky in beating the A’s – when Oakland ran out of pitchers and
    Jose Veras pitched out of character, meaning “well,” for New York.

And, the Yankees were lucky to beat the Angels twice, when Los Angeles was in New York, because
    the Halos pen handed the Bombers both those games.

There’s a very good chance, based on the way New York has played, that they could (should?) be in a spot where
    they’ve lost 11 of their last 13 games. As such, is it a reach to say that Yankees have been a bunch of sad sacks the last two weeks?

And, I won’t even mention that they were just barely a .500 team before that.

Whoops.

I just did.

Comments on May 6th vs. The Rays

1. yagottagotomo1
      May 7th, 2009 | 1:40 am

Huh? So when they win by playing better than the other team, thats luck, but when they lose, thats because they are sad sacks? They played better than Oakland and Anaheim in those games. They’ve been playing poorly, but this is the same as when you go back at the schedule and take out wins against bad teams to show that the Yankees haven’t won since 1841.

2. Pat F
      May 7th, 2009 | 2:06 am

ay yi yi. it’s bad enough we’re losing, we don’t need these one-sided what ifs applied to make it worse. analyzing the game itself will suffice for a good kick in the stomach. wins are wins, losses are losses. by your logic, mariano handed the red sox that win friday night and burnett handed them the win the next day. mo blowing a 2 run lead with 2 outs in the 9th and burnett surrenderig a 6-0 lead are the same as veras giving us a good outing or the angels bullpen handing us games. those were losses we could have easily won. we could easily be 7-6 in the last 13. i’m sure there are other examples on both sides of the equation. you get contributions from unexpected sources in wins, and you get failures from steady guys in losses. these things even themselves out, so you can never say a team is worse or better than they are based on those things happening. it’s rarely going to work and it certainly doesn’t applied here.

3. butchie22
      May 7th, 2009 | 8:13 am

I understand the luck factor/negativity when they are not doing that well. Look I admit that the Angels are hurting BUT so is Toronto and look at what division they play in and how they are doing. The Yanks also gave up games thanks to their sometimes ineffective/sometimes fantastic pen. Ultimately, that factor of luck(which I think is overrated)is diminished because you play who you play and many things factor into it. The Yanks major problems have to do with an inconsistent pen and a clutch hitting problem. The season is so long that other teams weaknesses will crop up as well. Inherently, that doesn’t factor luck into it but rather the ebb and flow of a team’s individual players performance on a particular day.

On Sad Sack , I remember getting that comic when I was a kid. I started on Harveys and Gold keys then graduated into Charlton, DC and Marvel. That brings up some great memories of my childhood……..

4. MJ
      May 7th, 2009 | 8:40 am

Nonsense. Yes, they COULD’VE BEEN 2-11 but they could’ve also been 8-5 had they not lost the first two games in Boston or the Saturday game vs. Anaheim. They could’ve been 9-4 if they hadn’t lost last night.

This post isn’t about being a non-fan boy, this is a negative post for negativity’s sake. You live and die with the Yanks and it’s very apparent in this post that you’re in a rotten mood. I don’t blame you, we all are. But let’s not get carried away with the what-if stuff.

5. handtius
      May 7th, 2009 | 11:29 am

Oh my non-existent god. Can you be a more negative person? They could have won at least 3 of those RX games. They could have won last nights game. They could have swept the angels. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. So many games could go either way.

6. May 7th, 2009 | 11:35 am

handtius wrote:

Can you be a more negative person?

handtius – Every comment, IIRC, that you’ve ever left here is a harsh remark about something that I’ve written and/or expressed. So, I have to ask you the same question: Can you be a more negative person? After all, it seems, that all you want to do is complain about my opinion.

7. handtius
      May 7th, 2009 | 1:01 pm

That is not true, I have agreed with you in the past or had a constructive comment, but this is over the top. The past 2 post, this one and the bullpen, have been about subjects that can go one way or the other and you choose the negative of both. I understand you don’t like Cashman, so the bullpen one was more obvious, but this is a team you like and you’re picking to look at their successes as a glass half-empty, pointing out the negatives. If the team has no positives, why follow them at all? Just because you don’t like Cashman doesn’t mean you need to root against this team till he is fired. What is a happier outcome for you: Yankees win a world series this year or Cashman gets fired at the end of the year? I truly believe you would prefer Cashman getting fired.

8. May 7th, 2009 | 1:51 pm

handtius – and, many times, I have posted items that were feel good stories and/or praise for the Yankees or a player. But, you’re ignoring those, no?

9. May 7th, 2009 | 1:55 pm

handtius wrote:

10. handtius
      May 7th, 2009 | 2:34 pm

I do not. I read all the post, i have an RSS reader and enjoy all your post whether I agree or not, or I would not be a subscriber. I am more inclined to voice my opinion when I disagree.

11. handtius
      May 7th, 2009 | 2:36 pm

“Frankly, if the Yankees GM is doing his job, I don’t care about him. He could have three heads and like to dip his wick in goats and it’s no issue for me. My concern is over the performance of the team. If they play well, win, that’s all that matters. If not, I want to know why, and I want to see those issues addressed, properly.

So, given your question. I’d be happier to see the Yankees win a ring – and then Cashman is not my issue. However, if the Yankees do poorly, and it’s Cashman’s fault, then, yes, I would be happy to see him go.”

I agree with this, but I have a hard time believing you. You are so anti-cashman that I really don’t know.

12. Corey
      May 7th, 2009 | 2:42 pm

——–
      i believe it…we are all yankees fans here, first and foremost